Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Ielts academic exams

Ielts academic exams

Old Jan 17th 2018, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Leva47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ielts academic exams

Can anyone give me any advise on what am I to expect , reading it on the website sounds like it’s a job interview? I find it a bit strange that I’m English and have to do this .and £170 a pop makes me even more nervous as I have to be on the ball ! Eek
Old Jan 17th 2018, 5:43 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ielts academic exams

Originally Posted by Leva47
I find it a bit strange that I’m English and have to do this
Its a <really> good thing - after all that case of a German locum in England killing one of his patients through lack of good English could have been avoided. Unfortunately any passport isn't a guarantee of a good command of English so...
Old Jan 17th 2018, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply I was jet lagged when I wrote this I totally understand why ! I’m doing it this Saturday £170 later eek !
Old Jan 17th 2018, 6:32 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck! :-)
Old Jan 17th 2018, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy books that prepare you - and books with practice tests. My experience was that native speakers often scored poorly or Writing and on Reading Comprehension.

Practise - get tuition. Prepare !
Old Jan 18th 2018, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply I was jet lagged when I wrote this I totally understand why ! I’m doing it this Saturday £170 later eek !
Just have a query back to you.......
Why are you taking IELTS ?
Is it so you can gain professional registration for your occupation in NZ OR are you doing it specifically for immigration NZ purposes ?
Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:28 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Is it so you can gain professional registration for your occupation in NZ OR are you doing it specifically for immigration NZ purposes ?
Nurses require it.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Nurses require it.
Not telling me anything I don't already know. My Mrs is a nurse and had to do IELTS Academic to gain registration.....she actually did it twice as she took the other IELTS initially before realizing her error!!!
The OP hasn't mentioned anything to do with nursing which is why I asked the question.

If the OP needs it for occupational registration then it is mandatory no matter your origin.

If the OP is doing it for Immigration NZ purposes -
Ie specifically for the visa, then there is no need if your origin and that of your family history is English.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 10:10 pm
It is what it is Member

Not telling me anything I don't already know. My Mrs is a nurse and had to do IELTS Academic to gain registration.....she actually did it twice as she took the other IELTS initially before realizing her error!!!
The OP hasn't mentioned anything to do with nursing which is why I asked the question.

If the OP needs it for occupational registration then it is mandatory no matter your origin.

If the OP is doing it for Immigration NZ purposes -
Ie specifically for the visa, then there is no need if your origin and that of your family history is English.
Her other posts indicate she is a Mental Health nurse.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
You can buy books that prepare you - and books with practice tests. My experience was that native speakers often scored poorly or Writing and on Reading Comprehension.

Practise - get tuition. Prepare !
Great advice, its amazing how many English native speakers fail the test as they are not prepared for what will be covered in each of the 4 sections.

Buy some books and practice, practice, practice.

Gill
Old Jan 28th 2018, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by simonsi
Good luck! :-)
Thanks well i was not prepared for the speaking at all , I expected something like describe your home town, so I will be surprised if I pass that. "Can you describe your favourite sports player" My reply No I don't have one ... then went on to describe Steven gerrard the best I could. Felt like a right plonker
Old Jan 28th 2018, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

It's part of the requirement for the nursing registration in NZ
Old Jan 30th 2018, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

It's part of the requirement for the nursing registration in NZ
I know. My Mrs went through it years ago. That's why I asked the question as the thread didn't mention anything about nursing and I hadn't researched the OP's previous posts which mentioned nursing.