Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job offer Wellington but wife concerned

Job offer Wellington but wife concerned

Old Apr 26th 2016, 10:07 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer Wellington but wife concerned

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
.. It has put me right off contributing further as it isn't helpful in any way.
Please keep going as all views (so long as expressed appropriately) are welcome. Most peeps can see all points of view, sift out a few time wasters/trollers, and have a good conversation where we are all a bit more informed at the end of the day.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say that I am amazed the Moderators were so moderate.

Someone starting out with a "ban me, I dare you" approach and no useful content should (in my biased opinion) have all posts and PMs queued for moderation as soon as the distasteful picture starts to emerge.

Trolls will be trolls - best ignore them - and don't be put off posting.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Someone starting out with a "ban me, I dare you" approach and no useful content
If we banned everybody that posted with 'no useful content' we'd have no forum members left. We can only take action against those that break site rules, not those that are just annoying or don't contribute (unfortunately).

We also can't moderate PM's by the way, so there's no way to queue those. All we can do is act if somebody reports a PM that breaks site rules and then ban the member (as happened in this instance).
Old Apr 27th 2016, 8:01 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Situation on the trolling post has been explained, let's not carry along this track and let's get back to the original topic. Thanks
Old Apr 28th 2016, 1:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Please keep going as all views (so long as expressed appropriately) are welcome. Most peeps can see all points of view, sift out a few time wasters/trollers, and have a good conversation where we are all a bit more informed at the end of the day.

Yes hang around Munchkjn. Don't let the trolls get you down, they pop up from under their bridge once in a while and are stamped on fairly quickly.

Anyway is Mrs Munchkjn any less concerned or still feeling the same?
Old Apr 28th 2016, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

john_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kotare
Munchkin said it on one of the threads, I will look.

I like the 'command' voice, yo aren't ex Forces are you? :-)
Does the command voice come with choppy hand motions?
Old May 2nd 2016, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Wellington - at speed, filmed by someone who lived here. Worth a watch as it shows a lot of the city and what life is like.

https://vimeo.com/137660695

Last edited by MOSO; May 2nd 2016 at 6:49 am.
Old May 2nd 2016, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MOSO
Wellington - at speed, filmed by someone who lived here. Worth a watch as it shows a lot of the city and what life is like.

https://vimeo.com/137660695
What a gorgeous video - thank you so much for posting it. We haven't been there yet, so it's a great taster.
Old May 23rd 2016, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Bezza is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, haven't used this forum for 10 years, but was googling Wellington (as I'm looking for investment properties in the area) and found links to this site. Saw this thread and it made me find my old password just to give my two cents as I can't recognise the city from most of the opinions on here.

Please don't be put off my such a minority of people that are portraying the city in such a bad light. Go with your gut, and more importantly go with the people you speak to that are currently living it and that you have a resemblance of trust with.

So many agenda's on here. So much hurt from people that it hasn't worked out for (and thats ok as its not for everyone and we all have different stories). But just remember the 10's of thousands of happy poms living here who dont ever think to come back on this forum once they get on with their lives (selfishly I know as it was very helpful for us when we were researching).

Disclaimer: I personally live in Auckland, but was fortunate enough to move here and buy when the market was it its lowest. But I regularly visit Wellington on smooth and ultra crazy flights/landings and still love it!.

I have a few kiwi mates from Wellington (yup living in Aucks) that love the place and are trying to convince their other halves to cash up and move south.

Yep the weather can be atrocious, but it can also be astronomical! You will certainly see a significant improvement from where you currently live I can promise!!

Secret is buy a house that is not in a wind tunnel nor over shadowed by a hill.

Do what is right for you and your family, but please please please dont be put off by such a minority opinion of british expats currently living it in NZ. Their opinions are valid, but just because they are in the majority here on this forum, don't think that is the case in the real world.

All the best.
Old May 23rd 2016, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bezza
Hi there, haven't used this forum for 10 years, but was googling Wellington (as I'm looking for investment properties in the area) and found links to this site. Saw this thread and it made me find my old password just to give my two cents as I can't recognise the city from most of the opinions on here.

Please don't be put off my such a minority of people that are portraying the city in such a bad light. Go with your gut, and more importantly go with the people you speak to that are currently living it and that you have a resemblance of trust with.

So many agenda's on here. So much hurt from people that it hasn't worked out for (and thats ok as its not for everyone and we all have different stories). But just remember the 10's of thousands of happy poms living here who dont ever think to come back on this forum once they get on with their lives (selfishly I know as it was very helpful for us when we were researching).

Disclaimer: I personally live in Auckland, but was fortunate enough to move here and buy when the market was it its lowest. But I regularly visit Wellington on smooth and ultra crazy flights/landings and still love it!.

I have a few kiwi mates from Wellington (yup living in Aucks) that love the place and are trying to convince their other halves to cash up and move south.

Yep the weather can be atrocious, but it can also be astronomical! You will certainly see a significant improvement from where you currently live I can promise!!

Do what is right for you and your family, but please please please dont be put off by such a minority opinion of british expats currently living it in NZ. Their opinions are valid, but just because they are in the majority here on this forum, don't think that is the case in the real world.

All the best.
Old May 23rd 2016, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

All the best.

All valid points, but then again you haven't experienced Wellington permanently (no offence:-). I agree totally and people should do what they think is right, but there is a danger if people are focused on better weather. As you say, avoid a wind tunnel etc. but it might be crap if you end up in one and people who want to escape rain won't be happier if they expected a dry climate. For me personally it's not a problem and I always adapt. Wellington can be a great city, there's plenty to do, but if one person loves it and the partner hates it, the problems begin.
Old May 25th 2016, 11:05 am
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

All the best.
Thanks for message Bezza. I agree, I have visited the place albeit briefly, so I've seen the place with my own eyes at least and what I saw I liked. Wellington reminded me of Bristol (without the nasty bits) plonked next to a beautiful bay and set in the hills with a better climate (and yes it is better despite what some say on this forum). If we don't like it, we can go back to the UK or France or Spain or wherever and and put the whole thing down to experience. You are a long time dead as they say, so we are all up for a new experience. If on balance things are slightly better than UK then who knows we may end up making it a permanent move and put down some roots. If we don't try, we'll never know.

On the subject of the forumites, they are a self selecting bunch. A significant proportion (certainly not all) will have gravitated towards an internet forum devoted to moving abroad wistfully wishing they hadn't made the move. As others have said, we dont hear from the other 99.9% of British expats who are living a life in NZ. I have been reading some other threads with interest and it is interesting that certain posters post pretty much the same refrain on every thread almost as a catharsis to their experience.

The forum provides a useful outlet for these people but it can be rough for new comers who are expecting something a little more balanced. You are unlikely to get that here, but that's not to say there aren't lovely, helpful people on the forum. Sometimes the message gets drowned out though. Thanks to all who have contributed by the way, I appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.
Old May 25th 2016, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for message Bezza. I agree, I have visited the place albeit briefly, so I've seen the place with my own eyes at least and what I saw I liked. Wellington reminded me of Bristol (without the nasty bits) plonked next to a beautiful bay and set in the hills with a better climate (and yes it is better despite what some say on this forum). If we don't like it, we can go back to the UK or France or Spain or wherever and and put the whole thing down to experience. You are a long time dead as they say, so we are all up for a new experience. If on balance things are slightly better than UK then who knows we may end up making it a permanent move and put down some roots. If we don't try, we'll never know.

On the subject of the forumites, they are a self selecting bunch. A significant proportion (certainly not all) will have gravitated towards an internet forum devoted to moving abroad wistfully wishing they hadn't made the move. As others have said, we dont hear from the other 99.9% of British expats who are living a life in NZ. I have been reading some other threads with interest and it is interesting that certain posters post pretty much the same refrain on every thread almost as a catharsis to their experience.

The forum provides a useful outlet for these people but it can be rough for new comers who are expecting something a little more balanced. You are unlikely to get that here, but that's not to say there aren't lovely, helpful people on the forum. Sometimes the message gets drowned out though. Thanks to all who have contributed by the way, I appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.
But what do you expect when you post on a forum, be it BE or any other? Especially if the topic is Wife concerned, it would be unfair to say go for it. If you've already made up your mind, maybe you should have written "How do I convince my wife".

As long as you've discussed everything with your wife then go for it. If not, discuss what will happen if she hates it etc. and that has nothing to do with New Zealand.
Old May 25th 2016, 12:27 pm
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
But what do you expect when you post on a forum, be it BE or any other? Especially if the topic is Wife concerned, it would be unfair to say go for it. If you've already made up your mind, maybe you should have written "How do I convince my wife".

As long as you've discussed everything with your wife then go for it. If not, discuss what will happen if she hates it etc. and that has nothing to do with New Zealand.
Ha ha, I knew you'd be the first!

I didn't write that! The title of post was created for me after I posted in the welcome section. Anyway, this has certainly been an education in internet forum ettiquette.
Old May 25th 2016, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ha ha, I knew you'd be the first!

I didn't write that! The title of post was created for me after I posted in the welcome section. Anyway, this has certainly been an education in internet forum ettiquette.
The peeps in NZ are in bed now, so had to be me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.