Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Joiner thinking to move to Christchurch

Joiner thinking to move to Christchurch

Old Mar 3rd 2015, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Builder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud of
Default Re: Joiner thinking to move to Christchurch

Dewalt DCF886D2-GB 18V XR Compact Brushless 2AH Impact Driver £185

Dewalt Li-Ion Impact Driver Kit 18V XR With 2x 3.0Ah Batteries SKU 00185157 | Bunnings Warehouse $670
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

scottt1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tallnick
The thought of having work lined up before i go over does seem like the safer option but from what I've heard there crying out for tradesmen.
thats they way I'm looking at it, if I've got worked lined up its something less to worry about over there. I've heard the same as you that there crying out for tradesman..

does seem quite a bit of money to get your tools over, the first week or two out there will be very expensive with car/van insurance tools!

maybe i'll just try get my work to give me a reference haha
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Builder UK
I'll probably get jumped on here for being negative, but, I would strongly recommend you go out there for a look first.

I pay my lads in the UK £150.00 per day for a maximum 8hr day

Good luck with it.

all opinions are welcome, and I'm actually quite glad someone with your view on it and experience by the sounds of things have posted, are you talking from experience going out having a look first? I'm still employed by the company i served my time with, and id be looking at it as gaining experience as well as an adventure. i don't want to regret not trying working in another country, especially before I'm tied down.

id come work for you if your paying your guys that sort of money daily!!

if id tried to apply to your company for a project management position and you seen i was like 24 a time served joiner and had a degree in project management would you employ me or would you look at it as he's no real building experience, gain more site experience first?

when you say poorly paying what hourly wage are they getting do you know?

in my opinion it would appeal a lot more to these people because of the lack of jobs and poor wages in there own countries, so going to NZ for them is better money but in comparison to us its roughly the same as home?!

seen the dewalt impact gun - frightening the price difference!!

cheers!
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Tallnick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottt1
tdoes seem quite a bit of money to get your tools over, the first week or two out there will be very expensive with car/van insurance tools!
To be fair to buy all my tools all over again will cost well over 3000£ so the price of shipping doesn't seem so bad.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Builder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scottt1
all opinions are welcome, and I'm actually quite glad someone with your view on it and experience by the sounds of things have posted, are you talking from experience going out having a look first? I'm still employed by the company i served my time with, and id be looking at it as gaining experience as well as an adventure. i don't want to regret not trying working in another country, especially before I'm tied down.

id come work for you if your paying your guys that sort of money daily!!

if id tried to apply to your company for a project management position and you seen i was like 24 a time served joiner and had a degree in project management would you employ me or would you look at it as he's no real building experience, gain more site experience first?

when you say poorly paying what hourly wage are they getting do you know?

in my opinion it would appeal a lot more to these people because of the lack of jobs and poor wages in there own countries, so going to NZ for them is better money but in comparison to us its roughly the same as home?!

seen the dewalt impact gun - frightening the price difference!!

cheers!
I am 27, I run a small plastering & rendering business and also do a lot of external wall insulation qualified at level 3 for both, so age doesn't matter.

A HNC in project management would take you 3/4 years depending on if you had to do the entry course which is 1 year and costs about £4000, it would open a lot of doors for you, most countries would take you and I know in UK you'd be on minimum £40k and a guy I know in nz is on 110,000$, hard work though mentally.

On the tools over there you won't make a mint 35$ tops, which sounds ok, but factor the price of living, food, rent, vehicle and for me I would have been driving all over the North Island, so long commutes.

The Asians out there get paid a standard wage, but are housed by the construction companies, who charge them for food and living accomadation and they send a lot of money home.

You can't compare UK wages and nz wages like you have.

UK you earn £15.00 per hour or you should do, but the cost of living is far cheaper.

Nz you earn the same in nzd, but the cost of living is far higher, you money won't go as far.

There are several more reasons why i decided to stop in UK, housing being the main concern, I wouldnt invest in the housing over there as I believe the quality is shockingly poor.

The rendering industry over there is none existent, they probably don't know what EWI is and probably won't get it for a long time, thought it is desperately needed.

I was about 25 when I went and got caught up in the doom and gloom of the UK, but believe me when I returned to the UK I came back with my eyes open, set up a business and took advantage of what the UK offered.

With respect, on this forum, you have people that sold houses in the south of England and could go to nz with a decent wack of cash, when the exchange rate was better, so they will contradict what I say, some others are there and struggle other are still in the honeymoon period.

By all means go and give it a good go, you might like it and it will be an experience, but make sure you keep enough to get back to UK.

Your probably entitled to a 12 month working holiday visa
Old Mar 4th 2015, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

You can't compare UK wages and nz wages like you have.

UK you earn £15.00 per hour or you should do, but the cost of living is far cheaper.
i might look into the degree when I'm back, just looking to go out and experience everything, good or bad. i don't know any joinery firm that pays more than £12.50 an hour for a joiner..

see how you say you went out when you were 25 and came back to the UK and it opened your eyes to what you left in the UK?! thats basically the reasoning behind me going out, too many people i meet in my trade regretting not going abroad so while I'm still young I'm going to experience what its like abroad - i might come back in a year or two and Scotland will be the place for me, but i don't want to spend the rest of my life what if'ing....

thanks very much for your reply, you brought the whole fantasy of working in NZ back down to earth!

no doubt post on this thread how i get on in NZ!
Old Mar 5th 2015, 8:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You can't compare UK wages and nz wages
Agreed. Comparing country to country is not wise.

One needs to look at NZ net income and then all NZ outgoings & set up costs to see if it is all viable or not.

For a year or two experience on the tools for a single person , it is probably a goer. If one wishes to stay permanently , then other factors kick in to enable the person to gain residency.

Further , if one wishes to retrain into another occupation there are several factors to consider.

As has been stated New Zealand is it's own country . Underneath it all, it is very different to the UK in approach