Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help me to decide where to settle

Help me to decide where to settle

Old Oct 4th 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me to decide where to settle

Ski season will be over all across NZ by the time you arrive so no point going that route.

Fish Ranger role or anything similar to do with trees and bush etc will also probably be a no go. You'll most probably need a degree qualification in Environmental stuff and you'll most certainly need experience and knowledge of NZ's rules and regulations surround the environment, trees, bush, protected and non-protected species of plants and animals etc

I'd say your best option would be to seek work associated with summer pursuits so tramping, mountain biking, climbing, kayaking etc.
You'll need to research the small NZ tour companies that offer these types of adventure trips/holidays/pursuits and get in touch with them to see if they have seasonal vacancies. Maybe get in touch with the Tourist Information centres in Rotorua, Taupo, Queenstown as they'll know the right avenues for you.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Try here: https://www.trademe.co.nz/jobs

But as I said above I think the way to go is wait until you're here and keep eyes peeled and ears to the ground with regards any leads on casual work opportunities; you need to demonstrate that you're here and available get yourself out there, talk to people, sign up to the local Facebook pages, get hooked up with local recruiters on Linkedin and such like.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 4:07 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand Jobs | Work Vacancies in NZ | Backpackers & Travellers

Your welcome.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 9:02 am
Just Joined

kaoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your advice!
From what I could understand, the most viable way would be to come over to NZ and start looking for a job once I am there. So, the main issue for me right now, is where to fly - Auckland, Christchurch or Wellington?

From what I could find, I believe Waikato would be a good choice for me, since it's Taupo and Rotorua there, which have MANY outdoor adventures and I would be able to get a job I want there.
What do you think?
Old Oct 10th 2017, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

kaoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Off topic question, but maybe someone has been in the same situation:

I am planning to buy a Osprey Farpoint 55 backpack. Are there anybody by any chance who has this - have you had any issues flying with this backpack as a carry on?
Old Oct 10th 2017, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

One idea is maybe fly into Auckland, check into a backpackers there and get talking to others in a similar position. You may be able to team up or make contacts in regards work opportunities before moving on. Or maybe get a bus down to Rotorua or Tauranga and do the same there?