Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How much to live on for family in Christchurch

How much to live on for family in Christchurch

Old Jul 4th 2017, 6:57 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much to live on for family in Christchurch

Originally Posted by Flyddo
Hi there

I have got a first class honours degree and nearly 3 years nursing experience and have been told by various employers in healthcare in Nz that it shouldn't be an issue...
Just hoping there are a few community /district nursing positions available
That's as maybe, BUT it does take time for it to happen, perhaps a look at what is required via the NZ nursing site would help, giving you an idea of the time frame at least.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Hey, me and my partner built our first home in Rolleston a few months ago and love it here. Traffic to town flows nicely compared to north Canterbury and it is a very well self contained town that is constantly growing in population and businesses are popping up all the time. There are plenty of rentals to choose from and most homes are quite modern so well suited for the winter months here. You kind of get that quiet small town feel here while being so close to the city for conveniance so you get the best of both worlds. I'd certainly recommend living here as wages match the cost of living and house prices unlike areas suck as Auckland, Tauranga and Queenstown
Old Jul 10th 2017, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Flyddo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddy234
Hey, me and my partner built our first home in Rolleston a few months ago and love it here. Traffic to town flows nicely compared to north Canterbury and it is a very well self contained town that is constantly growing in population and businesses are popping up all the time. There are plenty of rentals to choose from and most homes are quite modern so well suited for the winter months here. You kind of get that quiet small town feel here while being so close to the city for conveniance so you get the best of both worlds. I'd certainly recommend living here as wages match the cost of living and house prices unlike areas suck as Auckland, Tauranga and Queenstown
Thanks for the reply above. How much do rentals normally go for in a fairly average area for a 4 bedroom home?

Are the people in Rolleston welcoming to British people?

Also what are the schools like in the area?

Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2017, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reply above. How much do rentals normally go for in a fairly average area for a 4 bedroom home?

Are the people in Rolleston welcoming to British people?

Also what are the schools like in the area?

Thanks
Rentals for a modern 4 bedroom home cost around $450-500 a week.

As for being welcoming to British people, rolleston like Christchurch itself has a fairly diverse population and more than welcomes British people, I find everyone is treated equally here, none discriminated against and none given special treatment over others

As for schools, Rolleston has two primary schools one of which is a Christian school. It also has one quite large high school that was only finished several months ago. It is a fairly self contained town with everything you need while also being a convenient 10-15 minutes drive to Christchurch. Anymore questions just feel free to ask as when it comes to something as big as this the more research you do the better ☺
Old Jul 30th 2017, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Flyddo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

So the ball is rolling, I have applied for my Ielts in order to be able to become a nurse in Nz.

Just after some advice, my husband has been told by his future employer in Nz to go for the essential skills visa and then once we are there apply for residency.

Just wondering how and what visas myself and the children need to apply for and can it all be done in one application?

Also how has Rolleston faired with the flooding?

Thanks again!!
Old Jul 31st 2017, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Also how has Rolleston faired with the flooding
It was unaffected - very well draining soils in most of Rolleston.