Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

House still not sold.......guess loads of you in the same boat!!!!

House still not sold.......guess loads of you in the same boat!!!!

Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

linzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nice
Default Re: House still not sold.......guess loads of you in the same boat!!!!

Originally Posted by strawbie
hows the house selling going guys??? well we have the 1st viewer in about 9 months on saturday, which i got quite excited about until we were told that they aint even got their house for sale yet!!!! why waste folks time by looking at houses???? how bloody annoying, feel like telling em not to bother as i will now have to spend 2 days cleaning. But.....on the other hand you just never know when 'the one' comes along do you! so, fingers crossed. thankfully we are all going out and leaving the agent to do the viewing.
Funnily enough we had a viewing last saturday but same as you she doesn't have hers on the market yet. Estate agent phoned on Sunday to say that she loved the house and has asked them to put hers on the market. They phoned again yesterday to say that she has had 3 valuations on her property but they were all lower than she expected so she's not sure where she can get the extra funds from to afford ours!!! Great!!!!(she's a bit too old to be taking on a mortgage).
I think you are right letting people look round coz you never know they may get a fast sale on theirs, or they may recommend your property to someone else who's looking. It's really frustrating coz I don't know about you, but I feel that my whole life is on hold at the moment until we sell the house.
Glad that you have a viewing and it could well be the start of a 'few' yiu never know. HAPPY CLEANING and keep us posted.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

sukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nicesukilou78 is just really nice

we've had our house up for 4 weeks now, and not one single viewing
so we decided to reduce the price, which is really scary in itself.

We are not like some on here who have their houses up for at least £250000 we are more at the bottom end of the market and have reduced it by 8000 to £159950.

And with it being a 3 storey townhouse it puts people off before they even enter it.

we are now in a vicious circle at the moment can't really apply for job until the house is sold and can't go further for immigration until we have a job offer
arghhh.

good luck to all who are in the same boat
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, I'll keep you all posted! Yes, our life is completely in limbo land too! simply need to sell n we're off!!! Well, today i have bleached, swept, vacced, scrubbed and mopped til my fingers bled-well, ached!! My youngest daughter and I have barely seen the sun light!! Its quite nice to have the house clean and tidy from top to bottom, it wont last long though with 3 nippers!!
Have you got PR Linzi?? xx
Old Jun 26th 2009, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

not to put a dampner on things, but it took me nearly 2 years to sell, 5 buyers (4 were forced to pull out by their buyers pulling out, final one completed) and having had to drop £155,000 in order to finally sell.
But, it only takes one and so not dont give up, as if it's your dream, you will eventually live it, with luck and determination.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sukilou78
we've had our house up for 4 weeks now, and not one single viewing
so we decided to reduce the price, which is really scary in itself.

We are not like some on here who have their houses up for at least £250000 we are more at the bottom end of the market and have reduced it by 8000 to £159950.

And with it being a 3 storey townhouse it puts people off before they even enter it.

we are now in a vicious circle at the moment can't really apply for job until the house is sold and can't go further for immigration until we have a job offer
arghhh.

good luck to all who are in the same boat
Yep, I understand the feeling with some of the reductions mentioned on here, I'd have actually being paying people to buy mine.

Hang in there and don't be afraid to price it realistically.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, thought i'd give this thread a 'bump' up the charts!!! Hows everyone getting on with house sales??? A viewer we had end of June posted a letter through our door 3weeks ago to say they were still interested in our house and would prefer to speak directly to us rather than pass messages through agent so my hubby went to see him and they came back for 2nd viewing 2wks ago and spent 2hrs with us!! They have since rang and said they've decided they would like to proceed further they don't need to sell their house and are arranging an independant valuation on ours!! Not sure why, think it may be so they can sort their finances out!? They havent put an offer in yet, obviously the valuation may play a part in what they offer, but things are momentarily looking up!! So, although its far too early to plan anything it has to be discussed, as it could be a quick sale should it end up going down that route!! I was actually feeling rather emotional and beginning to realise how much i would miss friends, family and my lovely house!!
Old Sep 25th 2009, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

lyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nice

Hi all,

Just an update on this thread.....

We had the house on the market since June 2008 with a local estate agent at the time. This agent was only sending people who did not have their own houses on the market or did not have a clue as to the size of an acre..... thinking it was an average back garden. Needless to say that in November 2008 we went with another estate agent.

Again the only people who seemed to be interested were not in a position to proceed even before veiwing the house. I know that alot of advice from the people on here was to put up with it because there is a chance that one would be in a position sooner or later to proceed, but it doesn't help when you are being told that yet another viewer wishes to see the house when they have not sold their own yet.

It all came to a head at the end of August when it was hubby's birthday and we had the feeling that our lives had been put on hold for the last year hoping that we would be able to sell the house and start a new life in NZ. Reality then kicked in and we had to make a decision as to whether we were prepared to put our lives on hold for a further year or more! In this instance I had had "a guts full". All the plans we had made were just hanging in the air and could go no further without the house sale.

We took the decision to remove the house from the market and concentrate on what we already had. I made the phone call to the estate agent the following morning and explained that we had a deadline and due to the house not selling within the alotted timeframe we had been forced to stay where we were. The estate agent apologised for not being able to help us further but did say that things were starting to move again and would I be prepared to give it a little bit more time.....to which I answered "NO"! (Can you tell I had had enough lol!!)

Anyway, 3 hours after I had taken the house off the market it was sold!!!!

The solicitors were informed last week and all the paperwork has been sent over to both parties, just waiting for a completion date now

I have reserved a property to rent here through an estate agent while we go through the immigration process and then found out that the owner of the property is already resident in NZ......how spooky is this getting?

My thoughts are with all of you who have yet to sell your property, I know how you feel, but hang on in there..............someone is looking to buy and it only takes one!!!!

Lynda XX
Old Sep 25th 2009, 1:31 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

that strange old thing called 'fate' looks as though its finally kicking in for you guys!!!
Good luck to all of you looking for that 'get out of limbo land card'!!
B x
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lyndanchris
Hi all,

We had the house on the market since June 2008 with a local estate agent at the time. This agent was only sending people who did not have their own houses on the market or did not have a clue as to the size of an acre..... thinking it was an average back garden. Needless to say that in November 2008 we went with another estate agent.

Again the only people who seemed to be interested were not in a position to proceed even before veiwing the house. I know that alot of advice from the people on here was to put up with it because there is a chance that one would be in a position sooner or later to proceed, but it doesn't help when you are being told that yet another viewer wishes to see the house when they have not sold their own yet.

It all came to a head at the end of August when it was hubby's birthday and we had the feeling that our lives had been put on hold for the last year hoping that we would be able to sell the house and start a new life in NZ. Reality then kicked in and we had to make a decision as to whether we were prepared to put our lives on hold for a further year or more! In this instance I had had "a guts full". All the plans we had made were just hanging in the air and could go no further without the house sale.

We took the decision to remove the house from the market and concentrate on what we already had. I made the phone call to the estate agent the following morning and explained that we had a deadline and due to the house not selling within the alotted timeframe we had been forced to stay where we were. The estate agent apologised for not being able to help us further but did say that things were starting to move again and would I be prepared to give it a little bit more time.....to which I answered "NO"! (Can you tell I had had enough lol!!)

The solicitors were informed last week and all the paperwork has been sent over to both parties, just waiting for a completion date now

I have reserved a property to rent here through an estate agent while we go through the immigration process and then found out that the owner of the property is already resident in NZ......how spooky is this getting?

My thoughts are with all of you who have yet to sell your property, I know how you feel, but hang on in there..............someone is looking to buy and it only takes one!!!!

Lynda XX
How bizarre!!! great, was it someone who had already looked at it??
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lyndanchris
Hi all,

Lynda XX
Wow Lynda, Congrats!

Thanks Strawbie for bumping up this post as I am sadly one of those now in that boat. Have had lots of viewings (after price reduction of £30,000) but no real offers so now thinking of renting. Hope your buyer comes good - and if you've any spare, send 'em on to me!

Like many others, the comments why people don't want to buy astound me - it isn't open plan - ur, no, it's a 150 year old cottage, there are too many showers or the location is wrong (no, we didn't move it just for the viewing )

Got to the point where manic house cleaning is no longer an option -settling for tidy!

Hope to announce a sale SOOOON
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cadibel
Wow Lynda, Congrats!

Thanks Strawbie for bumping up this post as I am sadly one of those now in that boat. Have had lots of viewings (after price reduction of £30,000) but no real offers so now thinking of renting. Hope your buyer comes good - and if you've any spare, send 'em on to me!

Like many others, the comments why people don't want to buy astound me - it isn't open plan - ur, no, it's a 150 year old cottage, there are too many showers or the location is wrong (no, we didn't move it just for the viewing )

Got to the point where manic house cleaning is no longer an option -settling for tidy!

Hope to announce a sale SOOOON

We've had ours for sale well over a year and only had 3 viewers! We havent bothered to reduce ours as it wasnt a dire rush and as we are at the higher end of market didnt think it would make a huge difference to the amount of viewings!! We are expecting a much lower bid, but that will be considered depending on how low! Everythings looking positive as the guy has grown up around this area and his dad and sister live local, his kids are at the nearest school and they live close by, its just a step up the property ladder from them and to be honest, in this area theres not alot of choice!! so..... we are finding it hard to believe that things might just go our way, but i guess we've had to wait a long time and gaining our pr wasnt plain sailing! anyway, good luck to you Cadibel, it will happen for us all at some point, its just when!! its awful though, as we are now talking about making plans and that we may be able to go in the new year, but one phonecall could send us right back to no buyer!!
Old Sep 25th 2009, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

kejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nice

For me everything is in the solicitors hands now with our sale, hope to complete within 2 - 3 weeks.

We had a viewing first day it went on the market with an offer that was somewhat short of what we were prepared to accept. They came back but again wasn't going to give the house away.

Anyway, had about 4 more viewings, some with houses not on market yet... then got a viewing and an offer we accepted, only £1k down on what we wanted , and this was with the house being on the market for only 5 weeks.

I am keeping fingers crossed no late glitches, but problem now is I have to find something to rent for 4-6 months as I didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

kejktfc

Last edited by kejktfc; Sep 25th 2009 at 5:27 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud ofHippygran2 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: House still not sold.......guess loads of you in the same boat!!!!

Hi all, as the original starter of this thread - Yes, I'm still here in the UK but things have moved on a bit since I last posted. Our house was put on the market at the end October 2008, since then we have had 14 lots of viewers. You may ask 'why hasn't it sold'. As I wrote originally, it is a small cottage, not a family house, ideal for two, small patio back garden etc etc. Anyway, to cut a long story short......... a week last Wednesday an older couple from Lincolnshire had seen it from the road when visiting their son living in our area, wanting to move back to this area, made an appointment to view, liked the house very much, made an offer which was too low which we refused, came back with a better one and we accepted. We are not jumping up & down just yet as our buyer's purchaser's are still sorting out their mortgage and our buyers do not wish to proceed until that is sorted, the chain thing!!! So that's where we are at the moment.

We are hoping to leave the UK around early November, send our furniture on and stay with family in Murrays Bay (North Shore) until it arrives. We already have a house sorted out to rent in Torbay so I'm just hoping things will start to move soon. Just want to say to all of you still waiting for a house sale, I do know what you are going through - it's a long, frustrating, sometimes boring, seemingly endless journey but I do hope all of you that are 'in the same boat' that the house market picks up again and you get to live your dream in NZ.

Good luck to everyone.

Joan
Old Sep 25th 2009, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

That's great to hear. I hope it all goes through okay

It took us 18 months to sell and a drop of £100,000 but we arrived in NZ on Wednesday, just a few days before my residents visa ran out (talk about cutting it fine). Anyway, so far so good. The beach is fab, the weather not so fab and life is looking good, we just need to find somewhere to live, get the kids into school and buy a car....

Follow your dreams, and eventually, hopefully it will happen.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by strawbie
A viewer we had end of June posted a letter through our door 3weeks ago to say they were still interested in our house and would prefer to speak directly to us rather than pass messages through agent so my hubby went to see him and they came back for 2nd viewing 2wks ago and spent 2hrs with us!! They have since rang and said they've decided they would like to proceed further they don't need to sell their house and are arranging an independant valuation on ours!! Not sure why, think it may be so they can sort their finances out!?
Be very wary as to just how "independent" their valuation actually is. Couple this with their unwillingness to talk to your agent, and I'm suspicious a lowball bid may be coming your way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.