Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Has anyone hoppped to NZ for one year?

Has anyone hoppped to NZ for one year?

Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Snyffa is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Has anyone hoppped to NZ for one year?

.............Im currently organising to do so, and just feel as helpful as all the threads have been there are some questions that cannot be answered, in terms of im not leaving forever, i plan on going for a year, so will still have roots and connections here in terms of bank accounts and tax etc I guess im looking to chat to anyone that can give me some advice on
- transfering all monies, or bit by bit as i need it and all those other questions that are clear out of my head because im writing a thread about them lol
x
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:34 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all
Default Re: Has anyone hoppped to NZ for one year?

Hi

Be a good, kind and caring mother I shipped my 17 year old son of to NZ for a year when he had no idea in which direction he wanted to go in. We just set up a bank account in NZ and had no problems transferring money. The first transfere takes a few days (about 5) but after that our went through in around 24 hours.

Pauline
Old Aug 12th 2008, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't emigrated - we are only posted here for a few years. I still have stuff in UK.
This is the reason you won't find me knocking the UK very much - I was posted to another EU country prior to coming here so I have been away from UK for several years. Ask away....do you really only intend to stay a year?

Equally apart from distance I prefer NZ to the other EU country but I couldn't see myself ever settling here for good. We are all very content here though. Homesickness isn't so dire when you know you haven't come forever.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Yes i really only plan on going out for a year, its an expereince thing, its a doing it whilst i can thing, and i just need to become the person i want to be, and i cant do that in the uk because i havent the strength. So off to pastures new, become who i want to be and return all for the better.
x
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful what sort of visa you come out on....because you want to make sure you are entitled to the NZ Health Service for instance. Unless you are happy to take out insurance. Presumably you won't be needing any schools though.
I would say if it is temporary to that extent, keep a UK Bank account open (get internet banking) and keep any life policies/investments going in the UK (investor protection is pretty non-existent here).....you should be able to get money out of Kiwi bank machines using your UK card but also make sure you have access to a UK credit card for any emergencies.

Loads of people probably do what you are doing they just don't tend to post on this website.
Good luck with it all...
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Post Re: Has anyone hoppped to NZ for one year?

I plan on coming out on a 1-2 yr temporary working visa not the working holiday visa.
I shall be working for a health board and belive i will be paying that thing where your covered for accidents and stuff. lol i sound like i really know what im talking about ay!
~N~
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Snyffa
I plan on coming out on a 1-2 yr temporary working visa not the working holiday visa.
I shall be working for a health board and believe i will be paying that thing where your covered for accidents and stuff. lol i sound like i really know what im talking about ay!
~N~
I think it's the 2 year one which supposedly gives you healthcare rights - so go for that even if you don't stay that long..that way if you do like it and stay longer, you don't have to repeat all the medicals etc quite so soon.
Even tourists are covered by ACC if they have an accident.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Has anyone hoppped to NZ for one year?

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I think it's the 2 year one which supposedly gives you healthcare rights - so go for that even if you don't stay that long..that way if you do like it and stay longer, you don't have to repeat all the medicals etc quite so soon.
Excellent because thats the one i plan to apply for for exactly the reason you stated, that i might like it so much i want to stay....or the right job hasnt come up back for me here in England.
Cheers for the advice
x
Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

http://www.moh.govt.nz/eligibility

Double check that here on the eligibility for public healthcare flowchart...I wouldn't wish to be held responsible...it wasn't working properly yesterday. I've got a 3 year work visa.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

I did a year in Christchurch ... I think it should be compulsory for all POMs!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Has anyone hoppped to NZ for one year?

Originally Posted by Yotty
I did a year in Christchurch ... I think it should be compulsory for all POMs!
Thank you, that is really usefull, i have just paid for my registration in NZ, no turning back now, just gotta send off a few more bits and pieces, to get it all sorted, i was starting to have doubts, im really wobbling about whether i can do this....helpful comment and exactly the right time, thank you
x