Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Important information for housebuyers coming to NZ..must read!

Important information for housebuyers coming to NZ..must read!

Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of
Default Re: Important information for housebuyers coming to NZ..must read!

Jeez this thread has caused a few upsets. It peoples opinions, thats all for goodness sake

Im pleased for you that you have done well out of it, however I wasnt expecting or needing a brag on how much you paid for property, got paid for property and how much your gonna pay for property.

I dont remember making an argument about it, I just merely said that I would disagree that it is cost efficient to build when you could get a beautiful orginal NZ house and put the cost into making it your own at such minimum cost at that.

But hey, well done to you and those that do well out of it or feel that it is the way to go.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

majohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to all

Originally Posted by keznjj
Jeez this thread has caused a few upsets. It peoples opinions, thats all for goodness sake

Im pleased for you that you have done well out of it, however I wasnt expecting or needing a brag on how much you paid for property, got paid for property and how much your gonna pay for property.

I dont remember making an argument about it, I just merely said that I would disagree that it is cost efficient to build when you could get a beautiful orginal NZ house and put the cost into making it your own at such minimum cost at that.

But hey, well done to you and those that do well out of it or feel that it is the way to go.
Hey Keznjj.

Is having an opinion the same as an argument??..I wasnt arguing with you and certainly if i came across as a braggart i do apologise,as that was certainly not my motive at all.

It is rather hard to demonstrate my point without giving examples to support my advice.

I just wanted to convey that building your own home, contradictory to what both you and Am Loola stated, can definitely be a distinct advantage,and should therefore not be excluded as an option by potential migrants to NZ.

Your comment could be misleading to others and i obviously disagreed with what you stated. I think the figures speak for themselves and show that building your own home is definitely cost effective as stated

I simply wanted to demonstrate by using our decision to build, stating cost and profit as an example so that other folks can take advantage and hopefully benefit from our experiences with possible consideration towards building.

I thought that was what this forum was all about, and certainly was not my intention to use it as a platform to broadcast my financial status

Besides, i find most people we speak to around here are quite happy and open to divulge what they paid for a section or a home etc...its really no big deal is it?

sorry that you misunderstood my intentions.

Last edited by majohnno; Aug 4th 2008 at 8:00 am.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

OOPS think this thing whether it be an argment or an opinion needs to come to an end.

Whatever suits the individual...
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

majohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to all

Originally Posted by keznjj
OOPS think this thing whether it be an argment or an opinion needs to come to an end.

Whatever suits the individual...
There wasn't a beginning, so no worries aye, its all good!

Last edited by majohnno; Aug 4th 2008 at 9:44 am.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Really interesting - what is the build cost per sq mtre on average ? this is something we would love to do -our own build - have you any tips on where to find land for sale - we have looked on trademe & real estate sites.

Are building regs & planning permission as strict as UK or is NZ more relaxed with what you can / can't build - any sites you can suggest for more info would be welcomed.

Cheers
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bolton1
Really interesting - what is the build cost per sq mtre on average ? this is something we would love to do -our own build - have you any tips on where to find land for sale - we have looked on trademe & real estate sites.

Are building regs & planning permission as strict as UK or is NZ more relaxed with what you can / can't build - any sites you can suggest for more info would be welcomed.

Cheers
Happy to oblige you Bolton.

Incidentally, are you in NZ at the mo'?.

The average cost using local builders in Whakatane are i think, somewhere between 1200-1400 m2 depending on the specifics you want in the build.

So doing the maths you can expect to build a really nice home 185 m2 for around $230 K

Some builders quote for just the home build and some will price for things like carpets,concrete drives and landscaping (PC sums).

personally, we went for the option of just building the home and then got quotes for the fencing, patio, drive etc as this way you can make a substantial saving by shopping around.We got a PC sum of $10000 for the kitchen as part of this quote and were able to shop around and get a nice one made to our choice locally.

Land can be very reasonable and very expensive, depends obviously on location and views.Where we live there are sections with sea views for over $400 K but down the road in another subdivision there is a section we have seen 500 m2 no sea view, BUT literally 30 seconds to the beach with great views of whale island for $180K, and remember it is a buyers market at present so you can get this a tad cheaper i would expect..This is on the Coastlands beachside development, 5 ks from Whakatane.
So Bolton, you can build yourself a lovely home in this beachside cul -de- sac with new homes around you and protected by building covenants which ban sub dividing, for around $410K plus the extras for fencing,drive etc. which you can do later on as your savings permit.
We discovered when we built in this particular sub division that the developer has already paid the council development levy of around $12000 on all the sections..so another big saving there.
Building reg are quite stringent now because of the problems with dodgy builds like stucco homes etc plaster board,fibreboard and cement spray over polystyrene type exterior homes. Double glazing is now compulsory in new build homes as the Govt want to increase the energy efficiency of homes...'bout time!,lol.

I know for a fact that if you built such a home taking the above as an example,the current market value even taking into account the lull would be in the region of $500 - 510K.

Just for your own interest, getting consents for building signed off can be quite a long time.we submitted plans to our local council last January and the diggers moved in to level the site in June!..We moved in last October so the build time took 5 months,overall time, 9 months.

all the best and happy to help with any further advice if you want

The building process is really quite enjoyable and a good reputable builder will guide you through the whole process each step of the way,making all the relevant submissions for consents etc to the local council and arranging inspections at each stage of the build.

Like i said previously to some of the previous contributors to this thread, if you do the homework,find the right spot,, a good reputable builder who isnt going to go bust anytime soon and run off with your cash, in the right location, where there are good quality homes going up with good local facilities,schools,shops etc and haggle the price,you cannot really go wrong.

I would choose a builder that is part of a national franchise if you want peace of mind..jennian..reid homes..golden homes...etc theres a lot of choice out there so go for it.

Last edited by majohnno; Aug 4th 2008 at 10:10 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers
forgot to mention Bolton.

when you build in a subdivision with covenants there will be things you can and cant do with regards to your build.
eg the home has to built with materials that are in keeping with homes around it..no unsightly scrap yards in the front garden, no relocating houses onto sections, no subdividing land.

You can deduct from this that such covenants exist for the benefit of the homebuilder, and ensures that the area you are investing into maintains its attraction and makes it a nice place to live.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

thanks for all the info and insight into the self build arena
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the advice may get back to you nearer the time if this is ok .
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the advice may get back to you nearer the time if this is ok .
No problem!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

walshy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We left 14 radiators and an oil fired Aga behind in the UK for a 6 (ish) year old home here in NZ with 2 fires and underfloor heating, in the bathrooms only!
Surprised by that in Papamoa, arent they all pretty modern?
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Having built, I can tell you that it is cheaper to build. We were in Chch, and there were lots of houses for sale in that 130 to 150 square meter size with detached garage on 650 square meters. Stargting price is in the early400,000's. These houses are cold and small on small sections. To replace rugs, bathrooms, kitchens, place two heat pumps and insulation, paint and consider that a redo of the bathroom may require consent if a drain is relocated. Total cost, $60,000 to $100,000. Result, small nice house with one bathroom, no place for the vacum cleaner or ironing board, one living room only so kids and everyone on top of eachother, small garden, but perhaps close to town.

Now, build new. Cost of four bedroom house finished to a reasonable standart $290,000 to $320,000 plus cost of section. Section cost Rangiora $170,000 to $185,000 for up to something over 800 meters. Total cost $460,000 - $505,000. In Christchurch, sections if you can get them say in Northwood run $340,000 for 650 meters other locations like Halswell and Adenfield are less.

Comparison, buy old small house on small section and do it up. About the same cost as building. There are lots of other variables, but it is possible that the cost of building could be much less/more depending on where one buys the small house to do up.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

walshy is an unknown quantity at this point

But you need all cash dont you?

or can you get a mortgage?
Old Aug 9th 2008, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

You can build without a mortgage. Typically this will be a line of credit set up to equal the maximum agreed amount. You will pay interest each month. The bank will prefer to make the invoice payments from your building account.