Reload this Page >

Just out of interest

Just out of interest

Old Oct 22nd 2017, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

MillwardFamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just out of interest

Hi all,

I've mostly been considering US or Canada as a place for us to live. However, I've always fancied NZ for no other reason than I think the country is wonderful.

I've done no research into it due to looking at the above countries but just wanted to ask a simple question (hopefully).

What is the demand like for people working in the financial services industry.. automotive and agricultural ? I can see that finance related jobs are not on the shortage lists so wondering if it's a massive long shot.

Many thanks,
Dan

Last edited by MillwardFamily; Oct 22nd 2017 at 3:37 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just out of interest

If you hate your job ( as you say in another post) why would you look to continue doing it.
Doing a job you hate in another country is probably more stressful than doing back home
as you also have the stresses of an unfamiliar country and culture and home sickness to deal with too

If you have issues, moving half way around the world doesnt make them go away
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Justcol
If you hate your job ( as you say in another post) why would you look to continue doing it.
Doing a job you hate in another country is probably more stressful than doing back home
as you also have the stresses of an unfamiliar country and culture and home sickness to deal with too

If you have issues, moving half way around the world doesnt make them go away
Hi, thanks for the reply. It's more the company that's the issue not the actual job role.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillwardFamily
Hi, thanks for the reply. It's more the company that's the issue not the actual job role.
What about changing company then? Just because a country is wonderful doesn't mean you'll actually experience the wonderful bits and every location will have it's pros and cons.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
What about changing company then? Just because a country is wonderful doesn't mean you'll actually experience the wonderful bits and every location will have it's pros and cons.
Ofcourse that is an option, my comment on my job role on the other thread was just in response to that particular question.. it has little to do with my family's desire to move abroad.

We want to move to offer a better lifestyle in terms of community, weather, activities, a fresh start, new experiences and enjoying more of the world we live in.

I'm not expecting any monetary benefit to move, I'm happy to stay in a role that I'm familiar with as I would offer a perspective employer a lot more experience than I could if I was to look at a total career change.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillwardFamily
Ofcourse that is an option, my comment on my job role on the other thread was just in response to that particular question.. it has little to do with my family's desire to move abroad.

We want to move to offer a better lifestyle in terms of community, weather, activities, a fresh start, new experiences and enjoying more of the world we live in.

I'm not expecting any monetary benefit to move, I'm happy to stay in a role that I'm familiar with as I would offer a perspective employer a lot more experience than I could if I was to look at a total career change.
Sure but again I think it's a myth that these countries will automatically offer the things you mentioned. Regardless of visa what would be the point of a move to let's say New Zealand if you were financially worse off (higher living cost) and actually had longer working hours? It will depend on location and how you define a better lifestyle.

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 23rd 2017 at 1:08 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 6:51 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we had a better life/work balance in the UK and the kids did more activities in the UK, lots of stuff here is seasonal and others are just to far away to consider doing them. fro example kids had to drop fencing as there are just no clubs around under an hours drive away.

Weather here can be extreme then of course you got the added bonus of earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions and not just within NZ but from other countries close by.

Then of course you need to find out about a visa and if you can actually uplift one will include the whole family. Getting a job offer does not mean Immigration will grant you a visa.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 10:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Sometimes people just feel a pull to try living somewhere abroad/overseas. It doesn't have to 100% sensibly add up. It is a feel.

My own grass is not greener here than it was before we emigrated to NZ. It is simply a different shade of green. For many it is a great place to bring up their families but our individual points of view and experience are very subjective really.

If the Millward family are investigating emigrating then New Zealandis worth a bit of a look to see if it could perhaps work for them.

Millward family:

I have looked at your other posts. You appear to be an underwriter for an insurance company. Hopefully you have quals & work exp for this.

The occupation in itself is not on the shortages lists HOWEVER a company that is a New Zealand Immigration Accredited employer is free to offer someone from overseas a position regardless of the shortages lists. Are you with me on this?

AIG is an NZ Accredited Employer. Contact their HR dept to have a chat. ( click bold type for link)
Same for IAG.

In fact have a google of New Zealand finance and insurance companies and plug them into the NZ Accredited employer search

Any relevant company that is on that list could be approached .

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 23rd 2017 at 10:27 pm. Reason: edit to alter and add info.