Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Invoice for training fee's from previous employer in the UK.

Invoice for training fee's from previous employer in the UK.

Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:24 am
Just Joined

steggz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Invoice for training fee's from previous employer in the UK.

Hi guys,

I've searched through some of the old posts and I think I'm in a pretty unique position here. Always lurked as a guest on here but never posted....

The background on this little saga relates to a training course I did with my previous employer in England prior to my departure to NZ. The course was worth roughly 3500 pounds and I signed the normal contact saying I would pay it back etc. When I left (within the scope of the contract period) they withheld my final wages as they told me I'd not made an offer to repay the money (I'm the first to be chased).

Turns out they couldn't do that and I took them to tribunal from NZ through my old union and won. They were ordered to return the money and informed they can't pursue me for that amount again. They took their time to repay as well.

They then embarked on a campaign of "recovery" and for the full amount (against the ruling), most of which was directed at my parents as that was my previous address. That upset my mother in particular and they eventually stopped when my father wrote 2 letters explaining I wasn't there.

They then contacted me by email for the same amount. Several exchanges have taken place and now they have finally reduced the amount to what is theoretically claimable as per the ruling of the tribunal. Note I haven't been ordered to pay anything by anyone.

Now at this stage (1 year later) they have finally issued an invoice for an amount they might be entitled to claim. However, have ignored my points that I have had to invest serious time in dealing with this nonsense and the amount shouldn't be what it is. Essentially I'm wanting them to offer compensation for my time.

I'm after someone in NZ who may be able to offer legal advice. The company have handled this situation badly and now are not co-operating or responding to my requests. Although to be fair I might have been less than polite on a few occasions.

I'm aware they cannot gain a CCJ against me, so I fail to see what they can actually do. I have no issues with paying back a reasonable amount however they don't want to negotiate and expect the invoice to be settled in full (2K).

I don't want this to create a problem should I return to the UK before the amount becomes statute barred.

Could someone maybe advise?

Cheers

Luke
Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Invoice for training fee's from previous employer in the UK.

I'd pay it back and have done with it.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:55 am
Just Joined

akmodi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Luke,

If they are currently asking, as per the tribunal ruling, this would be acceptable request.

You are effectively requesting a compensation for your time. What would this be worth?

It is up to you to decide whether it would be worth the hassle to you if they did get a CCJ/ any other recovery means against you. Would that affect your credit rating in NZ.

This is going to be your call.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:38 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

From what I can see your time has been taken up as you have not agreed an amount to pay back. You were obviously aware that if you left the Company before a set time had passed you would be eligible to pay the costs back.
As said previous just pay the invoice. maybe over an agreed payment term and have done with it. It may cause you knock on problems if you wish to return and live in the UK, not sure how it would affect you in other countries if you don't.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 10:01 am
Just Joined

steggz is an unknown quantity at this point

Bearskin, MrsFychan

Paying it back would certainly sort it out. The ethical aspect aspect of it all is a little more complicated than me "avoiding repayment", the short version is that I was very hard done by. Fair points all the same.

I reckon in hours I'll be up around 50 in, then it's a case of quantifying that hourly rate.

I'm curious to know what the reality of not paying would be. They can't take any form of legal action to resolve the matter as far as i'm aware so it must just sit there on their books until someone makes a decision.

I'd imagine when most people leave with a "debt" they may already have a CCJ against them. As its stands there is no legal instruction for me to repay anything, just a signed document which may or may not be legally binding. That was not addressed by the tribunal as that wasn't the purpose of the case.