Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

High schools in wellington...

High schools in wellington...

Old Aug 25th 2008, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

klicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant future
Default High schools in wellington...

Hi,- my OH is looking at schools tomorrow and any info about Wellington High and i think he mentioned Onslow High is greatly appriciated. My son is 15 and he likes the look of Wellington High (no uniform and he loves playing the guitar and wants to play in a band,,he saw the photos on the web) and he doesnt want to go to an all boys school either , so if anybody has kids in High school around Wellington..... would love to hear from you ! Oh is also looking at houses for us ,so we need to be in the Zone...like the look of Khandallah ??thanks, from Susannex
Old Aug 25th 2008, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High schools in wellington...

I suggest you look at the ERO reports on all the schools as most posters on here have younger kids.
I agree about the co-ed thing but unfortunately the boys' state senior school which everyone rates highly is Wellington Boys on the Basin Reserve and you have to live within the zone (which is not necessarily where you'd expect it to be.)

I know someone whose kids go to Onslow and seem happy (early days though) but I don't know anyone at the other mixed school you mentioned.

Khandallah is expatville and convenient (bus ride away) for all the schools you mention and a great choice if you can afford it.
OTHER STUFF:
Hope your OH had a good day at work today and that his new colleagues made him feel welcome....it won't be easy for you all being apart so long but I can see it makes sense for your daughter.
Tell your OH he has seen Wellington at its worst so far, having arrived on Saturday and it will get much better weatherwise honestly.
We also stayed in the Boulcott Street apartments for a while assuming it's the same one....good choice as he can walk to work.
He could also register with a GP in the CBD at least until you have your permanent accommodation....the 'out of hours' doctor service is on Adelaide Road in Newtown,,,,,,A&E is further up the road at Wellington Hospital.
We were able to get wifi at 66 Boulcott Street on our laptop via cafenet.
The New World Metro is his nearest supermarket on Willis Street.
Time for bed this end lol!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

klicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I suggest you look at the ERO reports on all the schools as most posters on here have younger kids.
I agree about the co-ed thing but unfortunately the boys' state senior school which everyone rates highly is Wellington Boys on the Basin Reserve and you have to live within the zone (which is not necessarily where you'd expect it to be.)

I know someone whose kids go to Onslow and seem happy (early days though) but I don't know anyone at the other mixed school you mentioned.

Khandallah is expatville and convenient (bus ride away) for all the schools you mention and a great choice if you can afford it.
OTHER STUFF:
Hope your OH had a good day at work today and that his new colleagues made him feel welcome....it won't be easy for you all being apart so long but I can see it makes sense for your daughter.
Tell your OH he has seen Wellington at its worst so far, having arrived on Saturday and it will get much better weatherwise honestly.
We also stayed in the Boulcott Street apartments for a while assuming it's the same one....good choice as he can walk to work.
He could also register with a GP in the CBD at least until you have your permanent accommodation....the 'out of hours' doctor service is on Adelaide Road in Newtown,,,,,,A&E is further up the road at Wellington Hospital.
We were able to get wifi at 66 Boulcott Street on our laptop via cafenet.
The New World Metro is his nearest supermarket on Willis Street.
Time for bed this end lol!
Thank you sooo much for all the info you gave me !! I pass it on to OH .Good idea about the wifi .I think I or we would prefer to live somewhere with easy transport, as we have older kids ?? I am also abit worried about driving automatic(never done that before ) and it really sound pathetic... but am not soo good driving in citys AND hills start and stops give me the creeps . I never had to use the handbrake much, as we only ever lived in very very flat areas, so thats going to be very interesting....i know that sound hilarious to some people !!!I guess living around Wellington gets you very fit if you walk.Beats the gym i guess.Thanks again and i hope your weather gets better, its very dull over here .
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

You can stick to manual if you want...we did so we wouldn't get out of practice....automatic is much easier to drive - our hire car was automatic but we bought a manual car - Wellington isn't a very big city - do not worry about driving - the only weird bit is the one-way system through the centre of Wellington and that part of town along the waterfront is flat. There are lots of traffic lights and once you know which lane you need to be in and when it's easy..central Wellington driving is pretty polite I find.
I live on the airport side of town but once you've chosen your school you need to make sure you rent/buy within the zone.