Reload this Page >

Living on $40k a year

Living on $40k a year

Old Sep 29th 2016, 2:00 am
Just Joined

thebrits is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living on $40k a year

Originally Posted by outback sunset
That's fantastic, you're adapting extremely well by the sounds of it. Start investing if you can, while you're young and you should soon have money to spare after all bills
We saved hard in the UK and have the money for a house deposit, but can't get a mortgage on my income alone. I am very lucky that my parents agreed to borrow against their (mortgage-free) home so that we could buy a house when my partner moved over instead of waiting for him to find a job. So I'm paying the interest-only mortgage on the full cost of the house (cheaper than rent) until we can get the mortgage on our own.

This has been extra advantageous as house prices have just started going up in our region - the house is making more $$ than me this year.

My partner is down to the reference check for a great job so hopefully soon we will be living the dream!!

Best of luck to you, I hope it all works out!
Old Sep 29th 2016, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

outback sunset is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thebrits
We saved hard in the UK and have the money for a house deposit, but can't get a mortgage on my income alone. I am very lucky that my parents agreed to borrow against their (mortgage-free) home so that we could buy a house when my partner moved over instead of waiting for him to find a job. So I'm paying the interest-only mortgage on the full cost of the house (cheaper than rent) until we can get the mortgage on our own.

This has been extra advantageous as house prices have just started going up in our region - the house is making more $$ than me this year.

My partner is down to the reference check for a great job so hopefully soon we will be living the dream!!

Best of luck to you, I hope it all works out!

Awesome on all counts. I love it too when my property is earning more than I am! Best of luck
Old Sep 29th 2016, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebrits

But wont the cost of every other house in the area be going up aswell, cancelling out any gain ??
Old Sep 29th 2016, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
But wont the cost of every other house in the area be going up aswell, cancelling out any gain ??

Yep, you hit the nail on the head there, increasing house prices are doing nothing for anyone but those who might be downsizing. Many in good jobs without a leg up, are getting further and further away from buying a house, especially in Auckland.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 6:59 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

my assumption is that they will just take over the existing mortgage from the parents if the mortgage company allows it.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's do able, if you've no dependants and no mortgage.
It's amazing too how you find ways to make little bits of money here and there if you think out the box. Also if you're just coming here for fun you can have lots of adventures for not a lot of money in NZ and if you don't have to be a slave to work.
I feel really excited for you, it's not like it's going to be forever and there's no rules are there as to how you should live your life so just have fun :-)
PS. I'm an extremely impulsive person though so I just jump in before I think and we are far from well off but NZ seems to have worked for us so far.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

outback sunset is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SSky
I think it's do able, if you've no dependants and no mortgage.
It's amazing too how you find ways to make little bits of money here and there if you think out the box. Also if you're just coming here for fun you can have lots of adventures for not a lot of money in NZ and if you don't have to be a slave to work.
I feel really excited for you, it's not like it's going to be forever and there's no rules are there as to how you should live your life so just have fun :-)
PS. I'm an extremely impulsive person though so I just jump in before I think and we are far from well off but NZ seems to have worked for us so far.

Thanks so much, always great to hear from someone with something to add to the thread rather than someone just jumping in to try to start an argument. I agree with you, it doesn't have to cost much to have adventures and I'd rather do the long and cheap version than be a slave to work and have an expensive 1 or 2 weeks. As you said, worst case scenario there will always be work or opportunities to make a living somewhere, if you look for them.

I'm impulsive too. I think it pays off though, stops you doing the same thing all the time because of analysis paralysis. You sound quite a bit like me, so if you're making it work then I think we should be fine too.