Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Leaving NZ for Aus

Leaving NZ for Aus

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:44 am
Just Joined

alievery is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Leaving NZ for Aus

Hi, sorry hopefully not too negative for all those new and excited immigrants coming to NZ. But I wondered if anyone is in the process or thinking about relocating from NZ to Australia but originally came to NZ from the UK?

We feel after 8 yrs we have outgrown NZ and although a fantastic place to bring up our young children in their Primary school years, we worry about what NZ has to offer them as teenagers and beyond. We live in Hawkes Bay, love it and wouldn't consider one of the big cities in NZ but have been looking in Queensland, north of Sunshine Coast.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or if anyone else is thinking similar.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving NZ for Aus

Sounds like a good idea? Just beware that you're not the only one to have thought of it - just as you've been here 8 years and it was so much easier/cheaper in NZ then... so it goes for QLD. Prices will have rocketed - it was/is a bit of a boomtown/State. I know lots of people who've gone to the GC zone, and like it.

Also, Aus is pretty tough on kiwis, unless you start down the PR route again.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Love the Sunshine Coast and used to spend a reasonable amount of time in Nooosa for weekend breaks etc. however work is hard to come by and many people struggle (depending on trade)

We did 9 years in Melbourne and work has brought is to NZ. Off to Melbourne tomorrow for a week.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:13 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I would check if you are going in as a NZ citizen is whether you or your children are going to miss out on any rights and entitlements regarding social welfare, health or education. For example, I don't think they will be able to get student loans. Of course if you can get PR it's not an issue.

I can't see anything negative about moving on after 8 years. Sounds like you achieved your aim and are ready for the next step. One other thing I just thought of though. My brother and I hated being moved around as a kid - I would make friends and then we'd move and I had to start all over again. I lost my place on the school netball A team and never got back to playing at that level because you have to start at the bottom again every time you move to a new school. Are your kids feeling positive about leaving?
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Not really sure what Oz can offer a teenager that NZ cant.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alievery
Hi, sorry hopefully not too negative for all those new and excited immigrants coming to NZ. But I wondered if anyone is in the process or thinking about relocating from NZ to Australia but originally came to NZ from the UK?

We feel after 8 yrs we have outgrown NZ and although a fantastic place to bring up our young children in their Primary school years, we worry about what NZ has to offer them as teenagers and beyond. We live in Hawkes Bay, love it and wouldn't consider one of the big cities in NZ but have been looking in Queensland, north of Sunshine Coast.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or if anyone else is thinking similar.
Hi

I have Australian PR so I'll try as best as I can to give you some points about Kiwis in Australia

You are entitled to apply for a Special Category Visa which allows Kiwis to move across the Tasman. However, you may have read some stories about Kiwis on this visa in Australia, this visa is not a residency visa. You'll be on the same sort of conditions other migrants are on, that have work visas. Therefore, things like election voting, welfare assistance, student loans, medical treatment I'm afraid you won't be able to have. One of you will have to be in work for at least 2 years and then you will be entitled to apply for Australian PR. I cannot recommend this enough as many a Kiwi don't do this, resulting in some unfortunate circumstances. If you do, apply!

Being an Australian PR gives you many things and allows you to travel in and out of Australia for 5 years freely. However, how old will your kids be in 7 years time? If they are considering going to university, you cannot obtain the Australian SLs until they are citizens. So you would ideally have to move before they reach their 11th birthdays so that by the time they turn 18, they will be able to apply for university and have the student loan. For an Aussie coming over, they just need to be in the country for 2 years before they have the right to obtain this. Why it's different, I can't answer

I've heard a lot about the Gold Coast and want to visit there in the future. As I'm in Sydney a lot with my job, I have found Manly the nicest place there. If you ever have the finances to afford a place there, I thoroughly recommend it. Sydney is a fantastic place, if they didn't have the insects and creepy crawlies there, we'd have chosen there instead of New Zealand to permanently settle.

From what I've seen, there is so much sport to enjoy in Australia so if they like their sports - I'd recommend you give it a go. Aussie Rules, both forms of Rugby, football, cricket etc. Just make sure if they become national stars, they represent England or New Zealand.

Last edited by Blade Down Under; Jul 23rd 2014 at 8:40 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We are thinking about it as well as other countries. If you work 2 years in Aussie does it matter how old you are to be able to claim PR. OH is 52 in October and I'm 50 in January. Though I'm trying to keep that quiet
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Justcol
Not really sure what Oz can offer a teenager that NZ cant.
Hi yes, we live in Hawkes Bay. Small place. My 2 older kids off their own backs have been looking at going to uni in England and the States. 14 yr old wants to be a musician, 16 yr old production. They are attracted to something they can't see in NZ...yes I know lots of us wanted to escape as teenagers, but after many discussions this is rational. We have driven from Adelaide, via Melbourne and Sydney this year and just came back from Noosa...down to Coolangatta. They loved the Gold Coast but were very in mature in knowing it is a tourist trap and we all agreed that Buderim in the Sunshine Coast (home of the Uni there) would be a great all round place for community, schools (will go and check them out with them later) and Life Surf Club as 2 older ones Life Guards. They are all very sporty and my big worry is that they do have so much more opportunity here in top teams because of the small population. Buderim has a mix of being near the rain forest and National Parks and the beach but also more of a small city feel they love. (and me). I have been thinking about this for 3 yrs after dismissing going back to the UK.

For them it has the happy medium of staying close to us going to Uni, staying here in NZ it would probably be Auckland, Otago or maybe Massey. Neither of those are places that they want to live in. I also have a 10 and 12 yr old to think of, not keen on the school the 10 yr old is going to next year so would be a good time to make the move.

Thank you.

Last edited by alievery; Jul 24th 2014 at 12:13 am.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bearskin
Sounds like a good idea? Just beware that you're not the only one to have thought of it - just as you've been here 8 years and it was so much easier/cheaper in NZ then... so it goes for QLD. Prices will have rocketed - it was/is a bit of a boomtown/State. I know lots of people who've gone to the GC zone, and like it.

Also, Aus is pretty tough on kiwis, unless you start down the PR route again.
thank you for comments....yes kids have Kiwi accent i don't!! I found Kiwis to be tough on our accent here (some) so that would be ok. We liked Buderim, near Moolooba in Sunshine Coast, came back yesterday. Found food to be be alot cheaper. We found so much to do for the kids....and as we live on Grabones here, we used Groupon over there with up to 70% off lots of things.
I do need to look into power bills etc. Rent seemed less or similar compared to where we are here.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blade Down Under
Hi

I have Australian PR so I'll try as best as I can to give you some points about Kiwis in Australia

You are entitled to apply for a Special Category Visa which allows Kiwis to move across the Tasman. However, you may have read some stories about Kiwis on this visa in Australia, this visa is not a residency visa. You'll be on the same sort of conditions other migrants are on, that have work visas. Therefore, things like election voting, welfare assistance, student loans, medical treatment I'm afraid you won't be able to have. One of you will have to be in work for at least 2 years and then you will be entitled to apply for Australian PR. I cannot recommend this enough as many a Kiwi don't do this, resulting in some unfortunate circumstances. If you do, apply!

Being an Australian PR gives you many things and allows you to travel in and out of Australia for 5 years freely. However, how old will your kids be in 7 years time? If they are considering going to university, you cannot obtain the Australian SLs until they are citizens. So you would ideally have to move before they reach their 11th birthdays so that by the time they turn 18, they will be able to apply for university and have the student loan. For an Aussie coming over, they just need to be in the country for 2 years before they have the right to obtain this. Why it's different, I can't answer

I've heard a lot about the Gold Coast and want to visit there in the future. As I'm in Sydney a lot with my job, I have found Manly the nicest place there. If you ever have the finances to afford a place there, I thoroughly recommend it. Sydney is a fantastic place, if they didn't have the insects and creepy crawlies there, we'd have chosen there instead of New Zealand to permanently settle.

From what I've seen, there is so much sport to enjoy in Australia so if they like their sports - I'd recommend you give it a go. Aussie Rules, both forms of Rugby, football, cricket etc. Just make sure if they become national stars, they represent England or New Zealand.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR INTERESTING INFO...I must admit I need to do my homework, we are awaiting for our Citizenship to come through, I thought we could just move across and live as an Aussie PR....we had friends go last year and they just turned up at the airport and went in without mentioning they were there to stay, I need to catch up with them re the visa rules.

I am spontaneous....although have been considering this for about 3 yrs after realising going home is not the answer now. Aus is a happy medium. So will go regardless. Kids really do not want to go to Uni here. Looking at Sunshine Coast. Yes my kids love sport and son wants to be an All Black lol!
Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:09 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alievery
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR INTERESTING INFO...I must admit I need to do my homework, we are awaiting for our Citizenship to come through, I thought we could just move across and live as an Aussie PR....we had friends go last year and they just turned up at the airport and went in without mentioning they were there to stay, I need to catch up with them re the visa rules.

I am spontaneous....although have been considering this for about 3 yrs after realising going home is not the answer now. Aus is a happy medium. So will go regardless. Kids really do not want to go to Uni here. Looking at Sunshine Coast. Yes my kids love sport and son wants to be an All Black lol!
Yes, provided you are of good health and character with nz citizenship you can just enter Australia, live and work there. That is not the same as PR though. As it stands you will never become an Australian permanent resident this way. You will need to apply for PR just as other would be migrants have to. The advantage for you with nz citizenship is you can just go over and find work first. Also, I think the PR application is a little cheaper for NZers.

No Australian citizenship means no access to student funding (though they will be classed as domestic students for fee purposes but will have to pay upfront each semester) as well as limited access to social support, etc. you should do your homework before you go down this route.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold

Yes, also be aware that since the budget this year, the costs of going to university could sky rocket. My son is doing med there and the indication is that his fees will go from around the $15,000pa to over $40,000pa in two years time and as he is there on a NZ passport has to pay upfront, that I do think is being changed however and NZer's can access HEC (student loans)
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:28 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polly 3
Yes, also be aware that since the budget this year, the costs of going to university could sky rocket. My son is doing med there and the indication is that his fees will go from around the $15,000pa to over $40,000pa in two years time and as he is there on a NZ passport has to pay upfront, that I do think is being changed however and NZer's can access HEC (student loans)
The proposals are for if they have lived in Australia for ten years.

See here:

What is the change?

Subject to the passage of legislation, from 1 January 2015, the Australian Government proposes changes that will allow eligible New Zealand SCV holders to access HELP loans.

Return to top
Am I eligible?

If you hold a New Zealand SCV you will be able to access HELP loans, providing you:

first entered Australia as a dependent minor aged under 18 years of age;
have been ordinarily resident in Australia for the previous 10 years (that is, you have been physically present in Australia for at least eight out of the past 10 years) and 18 months out of the last two years at the time of application for the loan; and
are otherwise eligible for the loan.
From: http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/stud.../pages/faqs-nz
Old Jul 24th 2014, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
The proposals are for if they have lived in Australia for ten years.

See here:

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR INFO. I am being a bit Essex here....in the eligibility section, are they saying you have to be all 3 or at least one of them, so if have NZ SCV then that is enough and don't have to have been there for 10 yrs.

Sorry, not normally thick but have read so much info over last few months I am brain dead when reading text!

- Am I eligible?

If you hold a New Zealand SCV you will be able to access HELP loans, providing you:

1. first entered Australia as a dependent minor aged under 18 years of age;

2.have been ordinarily resident in Australia for the previous 10 years (that is, you have been physically present in Australia for at least eight out of the past 10 years) and 18 months out of the last two years at the time of application for the loan;

3. and are otherwise eligible for the loan.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 10:39 am
---

That's called wishful thinking. The legislation is aimed specifically at kids who have been raised in Australia - they do not want to offer HECS-HELP to Kiwis, understandably.

And if you really want it spelled out: the clue is in the first word of number 3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.