Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Immigration and Visa posts moved from Christchurch thread.

Immigration and Visa posts moved from Christchurch thread.

Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Nickyandjason is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration and Visa posts moved from Christchurch thread.

Hi tom and Fiona, were in the same boat as u at the moment (moving from Manchester) so unable to help with your question, but, you may be able to help with mine!
Jason has a job offer and were about to go for medicals etc., like yourselves he will work and I won't for a few months while I settle the kids (14 and 3), my Q is are you on a work visa? If so which visa is Fiona getting, Jason is applying for essential skills and I'm confused as to which one I can get.

Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:49 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Originally Posted by Nickyandjason
Hi tom and Fiona, were in the same boat as u at the moment (moving from Manchester) so unable to help with your question, but, you may be able to help with mine!
Jason has a job offer and were about to go for medicals etc., like yourselves he will work and I won't for a few months while I settle the kids (14 and 3), my Q is are you on a work visa? If so which visa is Fiona getting, Jason is applying for essential skills and I'm confused as to which one I can get.

Thanks
You can apply for a temporary partnership based visa.
You can get a work visa for the same length of time that Jason's is valid for. This allows you to do any job.
http://http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/worktemporarily/requirements/Fa.htm.

The children will also need visas, either visit or study depending on age. The three year old will probably need a study visa at some point but may have to come over on a visit visa to start with. you'll be wanting him/her to go to school at some point Hopefully someone who has moved with someone of a similar age can help.
http://http://www.immigration.govt.n...ly/default.htm
http://http://www.immigration.govt.n...ly/default.htm

Last edited by Persephone; Jan 14th 2014 at 8:59 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

TomandFiona is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Hello, we decided to go straight for the residency visa and based on my points Fiona was eligible for that as well. I hadn't seen the advice on this forum before hand and I decided to pay an agent to sort it out for us. The general consensus on here seems to be that I should have done it myself but I hate paperwork . I'm not sure what visa you would apply for, sorry. Good luck with it. Medicals are bloody expensive!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

gerard_navickas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TomandFiona
Hello, we decided to go straight for the residency visa and based on my points Fiona was eligible for that as well. I hadn't seen the advice on this forum before hand and I decided to pay an agent to sort it out for us. The general consensus on here seems to be that I should have done it myself but I hate paperwork . I'm not sure what visa you would apply for, sorry. Good luck with it. Medicals are bloody expensive!
can I ask who you went with?? I mean which agents??
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Nickyandjason is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, we looked at residency initially and getting someome to do it but the cost was extortionate. But the paperwork is a nightmare!
My sister went 8 years ago on a residency visa, paid an advisor for 2 adults and 2 kids. At a cost of £1700 for everything. The cost has rocketed.

We'll get there in the end! Good luck
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gerard_navickas
can I ask who you went with?? I mean which agents??
I used New Zealand Shores. It was quite expensive but about the same as the other quotes and I have no complaints.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

gerard_navickas is an unknown quantity at this point

I used New Zealand Shores. It was quite expensive but about the same as the other quotes and I have no complaints.
ahh right...I have gone with Migration Associates, they cost a few quid but I'm not 1 for paperwork I didn't want to mess it up but they've been quite good
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:07 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't feel you have to use an agent!
They are very very expensive and it really isn't that difficult to do yourself. We will try to answer any questions you may have. Some people may have 'irregularities' that need help from an agent but for most cases an agent doesn't add any value. Apart from you not having to do paperwork!!

There are other benefits: doing it yourself means you have a good understanding of what's happening and why. INZ do not give preference to applications via agents.

Emigrating is expensive enough, and doing the visa application yourself will save thousands
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gerarickas
ahh right...I have gone with Migration Associates, they cost a few quid but I'm not 1 for paperwork I didn't want to mess it up but they've been quite good
My thoughts exactly!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:23 pm
Queen of the Underworld

It's up to an individual whether to use an agent or not, only that person can assess whether they feel more comfortable using one and feel the cost is worth it.

I just wanted to clarify that it is not essential or necessary (someone thought that recently) and that it is fairly easy to DIY if that is your choice.
Each to his own

Last edited by Persephone; Jan 14th 2014 at 9:26 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Persephone
It's up to an individual whether to use an agent or not, only that person can assess whether they feel more comfortable using one and feel the cost is worth it.
I just wanted to clarify that it is not essential or necessary (someone thought that recently) and that it is fairly easy to DIY if that is your choice. Each to his own
Absolutely.

Originally Posted by nickyandjason
but the paperwork is a nightmare!
In what way do you find this to be so?

The paperwork is actually quite simple on a step by step basis unless there is a medical issue or a blot on a police check.

It is very difficult to 'mess up'. In any case, if one did forget to tick a box or perhaps write something that NZ immigration didn't quite understand, then NZ immigration allow for that and would go back to the applicant with the query.

You still have to collate the evidence yourselves - this means paperwork - give the correct information and sign your own declarations.

For a straightforward application you really are paying someone to sit and fill in or tick a few boxes.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:05 pm
`

Hi tom and Fiona, were in the same boat as u at the moment...............

Jason has a job offer and we are about to go for medicals etc.,

like yourselves he will work and I won't for a few months while I settle the kids (14 and 3), my Q is are you on a work visa? If so which visa is Fiona getting, Jason is applying for essential skills and I'm confused as to which one I can get.

Thanks
Congrats on the job offer. What is his occupation?

Is Jason applying for an essential skills temporary work visa for a set amount of time.

If so -

You will be applying for an open work visa on the back of his application. It is the partnership visa
Your older child will be applying for student visas.
Your younger child = a visitors visa

the links work OK

Please do look at the forms to see just how simple they have made them. There are check lists and step by step help and guides.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 14th 2014 at 10:13 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:29 pm
`

Hello, we decided to go straight for the residency visa and based on my points Fiona was eligible for that as well.
If you have enough points under the skilled migrant route ( i.e. a quality application of 140 points with a job offer) then that application encompasses your partner and your children. In other words if you are eligible ,then your partner is automatically eligible provided you meet the partnership requirements.

I just want to ensure that what is written is as correct as it can be for others looking in. Your partners eligibility is not dependent on your points .
The residency application for the pair of you - together - is dependant on what points can be claimed & that it can be proven there is entitlement to those points
If your partner has a qualification of some sort , then that partner can also contribute 20 points towards the application on top of the principle applicants points claimed.

Skilled Migrant Points System

Skilled Migrant points calculator

I hadn't seen the advice on this forum before hand and I decided to pay an agent to sort it out for us. The general consensus on here seems to be that I should have done it myself but I hate paperwork
Oopsies then, as you cannot avoid doing most of the paperwork, agent or no agent.

Also, it is wise to be familiar with the system and requirements for the visa you apply for. After all, it is the applicant who takes responsibility and must adhere to the requirements. It also ensures that the applicant knows what they are paying for if they use an agent & what may or may not be incorrect with a given application.

Medicals are bloody expensive!
Yes they are. Shop around .

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 14th 2014 at 10:32 pm. Reason: rubbish typing
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:34 pm
`

Default Re: Immigration and Visa posts moved from Christchurch thread.

We do have a place here for people to ask for a bit of help and wotnot.

It's not for advice but it is a bit of help from people that have been there and done that.

NZ Immigration forum etc
Old Jan 15th 2014, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Dandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond reputeDandy du2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration and Visa posts moved from Christchurch thread.

We sent our completed application for PRV with no job offer in July 2013. I did most of the paperwork myself and it was hard trying to contact all ex employers, universities etc as they don't seem to work on the same time scale as you. Think I would consider agent next time.
Additional information requested in December 2013 which we posted begining of Jan 2014.
I think even when you check check and triple check there always seems to be something more needed. Fingers crossed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.