Job Advice/Help

Old Aug 19th 2015, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Mizxad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Advice/Help

Hi,

I've been approached by a retail company in NZ with regards to moving out there to work and obviously it is a big move to make.

I'm looking into all avenues about the move i.e. The job, housing, schooling. What would be good is that is there anyone over in NZ who can give me some direction as to what we can expect or what sort of company I'd be potentially working for?

The company is The Warehouse who seem to have a good reputation from what I've read etc.

Thanks
Mizxad.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 11:30 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Advice/Help

Hi and welcome to BE, probably need more information before anyone could advise more.

and what visa are they suggesting you come over on? where are you based and how did they actually approach you. would seem rather strange that they would be looking outside the country for workers unless you have a skill that is not easily available here??, yet they do seem to be an accredited company.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Aug 20th 2015 at 4:04 am.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't already figured The Warehouse is the Wal-mart of NZ - full of cheap plastic stuff and is one of the biggest employers in the country.

Certainly the working environment would reflect the low-budget approach and keeping costs to a minimum is the focus to the exclusion of any proper flooring, heating or lighting in the shops. They are generally not a nice place to be and mostly kids and old people work in the shops - I don't suppose they pay very well.

Cost of living will depend on where you are based. Will it be in a branch / store somewhere or at Wharehouse HQ which is on North Shore of Auckland right beside the Harbour Bridge .
Old Aug 20th 2015, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Hi and welcome to BE, probably need more information before anyone could advise more.

and what visa are they suggesting you come over on? where are you based and how did they actually approach you. would seem rather strange that they would be looking outside the country for workers unless you have a skill that is not easily available here??, yet they do seem to be an accredited company.
They have been advertising over in the UK for a while now for Branch managers. I looked at it last year but didn't feel the time was right, however, they have come back to me recently asking if I'd be interested again.
Not sure what visa I'd come over on but they agreed last year that I'd come over with my family with a relocation package etc.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
If you haven't already figured The Warehouse is the Wal-mart of NZ - full of cheap plastic stuff and is one of the biggest employers in the country.

Certainly the working environment would reflect the low-budget approach and keeping costs to a minimum is the focus to the exclusion of any proper flooring, heating or lighting in the shops. They are generally not a nice place to be and mostly kids and old people work in the shops - I don't suppose they pay very well.

Cost of living will depend on where you are based. Will it be in a branch / store somewhere or at Wharehouse HQ which is on North Shore of Auckland right beside the Harbour Bridge .
Initially, they are suggesting a branch manager role somewhere in NZ. Reviewing things on the net but not getting much joy with my research!!
Old Aug 20th 2015, 8:27 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you will probably have to get a work to residency visa which has a salary requirement of at least $55,000 gross.

Talent (Accredited Employers)
Old Aug 20th 2015, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mizxad
Initially, they are suggesting a branch manager role somewhere in NZ. Reviewing things on the net but not getting much joy with my research!!

Seems they are needing lots, so you might be able to choose the location

https://www.thewarehousecareers.co.n...ils?ajid=Dwklg
Old Aug 20th 2015, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Sounds like they are going for it with recruitment.

I work for Tesco at the moment and obviously they are the biggest in the UK and one of the biggest companies in Europe. Would just like to get to grips with what the Warehouse' reputation is like as an employer and how they operate.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Daisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mizxad
Would just like to get to grips with what the Warehouse' reputation is like as an employer and how they operate.
This site may be of interest if you haven't already seen it - it allows employees to rate their employer and there are a few who have rated The Warehouse. The Warehouse Reviews | Glassdoor
Old Aug 20th 2015, 7:32 pm

as someone has already said they are mainly manned by late teens early twenties and the near retirement age and maybe a splash of part timers and obviously seasonal staff at Christmas.
They are cheap and very much like the Woolworths we used to have in the UK. as for working for them not had any experience but I'm guessing its much like any other large store and then comes down to the staff and management.

I would seriously be looking at what you would be leaving against what you would be getting. cost of living is higher over here overall, less holiday entitlement, housing stock is poorer unless you have a load of money in the bank and can buy new build that has double glazing and some form of heating in the whole house, cost of health care and schooling.
Do you have family/friends over here for support? can you afford the big move and have money to support yourself for the first 6 mths with all the costs of moving to a new country entails, visa costs, medicals, air fares, container costs, rental costs, bonds, hire of furniture until yours arrives, setting up rental, transport, ?