Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job prospects in NZ for psychology degree?

Job prospects in NZ for psychology degree?

Old Apr 14th 2015, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Maria31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Job prospects in NZ for psychology degree?

Hi,
My dad has been offered a job in Auckland and has asked if i want to come and said that he would support me and pay for any additional uni courses i might need.

What are my jobs prospects for my psychology degree if i decide to go?

Are there many opportunities to pursue a career in psychology? ie clinical, educational and health psychology.

and what about general competition for psychology jobs/postgrad spaces?

If anyone can help that would be great or if anyone knows of someone I can speak to in NZ. There is so much to think about its so confusing.
Thanks
Old Apr 14th 2015, 9:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Job prospects in NZ for psychology degree?

Hi there and welcome to BE

Are you currently dependent on your Dad please? In other words are you living under his roof with little to no income of your own.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS

Are you currently dependent on your Dad please? In other words are you living under his roof with little to no income of your own.
I have my own income but its only National Min in the Uk so not huge. My dad would literally have to support me (ie housing, bills etc) in NZ while I get my self sorted if I did go.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS

Oh yeah.. and I am living with my dad at the moment but If i didn't go I would go live with other family in UK
Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:13 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

how old are you? you may need to show dependency on your dad in the UK to be able to come over on his visa as a dependent child.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
how old are you? you may need to show dependency on your dad in the UK to be able to come over on his visa as a dependent child.
Early 20s, finished degree last yr.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:24 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

" When applying for residence, a child must be no more than 24 years of age when the application is submitted, and unmarried and totally or substantially reliant on the parent/s for financial support.

For children aged 21 to 24 years of age, evidence of actual dependence may be required and they must have no children of their own.
Children aged 18 to 20 years of age can be considered dependent even if they are not financially dependent on their parent(s), but they must be single with no children of their own.
Children aged 17 years of age or younger can be considered dependent even if they are not financially dependent on their parent(s), but they must be single."

taken from When are children considered 'dependent'? - Immigration NZ Knowledgebase please read on as it explains dependency for anyone between 21 -24

please read on from there
Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:25 pm
`

Originally Posted by Maria31
I have my own income but its only National Min in the Uk so not huge. My dad would literally have to support me (ie housing, bills etc) in NZ while I get my self sorted if I did go.
Hope I didn't sound off-putting. I wouldn't mean it that way. I'm all about trying to help. If you are to go with your dad then it is important that you are seen as currently 'dependent on him' there in the UK by the NZ immigration service. It isn't about him helping you out once you are here in NZ until you got onto your own feet. It would be about you being seen as dependant on him there in the UK..... if you see what I mean.

Originally Posted by NZ Immigration
Skilled Migrant Investor, Entrepreneur, Residence from Work and other residence categories

Dependent children of a principal applicant are children aged up to 24 years who are single and who have no children of their own. Dependent children must be totally or substantially reliant on their parents for support; however, if they are aged between 18 and 20 years, they may be financially independent. Those aged between 21 and 24 years need not live with you but must at least rely mainly on you or your partner for financial support.

Temporary Work, Study, Visit or Limited Purpose Visas

Dependent children of a principal applicant are children aged up to 19 years who are single and who have no children of their own. They need not live with you but must at least rely mainly on you or your partner for financial support.
Do you already have your degree and are working in the profession please?

Unless your Dad is to apply to be an NZ resident , then there would be international student fees for any further study you would undertake in New Zealand.

If you are not really UK dependent on your Dad, then you would apply to come to NZ under your own steam.

Psychologist is an occupation that requires NZ registration here in NZ so NZ Immigration would wish to see that. Here is a link to the NZ regulatory board. HERE
Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:31 pm
`

Here is an NZ careers link ref. Psychologist.

Another thought if you are not actually UK dependant on your Dad is that given your age, you simply apply for a two year NZ working holiday visa . You could come out on that and look around for work in your profession .

You know what. You are young. Go for it with your Dad anyway you can. With other family in the UK you have absolutely nothing at all to lose and a great experience on your horizon.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 10:26 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just come for a holiday and see how you feel. You might find if you don't think of it being 'forever' the decision is easier.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 1:58 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maria31
Hi,
My dad has been offered a job in Auckland and has asked if i want to come and said that he would support me and pay for any additional uni courses i might need.

What are my jobs prospects for my psychology degree if i decide to go?

Are there many opportunities to pursue a career in psychology? ie clinical, educational and health psychology.

and what about general competition for psychology jobs/postgrad spaces?
Here's the NZ psychological society - it is not like the BPS: NZPsS | The New Zealand Psychological Society

Basically, an undergrad psychology degree is just the first step (as I'm sure you know - same as in the UK), so you would be using your degree to gain entry to postgrad training. It's a bit complicated depending on where you are moving to, what area of psychology you want to enter, and what your undergrad degree is and what GPA you have. If you can answer those we can give you more specific advise.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 7:17 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Job prospects in NZ for psychology degree?

People with psychology degrees find employment? Is it safe to release them?
Old May 12th 2015, 3:57 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

They do indeed

Six/seven years of study/supervised practice is usually enough to determine if we're safe/sane enough to practice.

Immigration issues aside, there is generally a shortage of psych's over here (as there are only so many uni places/supervised practice opportunities available). Specific advice really does depend on which scope of practice you are interested in?