I.T Jobs

Old May 19th 2015, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

AftabAK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I.T Jobs

Hello all,

I am planning to move to New Zealand soon. What are the chances of getting job in the I.T field in New Zealand?? Any idea
Old May 19th 2015, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

McLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really nice
Default Re: I.T Jobs

That would of course depend on you and your skill set...

What experience do you have / area of expertise?

Last edited by McLeod; May 19th 2015 at 7:13 pm.
Old May 19th 2015, 8:31 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as said depends, I know someone on the telecoms side of things not get a job for over 2 years, think they gave up in the end. Another person has been trying to get a job before moving over, Software Developer, needed it for the points for the EOI and not manage to get one.
Old May 19th 2015, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

McLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
as said depends, I know someone on the telecoms side of things not get a job for over 2 years, think they gave up in the end. Another person has been trying to get a job before moving over, Software Developer, needed it for the points for the EOI and not manage to get one.
I'm in that boat. Had an interview, but with the bar set quite high I need to pass some certs and go back. There's a number of jobs around, but a lot say "must have visa", or they aren't accredited employers so the visa process will take so long as to put them off.

There's a lot of developer jobs in AKL, but I'd rather stay in the uk or go to the gold coast with the snakes and spiders instead.

Might just go out on a "holiday" and try that route.
Old May 19th 2015, 9:43 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

some won't get accredited as it costs them to do so and provide lots of finance information to Immigration to get the accreditation and then renew and pay again and then they have to be careful about the amount of people they do employ from outside NZ. MrF's first company had that problem as their staff was something like 70% expats and 30% Kiwi (very small company) so they got a bit concerned about it and did not renew the accreditation.
Old May 19th 2015, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

some won't get accredited as it costs them to do so and provide lots of finance information to Immigration to get the accreditation and then renew and pay again and then they have to be careful about the amount of people they do employ from outside NZ. MrF's first company had that problem as their staff was something like 70% expats and 30% Kiwi (very small company) so they got a bit concerned about it and did not renew the accreditation.
Perfectly understandable too. Yet the government want to attract these skills into NZ, if so they should make it easier for employers, not just the big boys.

I just found another job being advertised, north island but not Wellington or AKL, with accredited company. I'll get my application in today!
Old May 19th 2015, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

I must have been lucky. I had Skype interview or 2 with my company and they offered me a job when I arrived in the country. We were fortunate in that my wife had a WTR visa and had already found a job at CCDHB. If the OP wants to drop me a PM, I can give him the details of the recruitment company I used. They are Wellington based.
Old May 19th 2015, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by S_and_T
I must have been lucky. I had Skype interview or 2 with my company and they offered me a job when I arrived in the country. We were fortunate in that my wife had a WTR visa and had already found a job at CCDHB. If the OP wants to drop me a PM, I can give him the details of the recruitment company I used. They are Wellington based.
the part that sticks out to me in what you say is that they only offered you a job once you were in the country and here on the back of your wifes WTR visa so in all purposes you had a work visa for them to employ you.
MrF also had a few skype calls but the responses were, "yes we can offer you a job as soon as you are over, lets met up for a coffee and chat".

Going through a recruit agency would still require the company to be accredited to enable them to offer a job.
Old May 20th 2015, 12:01 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

My partner received two job offers in IT whilst still in the UK (Infrastructure Technician). Both companies were on the Accredited Employers list and he was able to get a Work to Residency visa, which then became permanent residency under the Skilled Migrant Category. This is based in Chch two years ago and there was a real shortage of skilled IT workers then. I am lead to believe this is still the case what with people moving out because of the earthquake and new businesses opening up again post-quake. If Chch isn't your chosen destination I wouldn't fret too much, just get a foot in the door and then look at moving on in future.

Keep an eye out for jobs with IAG (insurance company) and the CDHB (health service) as I know they are on the list. Also have a look on the list of accredited employers and perhaps send in some speculative applications.

Good luck, any more questions fire away

Last edited by Pom_Chch; May 20th 2015 at 12:04 am.
Old May 20th 2015, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

the part that sticks out to me in what you say is that they only offered you a job once you were in the country and here on the back of your wifes WTR visa so in all purposes you had a work visa for them to employ you.
MrF also had a few skype calls but the responses were, "yes we can offer you a job as soon as you are over, lets met up for a coffee and chat".

Going through a recruit agency would still require the company to be accredited to enable them to offer a job.
Cheers Mrs F, you imply my excellent CV and experience counted for nothing! What I would say is my meeting upon my arrival was when they wanted to offer me the job. But you're right, the fact we had WTR visas no doubt helped.

Seriously, the OP is a little vague in that we have no indication whether he/she meets any of the necessary criteria. What I would say is there are plenty of IT jobs here in Wellington. Apparently, the Govt is based here!
Old May 20th 2015, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

What line of IT work are you in?

Actually, i'll save you the time

Send your CV to the following company - Hewlett Packard, either to their Wellington address, Auckland address or their Christchurch address.

They're always out on the look and they're known as the migrant company to work for. Why?? Because no Kiwi wants to work for them at all. Therefore you've got a great opportunity to get a job with them. You'll be able to get a Essential Skills Work Visa easily

Don't get them, well go to Intergen. They love recruiting migrants as well since getting Kiwis to work for them is on the high level of difficultness. I don't know why that is to be fair as it didn't seem a bad place when I was in their offices for a month.
Old May 20th 2015, 2:31 am

sorry S_and_T wasn't meaning it to just that if they had someone who had a visa already over someone who didn't guess who would get the job.
MrF was lucky in that the job that offered him work was accredited and he managed to up lift a temp work visa within a few hours and started immediately whilst the skilled visa went through. the fact that he could start immediately I am sure was a big Yes for the company employing him
Old May 20th 2015, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AftabAK
Hello all,

I am planning to move to New Zealand soon. What are the chances of getting job in the I.T field in New Zealand?? Any idea
Like any city if your very good at your job you will be in demand.

Its the communication of your standard to a low supply market filled with average candidates.

Communicate/Network too much and your flooded

too little and your beached
Old May 20th 2015, 4:16 am
Just Joined

AftabAK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you McLeod and all other senior BE members.

I am a Software Developer having 6 years of experience with skills in

• MS Visual Basic 6.0
• .Net Languages (VB.Net, C#.Net)
• .Net Framework 2.0, 3.5, 4.0
• T-SQL
• MS SQL Server 2000/2005/2008/2008 R2 & Data Migration
• Oracle 10g (Toad 8.6)
• MS Access
• MS SQL Server Integration Services (Extract, Transform, Load)

What are the chances
Old May 20th 2015, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by AftabAK
Thank you McLeod and all other senior BE members.

I am a Software Developer having 6 years of experience with skills in

• MS Visual Basic 6.0
• .Net Languages (VB.Net, C#.Net)
• .Net Framework 2.0, 3.5, 4.0
• T-SQL
• MS SQL Server 2000/2005/2008/2008 R2 & Data Migration
• Oracle 10g (Toad 8.6)
• MS Access
• MS SQL Server Integration Services (Extract, Transform, Load)

What are the chances
no one is going to be able to tell you that, it depends if there is a company advertising a job you are qualified to do and if you can get through the interview process and offered a position, you then have to get through Immigration to accept the job offer and issue a visa.
MrF had to have his job offer rewritten 3 times until Immigration were happy with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.