Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

living in new zealand

living in new zealand

Old Nov 22nd 2002, 9:08 pm
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point
Question living in new zealand

as i am going through the beggining stages of immigrating to nz, i still am quite sure as to where i will live,i'm a toolmaker by trade so that would normally tell me to go to auckland or hamilto but i am also a keen surfer so tauranga is the place i am contemplating.if i am going to travel half the way around the world to live i want to make sure i'm in a place that is ni on perfect. also where my wife and 3 children can settle down in school,neighbourhood,etc. any advice would be great!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Why not fly out there and see for yourself. I am not trying to be rude but It amazes me that people contemplate immigration without flying out for a lengthy fact finding mission first. Probably the most important thing you could do in the whole immigration process.
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 10:18 pm
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink check it out first

i forgot to mention that myself and my wife are going to nz in june next year to check it out of course only a crazy person would'nt do that. it would be nice to know where i could travel to that people have already experienced themselve ( i wouldnt go there if i was you, or yeh its really nice there with loads of work about)
Old Nov 23rd 2002, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

rich.arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

Hamilton is close to a number of great surfing beaches including Raglan. I know a couple who live in Raglan and work in Hamilton. Plenty of Aucklanders surf but its a drive out situation. I guess it depends whether you want to live on the beach.
Old Nov 25th 2002, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are moving to Tauranga and have just spent two weeks there.The beaches are great and I think once we get used to how small it is we will settle down fine. The good thing about the schools is the number of pupils per class compared to here in the uk. There are a lot of new houses being built and apparently it is one of the fastest growing areas in New Zealand. I'm sitting here looking at the fog and rain waiting for the visa's to arrive. Sure NZ has problems just like anywhere else but I can't wait to move to Tauranga.
Old Nov 25th 2002, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

rich.arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Tauranga for a few months in 98 and loved it. Surf beaches, sunshine & cafes. If only it were close to the southern alps.