Reload this Page >

Looking for advice regarding a potential family move to NZ

Looking for advice regarding a potential family move to NZ

Old Jun 29th 2015, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

purpleangel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for advice regarding a potential family move to NZ

Hi

Firstly, apologise for the vagueness of the post, but my partner and I have been discussing the possibility of making a break from the UK to pastures new for ourselves and our 2yo.

NZ is one of the countries on our current shortlist, as an English speaking country, but there are lots of things to take into consideration and I wondered if you could offer some advice:

1) Locations - we have a 2yo and all enjoy walking, countryside and visiting sites of local interest. We would need somewhere with good schooling options, somewhere in a safe neighbourhood with local parks and shops. Budget wise - I'm not sure, my husband is a programmer and I have an administrative background.

2) I'm interested in your experiences of integrating a toddler into a different country's education system. Our daughter currently attends nursery and is fairly adaptable to new situations.

3) What are the average property prices for a 3 bed house with parking and garden (I realise that is dependent on 1 above)
- rental initially, I would imagine

4) Moving costs? We are planning to use the smallest possible container option for essentials (clothes, toys, electrical items and a select few items of furniture, the rest we are planning to sell)

5) How much would you recommend as a 'float' to have available after the move? We would obviously be looking for work as soon as we could, my partner probably sooner than myself so that I can help our daughter adjust and settle into childcare.

I think that's everything for now - as this is something that we are looking at for a couple of years time.

Thanks for your help :-)
Old Jun 29th 2015, 7:59 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for advice regarding a potential family move to NZ

firstly you would need to find out if you could get a visa to enable you to be able to make the move. I would say with your career information that would be through you OH's occupation. look on Immigration NZ and come back and let us know what points you get from the points indicator. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/ check out the sticky: http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...d-pool-810756/ on what you can and cannot claim for.

also how prepared are you to be away from family and friends, do you know anyone in NZ? it is a very long way away from everything and there are additional costs you don't get in UK. every cent you earn is taxed, there is no child benefit (unless you are under a certain wage) shopping is expensive and there is lack of choice as it costs so much to import things. There are earthquakes, floods and land slides. Then in the summer the sun can be so hot that you will have to cover yourselves and kids in sun screen and mossie spray. Housing can be very different you would need to make sure that you get somewhere that is warm and free from mould, leaks and condensation and at a price you can afford. Renting you need a Bond which is usually a months rent as well as then 2 weeks rent in advance. you will need to be careful on which tenancy agreement you agree to as you can be locked in for a certain time and will be obligated to stick to the length even if you wish/do move out.https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles...lSjxoCW9Hw_wcB

for costs of renting/housing check out trademe and Real Estate, Houses for Sale, Rentals, Commercial and Businesses for sale at Realestate.co.nz - Realestate.co.nz, for jobs also checkout tradme and seek. lots to be thinking about
Old Jun 30th 2015, 5:17 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As was mentioned on the Canada forum, I see you are looking to Canada and Australia also.

First before anything else at all.

You need to ascertain if you are eligible for a visa at all. There is little to no point in discussing anything else until you know that you can actually love to a given country.

So. What are your current occupations and UK qualifications. Let's start from the bottom up.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 7:53 am
Just Joined

purpleangel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks - certainly lots to be thinking about.

We don't know anyone in NZ, but we aren't too concerned about living away from family and friends in the UK as we currently do that anyway.

My husband is looking into the visas, and I think he said that we would be eligible. His occupation is a computer programmer, highest qualification MA, my occupation is administrator, highest qualification MA - although I am looking to retrain as an early years teaching assistant and/or undertake PhD study.

Can you suggest any areas to consider at this early stage? Somewhere which isn't too humid or prone to earthquakes or flooding? We would like relatively easy access to the countryside or at least parks and a bit of scenery, good options for school too.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 9:35 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purpleangel
Can you suggest any areas to consider at this early stage? Somewhere which isn't too humid or prone to earthquakes or flooding? We would like relatively easy access to the countryside or at least parks and a bit of scenery, good options for school too.

Thanks again.
No NZ is a geologically active island, Auckland is made up of volcanoes that are still active, and everywhere is on a fault line some bigger and more active than others and some they haven't even mapped properly yet. NZ is also close enough to other active islands that tsunamis could also be a risk.
Further North is more volcanic than the southern regions which have the most snow and colder weather. think they had -10 last week.

The country is made up of townships and cities with many many miles of scenery in between with sometimes only one road in and out.
schooling is different than the UK and like every other country there is good and bad. most are zoned so schools would be where you live, if you want good schools then the area is going to be more expensive to live in.
Unless you can get a visa without a job offer you are going to be limited to where a job is given as to where you can go and as you say you are not thinking about this for another few years the goal posts on visa's may well of moved.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jun 30th 2015 at 9:37 am.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 1:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Unless you can get a visa without a job offer you are going to be limited to where a job is given as to where you can go and as you say you are not thinking about this for another few years the goal posts on visa's may well of moved.
True.

What do you mean by "looking into visas please". Under which policy do you believe you would be eligible.

If you are considering a permanent move to New Zealand then you really do need to check that you would be eligible to arrive and then to remain permanently.

Have an MA does not necessarily make you eligible.

Please try the official NZIS points indicator and come back with your current points level. To help you please note that computer programmers are currently in long term shortage here in New Zealand.

FWIW. Everywhere in New Zealand is vulnerable to earthquake and anywhere near rivers or the coast could be vulnerable to flooding.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 1st 2015 at 1:50 am.