Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Leaving Auckland...

Leaving Auckland...

Old Oct 22nd 2015, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

MegMac has a spectacular aura aboutMegMac has a spectacular aura aboutMegMac has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Leaving Auckland...

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Personally I like Dunedin, but then again they could just move to the Republic of Ireland and wouldn't be far from the UK to visit family. Co Wexford has a similar climate to Dunedin. Overall you have a lot of similarities. People speak English, nice scenery, sheep, pubs, rugby, low population density and at least you can get on the plane and go shopping in London + there's Lidl & Aldi.
Well we don't have any family in the UK so thats not an issue, and we are here already so we may as well try and have a good go at making it work before we make any decision about returning.

Originally Posted by garethwm
Plenty of good suggestions here. I think a lot depends on what you can afford in terms of housing. A town of say 20000 people might afford you a house for around the 300k mark. That might include say Te Awamutu in the Waikato, though thats not by the sea. But at least it will get you on the property ladder. Whangarei in the so called winterless north is another place to look.
We aren't really worried about the property ladder, we haven't sold up in the UK so we still own property over there. But I do think buying here will make us feel more settled. We haven't rented in almost 20 years and its a huge adjustment.

Dunedin is really starting to look good. Husband is very keen on the internet speeds. He still does some work in the UK and that would make it much easier for him.

Our itinerary is starting to come together nicely. It looks like we'll be spending time around Wellington, Nelson, Christchurch and Dunedin. We'll also visit Queenstown but that's more for a visit than an option to move to.

We haven't added Hawkes Bay to that because it isn't that far away, we'll do a few weekends down there instead.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

kiwi white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MegMac
Well we don't have any family in the UK so thats not an issue, and we are here already so we may as well try and have a good go at making it work before we make any decision about returning.

We aren't really worried about the property ladder, we haven't sold up in the UK so we still own property over there. But I do think buying here will make us feel more settled. We haven't rented in almost 20 years and its a huge adjustment.

Dunedin is really starting to look good. Husband is very keen on the internet speeds. He still does some work in the UK and that would make it much easier for him.

Our itinerary is starting to come together nicely. It looks like we'll be spending time around Wellington, Nelson, Christchurch and Dunedin. We'll also visit Queenstown but that's more for a visit than an option to move to.

We haven't added Hawkes Bay to that because it isn't that far away, we'll do a few weekends down there instead.
Also consider we have been here 10 years and this was by far the worst winter so far, it's not normally so cold and wet. Last year was very mild.

We love Dunedin and invested in upvc double glazing and insulation and we don't feel the cold at all. Our 3 bed house with a sea view was 300k. I would say the temperature down here is similar to Leeds where we are from but with more sunshine and less rain.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Oct 22nd 2015 at 9:48 pm. Reason: formatting
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 9:44 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a huge amount to contribute to this thread location wise but just wanted to pop in and wish you all the best MegMac. Sounds like you are giving your move a lot of thought and trying to change your lifestyle for the better, good on ya

Be sure to give us an update of where you decide to move and how you are settling in!
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 11:02 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Leaving Auckland...

Guys?!! Can we stop this sillyness please, if Aucklanders discover the rest of New Zealander they'll flood it and take all our "niceness". We should be discussing building a security barrier and telling them they are not welcome here.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Guys?!! Can we stop this sillyness please, if Aucklanders discover the rest of New Zealander they'll flood it and take all our "niceness". We should be discussing building a security barrier and telling them they are not welcome here.
I'm more than happy if others want to leave. I love living in the Auckland region .

MegMac, sorry that Auckland hasn't worked out for you. This last winter has been one of the coldest we've had since we arrived in Jan '07. I wish you well with your plans. Life is far too short to be unhappy. So good luck and I hope you can find the right place for you.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Can understand your frustration with Auckland. Been here quite a while and if we weren't living in Auckland we wouldn't be in NZ.

However, when we first came here we heard so much about the South Island that we moved down there. Initially to Dunedin and then to Invercargill. But decided after some months that the South Island wasn't for us. We've also lived up North - way up north and of course it's quite different from all the other places. And must sa it had the best weather of all the other places and enjoyed it the most. But, Auckland is definitely our last place before we finally depart.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

I think I would eventually go MAD if I have to live in Auckland forever...

get out when you can.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Nah, really meant depart Auckland, not in a box. No, there's much life and adventure left in us yet.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

MegMac has a spectacular aura aboutMegMac has a spectacular aura aboutMegMac has a spectacular aura about

Just wanted to update this thread.

We are currently on our road trip. We are only 2 days into it but I'm already feeling much better having left Auckland.

We're in New Plymouth at the moment and I quite like it here. Just the right size for me but I'm not making any decisions yet. We are off to Wellington tomorrow, I'm looking forward to that as well.

I think I'm just happy having left Auckland, I guess I didn't realise how much I hated it there. But anyway I'll keep this thread updated on the places we visit.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 8:03 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm already feeling much better having left Auckland.
For me, happiness is Auckland in my rear view mirror.

Good luck with the rest of your travels. We usually go to New Plymouth for a picnic on the beach on Boxing Day but we went to a local beach this year and saved ourselves the five hour round trip.

All the best for 2016.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to update this thread.

We are currently on our road trip. We are only 2 days into it but I'm already feeling much better having left Auckland.

We're in New Plymouth at the moment and I quite like it here. Just the right size for me but I'm not making any decisions yet. We are off to Wellington tomorrow, I'm looking forward to that as well.
Enjoy your trip. Are you coming back up the east coast via Napier and Tauranga and are you going to the South Island?
Old Dec 28th 2015, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy your trip. Are you coming back up the east coast via Napier and Tauranga and are you going to the South Island?
South Island is friendlier and Nelson/Bays good climate and sea but pretty isolated in the sense of ChCh and Wellington only civilisation as you would know it :-)
Far North eg Kerikeri or nearby coast would be my choice having lived in both. Kerikeri has enough expats to not be too insular, great climate and coast and only 3 hrs by car from Auckland. Neither are 'cheap' but a lot better than Auckland.

Dunedin, nice city but the winters will kill you and it is all a bit grey :-)

Peter
Old Dec 29th 2015, 12:00 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

We're in New Plymouth at the moment..... We are off to Wellington tomorrow, I'm looking forward to that as well.
If you can find Wanganui on the map, you are welcome to swing by our place for a cup of tea at the mid point of what can be a five hour drive from New Plymouth to Wellington.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
If you can find Wanganui on the map, you are welcome to swing by our place for a cup of tea at the mid point of what can be a five hour drive from New Plymouth to Wellington.
We've been really busy I haven't had much time to even get on the internet.

Snap Shot we loved Wanganui. It had such a great feel to it. Sadly we only spent a couple of hours there, but I've told Mr Mac we need to do a couple more days there to explore further.

Wellington was interesting. I know some people love it but I don't think it's for us. I clearly don't like bigger cities. That ones a definate no.

We arrived on the South Island this morning and I'm currently enjoying one of Nelson's fabulous beaches. We're here for a few more days then off to Christchurch.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

We're on the South Island, were back in two weeks then going up through the middle of the north island.

But we are planning a weekend in Tauronga in Feb, so will get to see it then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.