Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job hunting in Auckland - where to live

Job hunting in Auckland - where to live

Old Dec 20th 2014, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

joshbay84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job hunting in Auckland - where to live

I am planning to visit New Zealand some time by March 2015. It looks like most of the software firms are in the CBD area.

What would be the best option for job hunting - will it be advisable to live away from CBD/Auckland and commute into the city to find job or is it better to pay the extra bucks and stay near CBD (I assume car is not required if you live in and around CBD)?

How much would apartment/hotel in CBD area cost ? Can one live near CBD with $4000/month?

Joshua
Old Dec 20th 2014, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job hunting in Auckland - where to live

You'll be able to live wherever you want with that budget.

If I had to work in the city I'd choose between:

1. A house in Devenport and jump on the ferry each day for the short trip across the harbour

2. Close to the beach in Takapuna with a short journey over the bridge every morning.

3. A flashy high rise apartment right in the city centre.

All easily done for a grand a week, that's a huge budget by anyone's standards.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

4000/mth just for rent or including all your costs?
Old Dec 20th 2014, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joshbay84
How much would apartment/hotel in CBD area cost ? Can one live near CBD with $4000/month?

Joshua
If you're just coming for a job hunting trip then probably best to base yourself in CBD.

Daily rates for short term apartment / hotel rental is $150 to $200 per night. e.g. Accommodation Auckland | Quest Auckland Serviced Apartments |Auckland Accommodation New Zealand

You can manage short term in CBD without a car but will of course need some transport if you want to get out and explore a bit further.

Assuming you are talking of having $4000 total available per month for all living expenses, this will not go far if you're paying $500pw for rent. Check out places and prices here:

Auckland properties for rent on Trade Me Property
Old Dec 20th 2014, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

joshbay84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for reply. Yes - I meant $4000 for all expenses - food, rent etc. In US, if we book hotel for more than 30 days - we get reasonable discounts(and get taxes back in some cases). Any policy like that in New Zealand? Because, I think renting in CBD = renting outside + car rental cost.

Last edited by joshbay84; Dec 20th 2014 at 1:49 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is short term / holiday lets outside of CBD are fewer and far between. Mostly motels which would be one small room with minimal facilities on a busy road, likely to do you head in for 30 days.

You could look further out to places like Orewa which is more of a holiday town with Nautilus apartment place , caravan parks and such like - from where you would be able to get to CBD in 45 mins or so outside of peak times.

e.g.
Orewa Beach holiday homes, accommodation rentals, baches and vacation homes for rent in NZ. Book a beach house or bach. Page 1
Old Dec 21st 2014, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Chocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
If you're just coming for a job hunting trip then probably best to base yourself in CBD.

Daily rates for short term apartment / hotel rental is $150 to $200 per night. e.g. Accommodation Auckland | Quest Auckland Serviced Apartments |Auckland Accommodation New Zealand

You can manage short term in CBD without a car but will of course need some transport if you want to get out and explore a bit further.
I agree. We did exactly this when we first came to NZ and it worked really well for us. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
If I had to work in the city I'd choose between:

1. A house in Devenport and jump on the ferry each day for the short trip across the harbour

2. Close to the beach in Takapuna with a short journey over the bridge every morning.

3. A flashy high rise apartment right in the city centre.
I'd basically agree with 1) and 3). Don't really see the appeal of Takapuna though. For 1) I like the area more over at Narrow Neck and Cheltenham Beach is of course fab. For 3) I would go for the yuppy flats in the Viaduct myself.

Can I ask if anyone lives on boats in Auckland?
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

orewa is miles away and a pain in the butt to get into the cbd
takapuna same but not as long a commute
Devonport better, 5 min walk to ferry then 10 min ferry tip to cbd
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
orewa is miles away and a pain in the butt to get into the cbd
takapuna same but not as long a commute
Devonport better, 5 min walk to ferry then 10 min ferry tip to cbd
Heard the bus lane on bridge means only a 20 minute commute to britomart
Old Dec 24th 2014, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parnell
Heard the bus lane on bridge means only a 20 minute commute to britomart
There's a bus lane on the bridge? The Harbour bridge?
Old Dec 24th 2014, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
There's a bus lane on the bridge? The Harbour bridge?
Leading up to it apparently. They say once your on the bridge it's relatively quick. The biggest delay is the approach and entering the motorway.
Note this is what I have heard from 3 different people.