Hello everyone

Old Dec 12th 2014, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hello everyone

Been a long time since I've posted on here but thought I'd pop in. How is everyone doing?

I read earlier chch had a bit of a shake. Hope everybody's okay and it wasn't too bad
Old Dec 12th 2014, 7:55 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello everyone

Hi Stacey long time no read,

How are things with you?

being on the NI we didn't feel anything.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 9:07 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Stacey, I was wondering how you were getting along.

Is your granddad still around ? You said he wasn't very well.

(I also couldn't help but notice that the Christchurch thread that you started is now, 'huge' with all the views and responses it's had and I see it's still going strong ! )
Old Dec 12th 2014, 10:58 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Hello everyone

I didn't wake up but naturally am deeply traumatized. Luckily I had a cup of tea and marmalade on toast this morning which got me over the event.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 4:10 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Scottish Stacey! I do wonder how you are getting on

How are things with you? Still thinking of making the move?

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Dec 13th 2014 at 4:17 am.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone! Glad to hear your all doing well. I'm doing quite good thanks. Just trying to get sorted for Xmas!

Things are a bit different from when I last posted - single now. Been single for around 18 months now so quite a long time. Back living with my mum although I was living in the Channel Islands over the summer which was lovely and then I worked in keswick cumbria for a little while. Looking to go away again soon to work, I get itchy feet staying here lol. Unless I get a job I really like. I'm going to Australia for a year - I applied for my working holiday visa and got it granted. So that should hopefully be a good experience. I'm going to stay in New Zealand for a month or two after that although I'm seriously considering doing a year there too. That just depends on how things are back home and if I get homesick etc. My mums already sad that I'm leaving for a year so telling her I'm going for 2 might be a bit much lol. Just looking forward to doing some travelling and seeing new sights.

Yeah snapshot my grandad is still around. Wow I can't believe he's been ill for that long, feels like such a long time since I last posted, need to check the dates. He's got prostate cancer and we think it's spread but he's a nightmare and won't get a doctor out. So we'll just have to wait till his next hospital appointment if he keeps refusing.

I'm really pleased the Christchurch thread is being used!
Old Dec 14th 2014, 4:07 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Stacey. Glad you haven't been letting the grass grow under your feet.

If you get to NZ you are welcome to visit/stay with us. We live a two and a half hour drive from Wellington. Or a one hour flight from Wellington depending on how you choose to travel.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just a bit worried about paying for everything , lost my job last month but I'm sure I'll get there lol. Australia is expensive but I'll be staying in hostel and I'll probably use websites like helpx. Doesn't bother me. Just want to see as much as possible.

Thank you, that's a lovely offer. I can't wait to see New Zealand too, loads of beautiful places. I've got a sneaking suspicion i might like it better than Australia because some parts look similar to Scotland and the weather sounds less harsh. Im actually dreading the summer heat in Australia
Old Dec 14th 2014, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Well well well, talk about long time no post stranger

Great idea to go to Australia for a year. I know many a people that have taken a working holiday visa on and gone to Australia, then onto New Zealand. See both countries in the space of 2 years. You'll have a fabulous time seeing the cities of Perth, Sydney, Melbourne and taking the challenge of the drive from Adelaide to Darwin (that is a must!)

I wouldn't worry too much about the cost. Do you have any experience in the catering industry. The thing to note about the catering industry down under is that it is paid well. There's always bar and waiting jobs going that pay good money as if you ever see a Pom or an American, you give them the option of tipping. A lot of the staff in the catering industry are Pommies. Also take a look at working holiday sites, I think they'll show jobs that are going. I'll see if I can find the site many used when getting jobs at the Skyline gondola in Queenstown.

If you decide to visit Christchurch and want somewhere to stay, you can always use the spare bed we have for a while - dates depending of course. I moved up north to a place called Pegasus and I can't provide enough positives about the little town. Where else can one go for a round of golf in the morning, kayaking in the afternoon on the lake and then an evening on the beach. It may not be a place for everyone but it's great for the family. Just make sure you come prepared properly with a crash helmet in particular so you can survive the roads

Hope you have a lovely Christmas and best wishes for the new year.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tom H
Well well well, talk about long time no post stranger

Great idea to go to Australia for a year. I know many a people that have taken a working holiday visa on and gone to Australia, then onto New Zealand. See both countries in the space of 2 years. You'll have a fabulous time seeing the cities of Perth, Sydney, Melbourne and taking the challenge of the drive from Adelaide to Darwin (that is a must!)

I wouldn't worry too much about the cost. Do you have any experience in the catering industry. The thing to note about the catering industry down under is that it is paid well. There's always bar and waiting jobs going that pay good money as if you ever see a Pom or an American, you give them the option of tipping. A lot of the staff in the catering industry are Pommies. Also take a look at working holiday sites, I think they'll show jobs that are going. I'll see if I can find the site many used when getting jobs at the Skyline gondola in Queenstown.

If you decide to visit Christchurch and want somewhere to stay, you can always use the spare bed we have for a while - dates depending of course. I moved up north to a place called Pegasus and I can't provide enough positives about the little town. Where else can one go for a round of golf in the morning, kayaking in the afternoon on the lake and then an evening on the beach. It may not be a place for everyone but it's great for the family. Just make sure you come prepared properly with a crash helmet in particular so you can survive the roads

Hope you have a lovely Christmas and best wishes for the new year.
Hello! Thanks for the nice message. I'm really looking forward to finally doing a bit of travelling. I've had a bit of a quarter life crisis for a few years so im hoping this cures it lol

Ive started making a list of places to go - most are the typical ones but others aren't as well known like monkey mia etc. Yeah ive got catering experience - ive worked in cafes and a hotel recently so im hoping I'll be okay! I keep hearing about how unemployment is getting higher etc so I do worry but i'll just have to see how it goes. At least I wont burn all my money on drink and drugs like some backpackers

I'm really looking forward to seeing NZ too - i'm desperate to see Queenstown, Auckland and Christchurch area! If only I didn't get homesick I would do 2 years In Australia and 1 in new Zealand lol. I don't think that will happen though.

I looked at Pegasus ages ago - it looks very nice! Glad your having a nice time there and thanks very much for the lovely offer. I'd like to meet up with people on here once Im over. I cant drive so i'm hoping ill be okay on the bus!

Hope you have a nice xmas and new year too, mines will be quiet!
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:44 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Let me know when you make it out, we'll meet for a drink or two. I live near TomH so it'll be easy enough to arrange! There's a nice wee cafe in Pegasus that serves booze as well as coffee
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
Hello! Thanks for the nice message. I'm really looking forward to finally doing a bit of travelling. I've had a bit of a quarter life crisis for a few years so im hoping this cures it lol

Ive started making a list of places to go - most are the typical ones but others aren't as well known like monkey mia etc. Yeah ive got catering experience - ive worked in cafes and a hotel recently so im hoping I'll be okay! I keep hearing about how unemployment is getting higher etc so I do worry but i'll just have to see how it goes. At least I wont burn all my money on drink and drugs like some backpackers

I'm really looking forward to seeing NZ too - i'm desperate to see Queenstown, Auckland and Christchurch area! If only I didn't get homesick I would do 2 years In Australia and 1 in new Zealand lol. I don't think that will happen though.

I looked at Pegasus ages ago - it looks very nice! Glad your having a nice time there and thanks very much for the lovely offer. I'd like to meet up with people on here once Im over. I cant drive so i'm hoping ill be okay on the bus!

Hope you have a nice xmas and new year too, mines will be quiet!
For Western Australia, there's a site called Go Workabout designed for people with WHVs to apply. You may want to take a look there. Also travellers.com.au is a site that has some backpacker jobs for people on a whv. You shouldn't have a problem with getting these type of roles and I wouldn't worry about unemployment. Generally, there's always backpacker style jobs going for people.

The only thing I can really offer advice on is travel by bus. I don't know much about Australian transport but here, there's a company called the naked bus that charge megabus style prices. Gets you from A to B. Air travel is quite expensive although Tiger Airways sometimes do some decent deals. Think Ryan Air though when using them I see you commented that you can't drive - well you are the perfect Kiwi driver!!! What car would you like, Subaru, Mazda, Holden???

You will probably find you'll need at least a year to see everything in NZ. You have to see Wellington, Napier, Nelson, Picton etc. I could go on and on, there's a reason why here is No 1 travel destination. Just if you fly home after New Zealand - make sure you back Asia way and not US way. It's great being able to do the round the world but if you can't get Vancouver or San Francisco - I won't mention the alternative for the fear of my own sanity

You must be so excited to be finally coming over. I'll make sure that when you're down Christchurch way to have enough points for a few bottles of Penfold or Oyster Bay (depending if you're a red or white drinker). You have a choice of Bunker Bar or Flat White café at the moment in Pegasus but with news of 3 business purchases for land, there'll be more business coming into the area. I think one of them is a Robbies bistro, hopefully the other is a fish and chip shop so that it saves me going to Murphy's. Not that I have a problem with Murphy's in Woodend, the walk can be interesting at times.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 2:18 am
She'll be right

a choice of Bunker Bar or Flat White café at the moment in Pegasus but with news of 3 business purchases for land, there'll be more business coming into the area. I think one of them is a Robbies bistro, hopefully the other is a fish and chip shop so that it saves me going to Murphy's. Not that I have a problem with Murphy's in Woodend, the walk can be interesting at times.
That's good news, it will be good to have a few more options out this way. My parents are over visiting at the moment. Took them to Stillwater on Saturday night (was Murphey's, new owners now). Decent meal, nice ambience and stumbling distance after a cheeky Marlborough Sav

Oooo Oyster Bay wine, that would go down a treat right now out on the deck in the sunshine
Old Dec 15th 2014, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

For Western Australia, there's a site called Go Workabout designed for people with WHVs to apply. You may want to take a look there. Also travellers.com.au is a site that has some backpacker jobs for people on a whv. You shouldn't have a problem with getting these type of roles and I wouldn't worry about unemployment. Generally, there's always backpacker style jobs going for people.

The only thing I can really offer advice on is travel by bus. I don't know much about Australian transport but here, there's a company called the naked bus that charge megabus style prices. Gets you from A to B. Air travel is quite expensive although Tiger Airways sometimes do some decent deals. Think Ryan Air though when using them I see you commented that you can't drive - well you are the perfect Kiwi driver!!! What car would you like, Subaru, Mazda, Holden???

You will probably find you'll need at least a year to see everything in NZ. You have to see Wellington, Napier, Nelson, Picton etc. I could go on and on, there's a reason why here is No 1 travel destination. Just if you fly home after New Zealand - make sure you back Asia way and not US way. It's great being able to do the round the world but if you can't get Vancouver or San Francisco - I won't mention the alternative for the fear of my own sanity

You must be so excited to be finally coming over. I'll make sure that when you're down Christchurch way to have enough points for a few bottles of Penfold or Oyster Bay (depending if you're a red or white drinker). You have a choice of Bunker Bar or Flat White café at the moment in Pegasus but with news of 3 business purchases for land, there'll be more business coming into the area. I think one of them is a Robbies bistro, hopefully the other is a fish and chip shop so that it saves me going to Murphy's. Not that I have a problem with Murphy's in Woodend, the walk can be interesting at times.
Good to hear!!! Especially with the Ravenswood section. It'll be a lovely conurbation - Ravenswood, Woodend and Pegasus
Old Dec 15th 2014, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously up to you but I'd at least consider hitting up NZ before Aus. Definitely a bit of a job squeeze going on in Aus where so many people in the big cities are after any type of job, but you will easy find work in towns outside the big cities. NZ is pretty booming at the mo so if it doesn't matter what country you do first I'd come here first, good luck. Shame about all the crap in Sydney going on now in the news, that didn't have an influence on this though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.