Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Importing a car with finance

Importing a car with finance

Old Jan 16th 2017, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

wez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nice
Default Importing a car with finance

Hi all, just after some 'hypothetical' advice regarding my car...

In November 2015, i took out finance on a 2013 BMW 5 series over 4 years. By the time i emigrate, i'll be 2 years into the contract.

I know that legally i cannot take my car overseas as a permanent export without the finance companies permission, however, to replace the car over in NZ like for like will literally cost me double what we paid for our car, so i am keen to bring it with me (understandeably). At the same time, i cannot clear the finance before we come here either.

What i would like to do though is bring my car over and carry on paying the finance until it's cleared.

My question is, can i apply to send the car with my belongings as you normally would (fill out the export paperwork etc) and send it, or will it get flagged for having existing finance?

Does anybody else have any suggestions? I really love my car and want it over here with me!

Thanks.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 9:03 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a car with finance

you would need to speak with the loan company as the car gets reregistered once it is in the NZ so you would need their permission.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a car with finance

Originally Posted by wez130
Hi all, just after some 'hypothetical' advice regarding my car...

In November 2015, i took out finance on a 2013 BMW 5 series over 4 years. By the time i emigrate, i'll be 2 years into the contract.

I know that legally i cannot take my car overseas as a permanent export without the finance companies permission, however, to replace the car over in NZ like for like will literally cost me double what we paid for our car, so i am keen to bring it with me (understandeably). At the same time, i cannot clear the finance before we come here either.

What i would like to do though is bring my car over and carry on paying the finance until it's cleared.

My question is, can i apply to send the car with my belongings as you normally would (fill out the export paperwork etc) and send it, or will it get flagged for having existing finance?

Does anybody else have any suggestions? I really love my car and want it over here with me!

Thanks.
UK Customs do check exported vehicles and if they have outstanding finance. They don't check all vehicles as there are just too many but they do randomly select and tend to target new vehicles and/or high end/high value vehicles.
If there is outstanding finance, you will still be able to ship your vehicle providing you get prior written approval from the finance company.

Also, outstanding finance etc should be declared to Immigration and evidence provided to show them how you intend to keep paying as they are very keen (or they were when we came over) to ensure people aren't using the system to escape their responsibilities - just something else to think about. Same goes for mortgages and child support etc.

If you intend on taking out of the country for more than 12 months it is classed as a permanent export and there's a part to fill in on the V5 - part C and send to DVLA. You will be given a Certificate of Permanent Export once you've done this. Keep the other parts as you may need it to register it in NZ.
Get prepared with our Car Shipping Checklist

Good luck.