Reload this Page >

Immigration Criteria for New Zealand

Immigration Criteria for New Zealand

Old Jun 6th 2002, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

ChrisA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration Criteria for New Zealand

Hi there

Im toying with the idea of emmigrating to New Zealand as an Indepdant Applicant.

I have the following criteria

- 30 years of Age
- BSC (HONS) Computer Science degree from UK Univerisity
- Speak and write English fluently
- 2 years work experience in IT
- No relatives in New Zealand
- No job offers there

Would this criteria gain me enough points to migrate?

Many thanks

Chris Asaipillai
Old Jun 6th 2002, 12:13 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Criteria for New Zealand

Chris,

You could actually do a self-scoring exercise on the New Zealand Immigration Service website. They have an excellent on-line self-assessment form, that calculates your points for you :-)

Give it a try, if you haven't already done so.

Cheers,
Peter
Old Jun 7th 2002, 4:52 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

I make it:

Education - probably 10 points
Work experience - probably 1 point
Age - 8 points

Total - 19 points

Even with a relevant job offer (5 points) you will be short of the 25 point passmark, but it is possible this could revert to 24 points in the future.

You could improve your position with for example: a) settlement funds (NZD 100,000 is 1 point), b) 2 more years work experience (1 point and your 'age points' will not be affected if you remain under 34), c) married to a spouse with relevant degree (1 or 2 points). It might be worth checking if your degree could be assessed as worth more than 10 points (ie 11 or 12) or taking a PG qualification to gain extra point(s).

All the best
Old Jun 7th 2002, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

ChrisA is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

Yep I make it round that score as well. Which leaves me 4 points short unforuntely. I dont have the 100,000 cash or the extra work experience, so looks like back to square one!

Thanks for your reply

Chris