Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The immigration emotional rollercoaster!

The immigration emotional rollercoaster!

Old Aug 24th 2008, 3:40 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy The immigration emotional rollercoaster!

Well I've finally gone and booked the one way flight to NZ, arriving back in Palmy 7th December

So why do I suddenly feel so unsure about the whole thing? I'm sure it's just the fact that I now have a definite date on which I actually leave the UK, it just makes it all seem so real. It's like everything has become very very clear all of a sudden. OMG I'm moving to the other side of the world!

I know I'm just having a "moment". It doesn't help that Mr Sue is working all day and night and won't be back until tomorrow, so I'm left with pizza, chocolate and a bottle of merlot for company tonight [so life really can't be that bad!!]

Anyone else feel like this when they booked the flight? I booked it yesterday and still feeling scared about the whole idea of living in a different country. I'm hoping it will pass or I'm going to have a s**t 3 months until I get back here Been planning on this for over 2 years since I met Mr Sue and I thought I'd got my head round it I seem to be having a confidence and optimism failure at the moment:curse:

Sue
Old Aug 24th 2008, 3:50 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The immigration emotional rollercoaster!

Originally Posted by Sue R
Well I've finally gone and booked the one way flight to NZ, arriving back in Palmy 7th December

So why do I suddenly feel so unsure about the whole thing? I'm sure it's just the fact that I now have a definite date on which I actually leave the UK, it just makes it all seem so real. It's like everything has become very very clear all of a sudden. OMG I'm moving to the other side of the world!

I know I'm just having a "moment". It doesn't help that Mr Sue is working all day and night and won't be back until tomorrow, so I'm left with pizza, chocolate and a bottle of merlot for company tonight [so life really can't be that bad!!]

Anyone else feel like this when they booked the flight? I booked it yesterday and still feeling scared about the whole idea of living in a different country. I'm hoping it will pass or I'm going to have a s**t 3 months until I get back here Been planning on this for over 2 years since I met Mr Sue and I thought I'd got my head round it I seem to be having a confidence and optimism failure at the moment:curse:

Sue

I felt exactly the same when we booked our flights to Perth, in fact for some reason I felt devastated/upset/frightened - all those things at once.

This is your lifeplan coming together and yes, it is scary.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

Hi Sue

It's perfectly normal

I kept walking round the house going "s**t, s**t, s**t!!

I was then so busy putting the final touches to Christmas and everything else, I didn't have time to think about it.

On the day we left, as I closed the front door of my house, I cried for the first time. But it was only when we were on the plane at Heathrow did it suddenly sink in and feel real. I then thought s**t, s**t, s**t!! We're going to live the other side of the world

I can tell you I don't regret it one bit Yes I get a bit homesick for my friends around me, but that's all.

You'll be fine, it's a great adventure, life is short so live it now.

Catkin

Last edited by Catkin09; Aug 24th 2008 at 9:53 am. Reason: Forgot how to spell!!
Old Aug 24th 2008, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

ScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant futureScottyD has a brilliant future

We booked our flights before we'd even got the visa!

I remember my stomach churning and I think it was a more significant moment than when the visas finally arrived...

It's the permanence of the one way ticket that makes you realise you do not intend to go back and you have chosen to make home the other side of the world.

So many emotions attached to this process isn't there? No question it's a journey full of ups and downs...

We leave on the 18th Sept for Welly and can't wait to be there now - good luck with the rest of your plans.