Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi from New Zealand

Hi from New Zealand

Old Aug 20th 2003, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to NZ, but found the thread a great read. Keep on posting.

Whisky
Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All

I just wanted to thanks Shirley for her comments. We can relate to everything you have written and that exactly how we are feeling right now. Although I would say that we are more interested now as we have made some friends and started looking at thier houses to understand what you get for your money. We had th 1200m of land with house in our minds and having seen 3 houses in a plot and small gardens we felt another picture we had in our minds was wrong.

Well the interview / chat I had yesterday with a company I looking for work with went ok. You never know how it really went until you hear either way. They have said they will give me a call.

We are leaving Auckland today to go travelling, starting with the Coromandel. The weather today is awful, with high winds and lots of rain, though the forecast says it gets better. We have said to friends we have already made, that the weather is crap, but they have pointed out that it is winter and the equivalent of December in the UK, so with temperatures of 16 degrees we really shouldn't complain. I think the bad weather is also not heloing for us to see the true beauty of NZ

We will try and write again soon depending on when we can get internet access again.

For those wanting more info on the motel, it the Academy Motel Inn at Boteny. The facilities are excellant with underflor heating, dishwasher, jet bath, two large bedrooms, large living area, heated outdoor pool, small play area and good internet access. The people who run it, Paul and Tanya are lovely and very helpful. The washing facilities are also very good. It is a little pricey at $180 per night, but when you are here for one week with two small children it is worth every penny.
It is really central to shops and places to eat. Also only 15 mins to the airport, 30 mins to city. If you want any further details, please do let me know.

Paul
Old Aug 27th 2003, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All

Well at this present moment in time we are crossing the Tasman strait travelling from North to South Island. We have had a few busy day days seeing some different areas of New Zealand and are looking forward to seeing what the South Island has to offer.

Last time we updated you all we were in Tauranga, staying in a luxury apartment with heated pool and hot spa. It was called the Reef Apartments. Price was $150 per night. More expansive than other places, but a great location and perfoect for a two noight stay with kids. A lot of the accommodation out here is private homes or apartments which are rented out, which means you get great facilities as they are set up as someone's holiday home. Tauranga was a nice place with great beaches popular with Surfers and Kite Surfing, which is definitely a sport which I would take up if we lived in NZ, the location and weather is perfect. The weather was the best yet between 16 and 19. We know this doesn't sound hot compared to the UK tropics right now, but the sun is different out here and you need to be more aware of its power and dangers. NZ has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world.

We then left for Rotorua, which as you may know is a very smelly place due to the thermals and volcanic area. The stink wasn't as bad as we thought. We stayed in the Ventura Hotel, which was $99 per night and included breakfast, A queen bed and a single bed. Very nice and central. In the evening we went out to a Maori evening where we were taught about the history of NZ and the Maori culture. Its good to get a greater understanding of the background to NZ and why there are certain issues with Maori and the land in NZ. The kids had a great time have not stopped doing the Haka.
Next morning we went to a thermal park to see the Lady Knox geezer. We then went to see bubbling mud pools, gas vents and other sulphurous features. Got some great photo's. Again this helps understand that NZ is sitting right on one of the earths fault lines and has several active volcano's which are overdue an eruption in places.

We then left to set off for Wellington, a 5 hour journey south. We stopped off in Taupo which has huge lake and a place to do bungy jumping over a river. Before you ask, no I didn't do it, although I did get some video of some crazy Japanese jumping off.
Travelling south we saw some amazing sights and scenery of some of NZ biggest mountains including Mt Ruapehu which erupted only 8 years ago, but thank god, not when we drove by. The kids slept all the way down, and were full of life when we arrived in Wellington. We found somewhere to stay for the 2 nights, the Marksman Motel, and went out and treated ourselves to a Chinese from a local takeaway. I wouldnt recommend the motel as it was basic and not the 4 star place it suggested. The price was well over the top at $150 per night, but as we arrived late and other places were full, we had little choice. It was central and included breakfact, but nothing to the standard or luxury of the places we had stayed in previously.

Next morning we went to the Te Papa Museum of NZ, which means Our Home. As recommeded on this site, it was a great morning out with lots of hands on things for the kids to touch and do. As with most of the natural and cultural attractions in NZ it was free to all. In the afternoon we needed some retail therapy so we went for a walk around Wellington taking in the sights and seeing what it had to offer. This gave us an idea of prices for clothes and other stuff we would need. We felt that Wellington isn't anything special and neither of us really took to it.
This morning was an early start to drop of the hire car and jump on the ferry for our 3hr trip to Picton in the South Island. We will then pick up another hire car and will be staying in Nelson, with a family who we have made contact with. On Saturday we are off to our first rugby match, which should be very interesting and a lot of fun for us all. Rugby matches in NZ are a family event, where everyone is encouraged to join in and made to feel very welcome. Its a great way to get involved in the local community and way of life.
We are there for 3 nights and then set off again for further travels, which we will update you on later.

The hire car company is Omega who have offices in all of the key cities. We booked through the tourist info office at Auckland Airport. I would recommedn them as the prices are very good at $39 per day for a 2 litre auto Toyota car registered in 1998. We have had to change our booking as we have decided to stay a further week. Omega were really helpful and changed our booking with problems. They dropped us off at the port in Wellington and will be picking us up in Picton.

Well that it for now, will updated you all again soon. If you need any specific info, please do let me know.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget your rain coats! Its been raining all week in Nelson but it is clearing up and looks like a bright sunny day to day.

Have Fun
Tori
Old Sep 4th 2003, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

When we started this update we were travelling further south from Christchurch to Lake Tekapo. The kids are fast asleep and my wife is driving. Having not written for a few days this update is longer than usual, but do take the time out to read it and reply back if you have any specific questions.

When we last updated you we were on a ferry going to Picton on the south island. When we arrived the weather wasn't great with some rain, which meant we didn't see some of the great scenery offered by the Marlborough Sounds. We picked up our new car from Omega and headed off to Nelson, a 2 hr drive through a mountain range. We stayed in Nelson with a family we had made contact with back in the UK. They gave us our first real taste of life in NZ for a family with small children. They have a large 4 bed house in Brightwater, outside of Nelson, which is on a medium sized section (name for plot of land). We used their house as a base to travel the area. One day we went off to the Able Tasman, a national park reserve which is very popular with tourists and locals alike, although like most of NZ its very quiet and there is nobody about. We should have realised this when we arrived in NZ as not even the plane was full. We know its winter here, but with only 4 million people living in a country the size of the uk, wherever you go its always quiet. If you don't mind the colder temps, which aren't too bad, Winter is a great time to come.
We travelled right to the top of the Abel Tasman and stopped off for a walk on the beach. After 5 minutes we started getting attacked by a load of seagulls, swooping really low and then starting to poo during low pass by's. We aren't having much luck with birds at the moment as they are still interested in the kite. We then went to a famous NZ chocolate shop, which is actually someone's house. The girls were in their element, and our waist lines grew even more. On the way back we stopped off in a small township called Kaitiritiri, which has a small beach and some lovely property. Shania Twain has a house there. This is somewhere we could definitely live, but as there is very little work there won't be the opportunity.
The next day we went into Nelson to have a look around the city (its really just a large town, but they call it a city). We found some really interesting shops and a kite shop. If we move out here, I am definitely going to get a new kite which he can Kite surf on. Its a big sport out here. The following day we went to an end of season rugby game for the children in the Brightwater area. This was a very special day and one which really explains what kiwi's mean by the outdoor living, quality of life and spending time with your family. The game was a very low key play around for over 60 kids on an domain (public place) called Rabbit Island, which has its own beach and massive pine trees. There were presentations for each of the players who had contributed and developed the most. The parents did a sausage sizzler (sausages on a BBQ) for everyone with drinks for all. We really enjoyed watching how family life is so important to everyone in NZ. We have found that Saturdays are a half day for retail shops, and virtually nobody works on a Sunday, that's a family day.

Sunday we left Nelson and set off for a place called Hanmer Springs. This is a stunning place with huge snow topped mountains all around. This was our first taste of the snowy south of NZ and the amazing landscapes and powerful rivers. We stayed in a lovely apartment at the Glenalvon Lodge Motel and had our meal delivered direct from the restaurant next door, The Laurels. Quality meal and service. I would highly recommend this place as the people were so friendly and it is across the road from the springs. Infact they were so helpful that when I left my kite in the room, they brought it over to Christchurch for me, which saved a pointless 2hr journey either way. Typical Kiwi help we have found.

The next night we stayed in a YMCA which is bang central in Christchurch, in a apartment which looked over the city and the botanical gardens. I would never have consider staying here until our friends in Nelson recommended it after staying there themselves with their kids. The hotel offered great value for money at $125 per night for an apartment which would sleep 6 easily. We had dinner in the dinning room which was excellent at $12 per person for 3 courses and free drinks. We felt Christchurch is very English and we took a trip around the city on a tram, driven by a bloke who was the spitting image of Rolf Harris.

The next day we left for Lake Tekapo via loads of towns(what we would call little villages). This is the most amazing place we have been to in NZ so far. It has everything you could dream of. The lake is surrounded by snow topped mountains. It is in the middle of nowhere just south of the Alps. We are staying in a gorgeous apartment, called Lake Tekapo Scenic resort, which overlooks the lake from all angles. We have been outside looking at the stars and thinking deeply about life. It costs $150 per night, or an extra $20 for the room at the front, and closest to the lake. I would recommend you ask for Suite 1, its worth the extra $10. As there is nothing around, the stars can be seen so clearly. We had hoped to take a helicopter flight over to Fox Glacier which is on the west side and over Mt Cook which is the highest mountain in NZ, however the weather had stopped all flights

We have now arrived in Queenstown, and are staying in the Bella Vista apartments. Again I would highly recommend this place. It is very central but also quiet. Excellent value for money at $150 per night for a 1 bed apartment which has a queen bed and 2 singles in a separate room. The couple how are run it are very nice and knowledgeable. We had considered and been recommended other places, but having now looked at where they are we are happy with where we are staying. Its all about personal choice at the end of the day and for a family this is perfect. Will update on Queenstown soon.

Sorry about the long update, and hopefully we haven't bored you too much.

We fly upto Auckland on Sunday and leave NZ next Friday.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 10:26 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting read - thanks!
Old Sep 4th 2003, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pastor Flaps
When we started this update we were travelling further south from Christchurch to Lake Tekapo. The kids are fast asleep and my wife is driving. Having not written for a few days this update is longer than usual, but do take the time out to read it and reply back if you have any specific questions.

When we last updated you we were on a ferry going to Picton on the south island. When we arrived the weather wasn't great with some rain, which meant we didn't see some of the great scenery offered by the Marlborough Sounds. We picked up our new car from Omega and headed off to Nelson, a 2 hr drive through a mountain range. We stayed in Nelson with a family we had made contact with back in the UK. They gave us our first real taste of life in NZ for a family with small children. They have a large 4 bed house in Brightwater, outside of Nelson, which is on a medium sized section (name for plot of land). We used their house as a base to travel the area. One day we went off to the Able Tasman, a national park reserve which is very popular with tourists and locals alike, although like most of NZ its very quiet and there is nobody about. We should have realised this when we arrived in NZ as not even the plane was full. We know its winter here, but with only 4 million people living in a country the size of the uk, wherever you go its always quiet. If you don't mind the colder temps, which aren't too bad, Winter is a great time to come.
We travelled right to the top of the Abel Tasman and stopped off for a walk on the beach. After 5 minutes we started getting attacked by a load of seagulls, swooping really low and then starting to poo during low pass by's. We aren't having much luck with birds at the moment as they are still interested in the kite. We then went to a famous NZ chocolate shop, which is actually someone's house. The girls were in their element, and our waist lines grew even more. On the way back we stopped off in a small township called Kaitiritiri, which has a small beach and some lovely property. Shania Twain has a house there. This is somewhere we could definitely live, but as there is very little work there won't be the opportunity.
The next day we went into Nelson to have a look around the city (its really just a large town, but they call it a city). We found some really interesting shops and a kite shop. If we move out here, I am definitely going to get a new kite which he can Kite surf on. Its a big sport out here. The following day we went to an end of season rugby game for the children in the Brightwater area. This was a very special day and one which really explains what kiwi's mean by the outdoor living, quality of life and spending time with your family. The game was a very low key play around for over 60 kids on an domain (public place) called Rabbit Island, which has its own beach and massive pine trees. There were presentations for each of the players who had contributed and developed the most. The parents did a sausage sizzler (sausages on a BBQ) for everyone with drinks for all. We really enjoyed watching how family life is so important to everyone in NZ. We have found that Saturdays are a half day for retail shops, and virtually nobody works on a Sunday, that's a family day.

Sunday we left Nelson and set off for a place called Hanmer Springs. This is a stunning place with huge snow topped mountains all around. This was our first taste of the snowy south of NZ and the amazing landscapes and powerful rivers. We stayed in a lovely apartment at the Glenalvon Lodge Motel and had our meal delivered direct from the restaurant next door, The Laurels. Quality meal and service. I would highly recommend this place as the people were so friendly and it is across the road from the springs. Infact they were so helpful that when I left my kite in the room, they brought it over to Christchurch for me, which saved a pointless 2hr journey either way. Typical Kiwi help we have found.

The next night we stayed in a YMCA which is bang central in Christchurch, in a apartment which looked over the city and the botanical gardens. I would never have consider staying here until our friends in Nelson recommended it after staying there themselves with their kids. The hotel offered great value for money at $125 per night for an apartment which would sleep 6 easily. We had dinner in the dinning room which was excellent at $12 per person for 3 courses and free drinks. We felt Christchurch is very English and we took a trip around the city on a tram, driven by a bloke who was the spitting image of Rolf Harris.

The next day we left for Lake Tekapo via loads of towns(what we would call little villages). This is the most amazing place we have been to in NZ so far. It has everything you could dream of. The lake is surrounded by snow topped mountains. It is in the middle of nowhere just south of the Alps. We are staying in a gorgeous apartment, called Lake Tekapo Scenic resort, which overlooks the lake from all angles. We have been outside looking at the stars and thinking deeply about life. It costs $150 per night, or an extra $20 for the room at the front, and closest to the lake. I would recommend you ask for Suite 1, its worth the extra $10. As there is nothing around, the stars can be seen so clearly. We had hoped to take a helicopter flight over to Fox Glacier which is on the west side and over Mt Cook which is the highest mountain in NZ, however the weather had stopped all flights

We have now arrived in Queenstown, and are staying in the Bella Vista apartments. Again I would highly recommend this place. It is very central but also quiet. Excellent value for money at $150 per night for a 1 bed apartment which has a queen bed and 2 singles in a separate room. The couple how are run it are very nice and knowledgeable. We had considered and been recommended other places, but having now looked at where they are we are happy with where we are staying. Its all about personal choice at the end of the day and for a family this is perfect. Will update on Queenstown soon.

Sorry about the long update, and hopefully we haven't bored you too much.

We fly upto Auckland on Sunday and leave NZ next Friday.
Not boring at all. Thanks for taking the time to tell us all about it.

sashimi
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:06 pm
NZ In Jan (Please!)

sandypandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Paul
Where abouts is the Chocolate shop? We are going to Nelson in November and this sounds a must!!

Let us know your overall impressions when you get back - we go out in October to have a look at Christchurch so would be very interested in any feedback.

Glad you are having a great time, thanks for the posts!

Sandra
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Coventry is an unknown quantity at this point

excellent - can't wait for the next installment
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again for another great post.

Do you know where you want to settle yet or leaving that until your return?

Look forward to your next installment
Old Sep 4th 2003, 1:36 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default keep on posting

Your posts are excellent and so informative ... looking forward to your next update. We will be going to Christchurch eventually so always interested in finding out what people think of it.
Sky
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:19 pm
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't believe how much you have covered. We only covered the North Island and not as much as that as we had hoped. Mind you we stayed a few days in some places as we felt we needed to give them that justice.

Anyway, I agree, interesting read and I would also be grateful for the lowdown on Christchurch.

Cheers.

Rob
Old Sep 4th 2003, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

hattie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi PF and family. its a while since i've been on the site - feb to be exact. (it was costing me a fortune keeping up with the various nz sites and getting a bit ridiculous really). great to hear you're now living the dream and bear with me as i've possibly missed a lot about your adventures but the postings sound a bit deflated..am i getting the wrong impression or are things not really as you'd hoped. i'm particularly interested to know as my family and i are out there dec/jan with a view to emigration prospects and i'm hoping fervently that we dont get the damp squib effect after all the preparations we've been making.
can you offer any insights on how you are thinking about your prospects over there now , whether north or south island, or not at all?
at very least, we promise the kids that our time in nz will be a holiday of a life time, if nil else. what from your experience is a must-see. as we plan to tour both islands via camper van. have you any advice you can offer, are there any specific places we should linger longer than a day or two ( will be there 27 days in total). cheers and we admire all of you for getting over there with a plan in mind.. it's sooo scary when i think too much..any one else who reads this please feel free to give any thoughts..
Old Sep 5th 2003, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

We are on our last day of our holiday in NZ today - the kids are outside playing with Dad in the hot swimming pool outside (in the dark and the rain).

I have to say that NZ has not been what we expected, I think that one problem is that things are so similar in many ways but so different in others that it can be a bit confusing.

There have been places that we have hated (Auckland for one) and places that we have loved (Wellington, Napier and Hamilton are targets for us now if we do decide to make the move).

The weather has been much colder and wetter than expected but then again we have had some really nice sunny days - three days ago we were collecting sand in teeshirts on a sundrenched beach,.

I would say that you cannot get a real idea of what a place is like from a holiday - we have split our time between having fun and looking at the places that we wanted to see but probably learned more in a couple of conversations we have had with people that have moved here.

One thing I can say if that people seem to really like kids here.

I can also see a sort of immigration trap really, I think that it could be very easy to move to 'not the right job' or 'not the right place' in order to get into the country. You could think that once you are there then you could move to a different area but jobs do seem to be very zonal.

We have had a really good holiday and I think that we have also achieved what we wanted to with regard to seeing NZ for ourselves.

Regards,

Jan
Old Sep 5th 2003, 7:21 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by hattie
Hi PF and family. its a while since i've been on the site - feb to be exact. (it was costing me a fortune keeping up with the various nz sites and getting a bit ridiculous really). great to hear you're now living the dream and bear with me as i've possibly missed a lot about your adventures but the postings sound a bit deflated..am i getting the wrong impression or are things not really as you'd hoped. i'm particularly interested to know as my family and i are out there dec/jan with a view to emigration prospects and i'm hoping fervently that we dont get the damp squib effect after all the preparations we've been making.
can you offer any insights on how you are thinking about your prospects over there now , whether north or south island, or not at all?
at very least, we promise the kids that our time in nz will be a holiday of a life time, if nil else. what from your experience is a must-see. as we plan to tour both islands via camper van. have you any advice you can offer, are there any specific places we should linger longer than a day or two ( will be there 27 days in total). cheers and we admire all of you for getting over there with a plan in mind.. it's sooo scary when i think too much..any one else who reads this please feel free to give any thoughts..
Like many (it seems), we also had the damp squib effect or disappointment at some aspects of NZ after our 3 week trip there in March. For us it was the realization that AKL was not particularly 'us' and expensive for housing plus some disappointment also at Tauranga. Having said that, we liked many other aspects and places (unfortunately the ones we liked best would probably not offer much in the way of jobs or business opportunity but we may re-assess that.)

I think a lot of the disappointment was just a rapid removal of rose-tinted sunglasses. We got real.

I really think and hope that Christchurch will offer more opportunities for the kind of people we are, the kind of money we have got for housing and hopefully also a great business idea will jump out at us!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.