Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I promised to do this a while back , grocery comparison.

I promised to do this a while back , grocery comparison.

Old Jan 30th 2017, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I promised to do this a while back , grocery comparison.

Originally Posted by Kotare
What an awful diet Brits subsist on.
This is the definitive answer. As you can see 8.9% of the average family budget goes on food in the UK. In NZ it is 12.1%

Thus you can see the comments about 'double or treble food prices in NZ' is patently not true. It is roughly 25% more expensive here if you shop 'normally'. Personally I find it no more expensive than the UK, but then again I only ever buy discounted food, near its sell by or 'on offer', 'loss leaders' are what I buy along with reduced to clear stuff.

The link......http://wsm.wsu.edu/researcher/wsmaug11_billions.pdf
Old Jan 30th 2017, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
This is the definitive answer. As you can see 8.9% of the average family budget goes on food in the UK. In NZ it is 12.1%

Thus you can see the comments about 'double or treble food prices in NZ' is patently not true. It is roughly 25% more expensive here if you shop 'normally'. Personally I find it no more expensive than the UK, but then again I only ever buy discounted food, near its sell by or 'on offer', 'loss leaders' are what I buy along with reduced to clear stuff.

The link......http://wsm.wsu.edu/researcher/wsmaug11_billions.pdf
I can only tell you what I have found and what I have found so far is exactly what I predicted.

But just for you I'll do a full week shopping comparison but just so you can prepare yourself emotionally I'm expecting similar results.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I can only tell you what I have found and what I have found so far is exactly what I predicted.

But just for you I'll do a full week shopping comparison but just so you can prepare yourself emotionally I'm expecting similar results.
As long as you compare leg of lamb, sirloin steak, free range chicken not lentils and chick peas :-)
Old Jan 30th 2017, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
As long as you compare leg of lamb, sirloin steak, free range chicken not lentils and chick peas :-)
I've just had a quick look and it's the same results.

We do buy meat just so you know, our baby boy isn't being raised a vegetarian.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care what food costs in the UK. I live in NZ. It is totally irrelvant to me. And as I said folk coming over here wanna worry way more about getting $1.60 to a pound for their hard earned life savings not the price of a pint of milk or a loaf of bread.

Plus I think the UK is going to find food prices rising when it leaves the EU, plus you also have rising interest rates to deal with in the uk in the not too distant future, they are on their way up too in NZ and across the rest of the 1st world.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

wez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nice

I've 'lived' in NZ for 3 weeks now, I leave tomorrow :-(.
I have been shopping loads here for groceries and I've not been put off, in fact, I've been surprised at how inexpensive decent meat is here, I bought some premium diced lamb to make a curry yesterday for 4 people and it cost me $13. That was about 750g. It was nice too.
Overall, it's a little more expensive but nothing major. Just go for stuff on promotion. I do that in UK anyway.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

86 pence today to buy a euro. The pound is sinking further and further. I have read that for many now in the UK, Europe is just too expensive to visit since Brexit said "Out!"
[url]https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&u act=8&ved=0ahUKEwigoM2g9erRAhXBG5QKHVkmBp8QFggmMAI &url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fbusiness% 2F2017%2Fjan%2F03%2Fpetrol-food-prices-uk-rising-2017&usg=AFQjCNGZJ0Wf-WV4VN4BTrQVh0kxNBkYzA&bvm=bv.145822982,d.dGo

Last edited by Genesis; Jan 30th 2017 at 9:32 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...45822982,d.dGo

The above is way more critical for folk thinking of coming here. A year ago you could get about $2.40NZ for a pound. Today its about $1.70. A drop in the value of the GBP of about 30%!

Last edited by Genesis; Jan 30th 2017 at 9:40 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

leandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really nice

Hi all,just out of curiosity I did a shop on the Countdown website going trough my last receipt from Sainsburys.I shop every week in Sainsburys for the main part of our groceries plus I buy a few staples from Lidl (once a month) and Waitrose (you get 20% off due to the Waitrose card/Pick your 10 items offer) and I also buy a few things from Poundland (toilet paper,vanish ,brown sugar etc.).My shop at Sainsburys was £60.66 and at Countdown was $165.40 / £96.82.It appears on paper that shopping in NZ would be more expensive and I am sure a few things are if you consider lack of competition,smaller population,import duty etc. BUT,like in England I would be shopping around,I would shop mainly at Pac n Save with a few staples from NewWorld/Countdown.Since the Brexit referendum prices have increased and will increase further,going on holiday will cost a chunk more also! I would happily pay more for my groceries in NZ to not put up with this mess over here! Unfortunately due to work commitments we are here for a few years more
Old Jan 31st 2017, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea Matt, but maybe you should use Tesco, not Aldi, for your UK shop to more reflect like for like and also so your maths can be checked online
Old Jan 31st 2017, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Doesn't make any difference. We shop at Aldi and Asda, I've never even been in a Tescos. I'm comparing what we spent on groceries in NZ to what we spend on groceries here. If I shopped around and went to the discount shops and market I could get stuff even cheaper but I can't be arsed.

Fill your boots if you want to do a Tesco comparison, it's all online these days.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

In the three months we've been in NZ I would say that if you shop to the specials then the food prices are only slightly more expensive, when the mailers come thru the letter box I do a quick scan to see who has the better meat offers / prices on the things I must by that week and off I go.

All in all grocery shopping in NZ is like shopping at Tesco's with a bit of Waitrose thrown in for a HOW MUCH moment, I shopped in Tesco's for a good ten years before I discovered Aldi... I bloody love Aldi... but I seriously hand on heart do not think the grocery prices in NZ are that horrific, as long as you shop smartly (to the specials not necessarily the clearance items). Petrol is loads cheaper here and for me I consider the two a balance out of sorts.

I stocked up on loads of things, like Aveeno lotion for example but I've seen it on offer here loads of times for the same price as I paid in the UK.

My kids have started school today, its cost about $500 to get them kitted out for a normal state school including the fee donations, the uniform is a bloody rip off, having to pay for every pencil they use and no free meals / school dinner option is a massive adjustment.

Oh and we did transfer our life savings over last week at $1.60... now that was horrific.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

valleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nicevalleygurl is just really nice

If you stick to a meal plan each week and only buying what you need ( which I also did in the uk shopping at Aldi) buy reduced meat at the supermarket and meat from farmers and home kill you can really come in on budget! Our weekly shop each week for a family of 4 is roughly $170 which is around £20 more expensive.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree
In the three months we've been in NZ I would say that if you shop to the specials then the food prices are only slightly more expensive, when the mailers come thru the letter box I do a quick scan to see who has the better meat offers / prices on the things I must by that week and off I go.

All in all grocery shopping in NZ is like shopping at Tesco's with a bit of Waitrose thrown in for a HOW MUCH moment, I shopped in Tesco's for a good ten years before I discovered Aldi... I bloody love Aldi... but I seriously hand on heart do not think the grocery prices in NZ are that horrific, as long as you shop smartly (to the specials not necessarily the clearance items). Petrol is loads cheaper here and for me I consider the two a balance out of sorts.

I stocked up on loads of things, like Aveeno lotion for example but I've seen it on offer here loads of times for the same price as I paid in the UK.

My kids have started school today, its cost about $500 to get them kitted out for a normal state school including the fee donations, the uniform is a bloody rip off, having to pay for every pencil they use and no free meals / school dinner option is a massive adjustment.

Oh and we did transfer our life savings over last week at $1.60... now that was horrific.
You raise an interesting point - specials and the damn flyers, some the food particular meat can be reasonable price when special but ridiculous otherwise, same with butter - there's always a special brand other's a couple of $'s more.
Yet I don't ever recall getting a supermarket flyer from Morrisons, Sainsburys or Tescos back in the UK, nor did I want for the lack of one. Instead usually consistent pricing, except for the odd BOGOF offers.

It's the same with petrol, the 4c, 6c or even occasional 20c a litre off vouchers, compromise price comparisons, and consumers are ripped off.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
86 pence today to buy a euro. The pound is sinking further and further. I have read that for many now in the UK, Europe is just too expensive to visit since Brexit said "Out!"
I don't know about that and people from Europe also visted the UK when it was €1.40 or more to buy a pound. It's still cheap to book a holiday and those people will still pay less for their beer in Benidorm than back home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.