Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How to file a UK tax return for UK rental property?

How to file a UK tax return for UK rental property?

Old Apr 18th 2015, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice
Default How to file a UK tax return for UK rental property?

Hi

We still have a rental property for a place in the UK, but the self-assessment form online states you can only use this if you are a UK resident. Do we just file a paper return then?

Also, how does the TAX work? Will we get taxed on any income and do we need to need to notify the NZ revenue?

Cheers
D
Old Apr 18th 2015, 8:42 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to file a UK tax return for UK rental property?

Originally Posted by desmondo84
Hi

We still have a rental property for a place in the UK, but the self-assessment form online states you can only use this if you are a UK resident. Do we just file a paper return then?

Also, how does the TAX work? Will we get taxed on any income and do we need to need to notify the NZ revenue?

Cheers
D
Paper return.
You need to complete the correct forms for HMRC (SA109, HS304) together with your Self Assessment submission, correctly completed, then you will be untaxed on your state and private UK pensions for 4 years in NZ as a resident.
These forms are not on line submissable but can be downloaded from HMRC site. The pension amounts should not be entered on the yearly self assessment for. Are you sure that NZ IRD know that you are a NZ resident? Have you completed
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/nz_indiv.pdf which goes to NZ Inland Revenue for approval prior to being sent to HMRC .
Old Apr 18th 2015, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

flip, that is a bit of a nightmare in terms of paperwork lol.

I have a NZ IRD number and would have declared residency at that stage. But I'll submit one of those double taxation forms.

I'm not drawing a pension - I just have the UK rental.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 9:41 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desmondo84
flip, that is a bit of a nightmare in terms of paperwork lol.

I have a NZ IRD number and would have declared residency at that stage. But I'll submit one of those double taxation forms.

I'm not drawing a pension - I just have the UK rental.
Your UK rental will go on form SA 105
Old Apr 18th 2015, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Chocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really niceChocoholics is just really nice

You need to notify HMRC that you are living in NZ and give them your address. If you have tax to pay i.e. you are UK resident for tax purposes (you probably are) they will send you a self-assessment form. I'd also ask them if you can do it on-line as I thought you could.

You will also have to start paying the IRD on overseas income 4 years after you arrived in NZ.

Good news is that with the UK tax allowance and IRD 4 year exemption you might not have to pay any tax for the first 4 years depending on your situation. Although my understanding is that HMRC are reviewing the tax allowance for expats at the moment.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 3:38 am

I do not think SA 105 can be submitted on line.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Just got the email to do SA for 2014/2015. Oh the joys ! Real pain in the ass ! Only reason we do it is because we are still renting out our UK house so have a UK income albeit not much.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Good luck, 2 yrs after we left we are still waiting for HMRC to sort our tax. We told them we were leaving and completed a form 85 as asked, then heard nothing. After 12mths we realised that they were still taxing hubbies pension, so for the last 8mths we have been phoning them every couple of weeks. Keep copies of everything sent as they said forms hadn't arrived, so we had to send another set, then got told they had arrived in January, in February told they hadn't, in March was told they had been filed on his PAYE account!!!!
Finally yesterday received a calculation, we owe them £14, they still haven't associated that we don't pay tax on his pension, then we received another form, a form 304, which no one had thought to send us previously, we are told that once this is done they will stop taxing and recalculate the assessment.
We are getting a accountant to do our 2014/2015 return and my advice would be to do the same. Trying to do it via snail mail and over the phone at 10pm at night is highly stressful