Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I Enrolled on Mauri Ora course today

I Enrolled on Mauri Ora course today

Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:44 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I Enrolled on Mauri Ora course today

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Now if you said you were from Essex ..........
In a Scottish accent
Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:01 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Originally Posted by Campbells
I am from the Clan Campbell ( just incase you are interested ) and realised when I was in London that not too many English folk were interested in a Scottish history lesson !

Mind the gap
They came from Fort William with murder in mind.
The Campbell had orders King William had signed.
"Put all to the sword"- these words underlined,
"And leave none alive called MacDonald."

A Few Scots may be interested
Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:45 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ned
They came from Fort William with murder in mind.
The Campbell had orders King William had signed.
"Put all to the sword"- these words underlined,
"And leave none alive called MacDonald."

A Few Scots may be interested
Some background ....

http://www.self-catering-scotland.com/historyofscotland
Old Mar 10th 2008, 2:18 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I'd post a quick update on this as a couple of people were asking about it at Karen's.

We're on to the third kete (pack) now. The learning materials provided are very good. There's a bit of a range of styles between the books but they cover quite a lot.
We've had at least $300 worth of books, plus DVDs, CDs and other bits, as well as lots of smaller books produced by the Te Wananga O Aotearoa themselves. I've been reading them on the train on the way to and from work.

The more I read, the more comfortable I get with Maori terms, language etc. I will definitely be going back and re-reading the earlier books now I know more of the words used.

The first kete covered Maori culture and spirituality.
The second moved on to history and legends
The third covers what happened when the pakeha arrived
We haven't received the fourth yet.

There are overlaps between the kete, and some of the materials cover the same ground, such as the books on history and the land wars, and the five DVD pack which also covers the land wars. This is not a bad thing as they have different details, and reading about something, then seeing it portrayed on DVD helps make it stick in your head.

I think this course is excellent as it gives an immigrant so much more background in the country's history and culture. Obviously it's skewed towards the Maori side of things, but it makes you think and want to learn more.

As I said earlier it's free, but you have to be prepared to put in a few hours a week to get the real benefits.

http://www.mauriora.ac.nz/

Last edited by RobClubley; Mar 10th 2008 at 2:50 am.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:00 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Tena koutou katoa

Hi - thought I would add that I too have enrolled on the course which should begin for me in April.

I have also enrolled on Learn Te Reo Maori and that is a free 36 week course run at the college here in Parirua. It is 2 hours a week monday or wednesday evenings, or you can do the course from home. Although I have found it beneficial to be in a room with other people so that I can learn the correct pronunciation.

Taku Mihi

Ko Cheeks Hill te maunga
Ko Trent te awa
Ko England te iwi
Ko Midlands te marae
Ko Katie toku ingoa
No Tittensor au
Ko Ian toku matua. Kua mate ia
Ko Lynne toku whaea
Ko Karl toku tungane.
No reira, tena koutou, tena koutou, tena koutou katoa.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:07 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
Tena koutou katoa

Taku Mihi

Ko Cheeks Hill te maunga
Ko Trent te awa
Ko England te iwi
Ko Midlands te marae
Ko Katie toku ingoa
No Tittensor au
Ko Lynne toku whaea
Ko Karl toku tungane.
Ko Boeing 747-400 Toku Waka!!!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Ko Boeing 747-400 Toku Waka!!!
hahaha yes - i was tempted to say that, but thought it bit of a p-take. I already have a cheeky hill for a mountain.

Maybe 'Ko Honda Odyssey te waka'
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:11 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

hahaha yes - i was tempted to say that, but thought it bit of a p-take. I already have a cheeky hill for a mountain.

Maybe 'Ko Honda Odyssey te waka'
Don't worry! my Maori teacher in high school taught us that one when we had to say a mihi.

Ko Honda Odyssey te moto ka
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Don't worry! my Maori teacher in high school taught us that one when we had to say a mihi.

Ko Honda Odyssey te moto ka
have to say its a really odd feeling being the only Brit in a room full of Maori people. Firstly, they have an advantage over me!!! This is all COMPLETELY new to me whereas these guys have had a lifetime of exposure to the language.

Secondly I think its also sad that these guys are not fluent in their native tongue - they too feel sad. Without going into a whole new argument as to why.... its a shame when languages all over the world gradually become redundant.

To me it sounds a beautiful language and flows lovely.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Tena koutou katoa

Taku Mihi

Ko Cheeks Hill te maunga
Ko Trent te awa
Ko England te iwi
Ko Midlands te marae
Ko Katie toku ingoa
No Tittensor au
Ko Lynne toku whaea
Ko Karl toku tungane.

Tena koe Katie!

It's quite a difficult thing to do for the first time. Lots of Maori never had any exposure to the language, so you're not alone, they probably know as little as you did.

Ko Rangitoto te maunga
Ko Pakeha tōku Iwi
Ko Ngati Ranana tōku hapu
Ko waka-rererengi tōku waka
Ko Tāmaki-makau-rau tōku kainga
Ko Piripi rāua ko Kereti XXXX ōku mātua
Ko Bro1 rāua ko Bro2 ōku tungāne
Ko M*** taku hoa rangatira.
Ko Bo-Jangles tōku ingoa

Nō reira, kia ora koutou, kua hui mai nei, ki tēnei wāhi.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:03 am
Banned

Ehh Jabba Du Hutt ?

E wonna wonga
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:05 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Tena koutou katoa

Hi - thought I would add that I too have enrolled on the course which should begin for me in April.

I have also enrolled on Learn Te Reo Maori and that is a free 36 week course run at the college here in Parirua. It is 2 hours a week monday or wednesday evenings, or you can do the course from home. Although I have found it beneficial to be in a room with other people so that I can learn the correct pronunciation.

Taku Mihi

Ko Cheeks Hill te maunga
Ko Trent te awa
Ko England te iwi
Ko Midlands te marae
Ko Katie toku ingoa
No Tittensor au
Ko Lynne toku whaea
Ko Karl toku tungane.
First lesson ...... get the name of your city right and remember the vowels
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
First lesson ...... get the name of your city right and remember the vowels
with reference to taku mihi i referred to my birthplace but in time i will (hopefully) refer to Papakowhai as my home. Next question, whats my mountain?! I think its Whitireia?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:17 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Mt Kau Kau ?? I'd have Mt Victoria for the views