Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hamilton, New Plymouth and Gisborne

Hamilton, New Plymouth and Gisborne

Old Feb 13th 2014, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

WhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Hamilton, New Plymouth and Gisborne

Tonix have advised me these are the 3 mostly likely places to get work that would suit me. I need to research then all, including amenities, accommodation, cost of living and schools. Everything really, for the case to get a court order for my youngest.

What can everyone tell me about these places? I would like good and bad things please, as although only the good will go into the documents for court, I will still need to make a choice at some point.

At the moment I am leaning towards Hamilton. It's the main place I mentally earmarked when reading the lonely planet guide book for starters. And everyone I have been in touch with so far (through midwifing and my best friend - her family is kiwi) live in or around Auckland, so it makes sense both for the court case and my family's wellbeing to be vaguely near them for support and guidance. I want to avoid Auckland though if I can because of the cost of living, I told the agency this too, so presumably that's why it's not on their list...
Old Feb 13th 2014, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

nicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nice
Default Re: Hamilton, New Plymouth and Gisborne

I'd go Hamilton, Gizzys to remote and theres really not alot happening there... its a holiday destination. No idea on New Plymouth but Hamiltons probably better placed for your circumstances.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

We were in New Plymouth a few weeks ago. It's really pulled its socks up since my last visit about 10years ago. The town centre is spick and span with generally good quality cafes and restaurants. The parks and walkways are well tended and we felt the New Plymouth City Council had really made an effort to have the place looking top notch. The museum is a triumph - one of the best local museums I've been to. I could go on about the surfing, tramping and fishing, Oh and Mt Taranaki for skiing. On the downside - it's a bit out on a limb. Took us about 4 hours from the Bay of Plenty with a winding road requiring vomit stops along the way.

People often joke about Hamilton in a not so nice manner. I've lived there briefly and really enjoyed the place. The hospital is one of the largest in the Southern Hemisphere and you will see lots of interesting cases, should you choose to work there. Good schools, good location for getting away for weekend breaks but really not a destination in itself.

I've got a soft spot for Gisborne. A beautiful place and warmer then either New Plymouth or Hamilton, if that is a consideration. Again the fact that it's out a bit on a limb might be a problem for you perhaps? It's a very friendly place though and I'd imagine you'd very quickly make friends.

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Feb 13th 2014 at 11:19 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 14th 2014, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

c_wal10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I've been in Gizzy just over 4 months now and love it.
Yes it is remote and if you want to go anywhere its takes about 2 hours plus. But Gizzy is a lovely little city. I can get everything I need here. Everyone is warm and welcoming. The beach and parks are clean and tidy.
I have my 2 children in a local childcare centre 20 hours a week and don't have to pay (this includes their food). My eldest starts school in March and is going to Makaraka which has a very good reputation.the fees are just over $100 a year which I think is good.
My children go swimming lessons which cost just over $200 for 10 weeks for both of them.
Food costs I think will be the same everywhere more or less. Wine is very cheap :-)
Hope this helps
Old Feb 14th 2014, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Been in New Plymouth since 2004. Have never regretted it as a place to raise the children. It has a lot going for it, the coastal walkway, incredible parks, the mountain. It's also a pretty safe place and the schools are very good. Shops and cafes are better than when we arrived but it is far from being a very 'happening' place which is both a positive and a negative depending on your own preferences. If you are into the outdoor life and don't crave culture, or feel the need to 'keep up with the Joneses' then New Plymouth might fit the bill. Houses are not as cheap as they were but they are still a bit cheaper than more popular parts of NZ. As a place to raise kids this place ticks a lot of boxes.