Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job offer Wellington but wife concerned

Job offer Wellington but wife concerned

Old Apr 24th 2016, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer Wellington but wife concerned

Originally Posted by Assanah
One can never say what the future holds. I followed all the yay - sayers, didn't listen to negative posts, hopped on a plane, found a decent job in Auckland, great friends, enjoyed the beautiful landscape, and am now happily settled back in Europe. Turns out that I agree with the nay-sayer

Anyhow, I want to make the case to not only evalue the material situation but also the human side. Be aware that you are taking a major risk, especially if your wife is not on board! Do speak about what will happen if one is unhappy! I met a couple where she was unhappy and he loved it (funnily enough the combination of man liking NZ, and the woman not, seems to happen more often than the other way around). They had talked about the situation beforehand and agreed to return home if one of them won't like it. And that was what they did. I also know a couple where she is back in Europe with the kids and he is still in Auckland.

I also like to encourage you to think about leaving your extended family behind. Will you be able to cope with not being a big part of their lives? What about when they will get sick and die? Are you prepared to not hold the hands of your dying parent? Consider the possibility that your own kids as adults will decide to live in Europe.

I don't regret moving to NZ. NZ was a good experience and is a good country to live in! But for me everything worked out fine in the end, even the return home: My partner agreed with me about moving back to Europe, and I still had a few years with my dad, and can now say my proper goodbyes and help him make the transition. I would never want to be in NZ now - no matter how beautiful the nature, and how relaxed the lifestyle. I want to be at his side.
I realize of course that everybody has there own priorities and that living situations vary and that for many NZ gives more than they lose. But nothing is for free. Good luck with your decision!!
Certainly if both partners are not involved positively with regards to the move strong possibilities of marital discontent may well arise.
This is a very frequent occurrence with ex pats not always recognised by the party pushing the move.

You were lucky having an escape plan in place when things got tough. As well as an agreeing partner. Obviously not all are so lucky.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 12:30 pm
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

OK just to put this discussion back on track, Mrs M just has normal emigration nerves now (as do I). I think we are both going for it on a fairly equal basis.

I've just come across Hutt International Boys school. Anyone have any knowledge or experience of this one?
Old Apr 25th 2016, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Be aware that you are taking a major risk, especially if your wife is not on board! Do speak about what will happen if one is unhappy! I met a couple where she was unhappy and he loved it (funnily enough the combination of man liking NZ, and the woman not, seems to happen more often than the other way around).

It's funny you say that, as I have the same feeling. The man is often happy with the change and just adapts, but women often miss the simple things and that's what I meant with being isolated.

It's not like being in Europe where you can get a cheap flight if you miss family and friends and even when it comes to shopping, women often get frustrated. It might sound funny, but it really is something to discuss.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It's funny you say that, as I have the same feeling. The man is often happy with the change and just adapts, but women often miss the simple things and that's what I meant with being isolated...........
To be chauvinist normally Waitrose and M&S
Old Apr 25th 2016, 8:54 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
I've just come across Hutt International Boys school. Anyone have any knowledge or experience of this one?
only thing I can see is that there are no current vacancies and the criteria to get in is fairly strict.
Hutt International Boys School - Upper Hutt | RateMyTeachers.com

which I had seen that ratemyteacher site back in 2012. would of saved us a lot of heartache and money

Last edited by MrsFychan; Apr 25th 2016 at 9:01 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 11:09 pm
Banned

Finkel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I've been offered a job in Wellington after a recent visit to see friends. I'm now applying for residency for myself, my wife and two school age children via SMC from the UK. We have just received the ITA and now need to get all docs etc.
How much is this job going to be paying you and what are your family going to get out of it?

The only problem now is that wife and one child are extremely nervous!!! After reading some of the above, it's not surprising she's nervous. Hopefully we will get through it together though and it won't be too terrible when we get there. Her friend is suggesting I go out first and start work for 3 months to make sure it's ok. Then they can follow me later. I'm not sure, but I know she is worried about the eldest and schools etc (year 6/7)
Take her friend's advice. Listern to your wife.

Holidaying in a place is a lot different from living in it.

If Manchester is pissing you off that much move somewhere else in the UK, you don't have to move to the other side of the world to avoid it. What are you really running away from?

NZ is the same shit, different bucket.

Last edited by Finkel; Apr 25th 2016 at 11:13 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Youre giving credence to a ste that is about anonymous adolescent students submitting what they think of their teachers? Examples : He is so hot. He is awesome because he lets us do anything. He is scarey when he stares at you ... and so on. Its a revenge site where if a student is told off or disciplined they can jump on there and say something nasty about the teacher.Not a good site.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 11:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
only thing I can see is that there are no current vacancies and the criteria to get in is fairly strict.
Hutt International Boys School - Upper Hutt | RateMyTeachers.com

which I had seen that ratemyteacher site back in 2012. would of saved us a lot of heartache and money
Plus one. Just because a school charges fees it doesn't mean it's any better than one that doesn't.

Education in New Zealand compared to the UK was one of THE biggest let downs for our family. The second was bullying in schools from both pupils and teachers. Very hard for children who've never experienced it before.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 11:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It's funny you say that, as I have the same feeling. The man is often happy with the change and just adapts, but women often miss the simple things and that's what I meant with being isolated.

It's not like being in Europe where you can get a cheap flight if you miss family and friends and even when it comes to shopping, women often get frustrated. It might sound funny, but it really is something to discuss.
Absolutely, you don't realise how isolating New Zealand is until you live there.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 11:25 pm
Banned

But apart from the earthquakes, the wind, the isolation, the crushing loneliness, the strange people, the cultural abyss, the social problems, the houses, the rain, the tsunami risk, the sand flies, the traffic, the cost of living, the lack of choice in the supermarkets, the politics .....it sounds pretty idyllic to be fair.
That about sums it up. Read that back in a couple of years from now and see if you find it as funny.

I hope your prospective employer is going to stump up for your total relocation costs? Want to test how genuine they are? Ask them to commit to paying for your repatriation costs to the UK after 2 years if things don't work out for you.

I can say with some confidence that if more migrants asked for this New Zealand would be a lot emptier than it is.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 12:23 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Finkel
Plus one. Just because a school charges fees it doesn't mean it's any better than one that doesn't.

Education in New Zealand compared to the UK was one of THE biggest let downs for our family. The second was bullying in schools from both pupils and teachers. Very hard for children who've never experienced it before.
is that why you are no longer in NZ?
Old Apr 26th 2016, 12:59 am
Banned

Yes, some of the reasons. I suppose you could say we were among the lucky ones who were able to leave.

If only we'd had access to impartial and unbiased advice before we emigrated we'd have gone in with our eyes open.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:04 am

what a shame you didn't find BE sooner
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I don't think the people on here should be saying do it, don't do it. Just give you honest experiences good and bad, least then people can see what others have experienced and take it from there. if its understanding any pit falls and how they were over come to knowing that a certain area has this about it against another area which has that. Knowledge is the key
Does that mean that it's against the rules to say "do it / don't do it" or is that just your personal thoughts?

For example, if I were to say "Don't do it, based on my honest experiences good and bad, the bad outweighed the good because......"

I sometimes wonder if we'd have pulled the plug on the visa applications if someone had said that to me a few years ago.

Be honest, how many other people would've done the same. Yourself included?
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:10 am

you would get answers based on peoples own experience. you have people in both camps and some are more vocal than others. You have read the rules so you will know what is allowed and what is not.
Everyone takes from it what they want to and ultimately its their decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.