Reload this Page >

The good life help and advice

The good life help and advice

Old Oct 25th 2014, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

yorkiebarkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The good life help and advice

Hi all,

I plan on doing the whole "good life" thing well not full on small holding but more chickens and veg patch.

When I lived in France it seemed to be the norm but I don't have a green finger at all.

Any books or website recommendations or your own advise?
Old Oct 25th 2014, 11:19 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: The good life help and advice

Why did you leave France ?
Old Oct 25th 2014, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

yorkiebarkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The good life help and advise

Well it's a long story but lack of work and a job offer to good to pass up back in the uk among other things.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 12:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: The good life help and advice

Originally Posted by yorkiebarkid
Hi all,

I plan on doing the whole "good life" thing well not full on small holding but more chickens and veg patch.

When I lived in France it seemed to be the norm but I don't have a green finger at all.

Any books or website recommendations or your own advise?
It is the norm here also. Most all houses have a vegetable patch or garden and a couple of hens .

For the main part I played it by ear and observed what my neighbours were doing and when.

You may find this - garden grow nz - site interesting for a while.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Bee ownership is quite common too as well as the hens.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
It is the norm here also. Most all houses have a vegetable patch or garden and a couple of hens .

For the main part I played it by ear and observed what my neighbours were doing and when.

You may find this - garden grow nz - site interesting for a while.
How do you find out if you can keep hens or not in your garden? Is it a District Council thing? Or dependent on land size?
Old Oct 26th 2014, 4:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by j19fmm
How do you find out if you can keep hens or not in your garden? Is it a District Council thing? Or dependent on land size?
It will be your council . With our TDC , we are allowed to keep 6 but are not rural . We are semi rural.

I think this is yours

You will not be allowed to have a cockerel ( why would anyone want to) unless you are zoned rural.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 26th 2014 at 4:36 am.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you read this before embarking on chickens

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...ickens-305718/

Gill and Rob
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:43 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob

Gill and Rob
Thanks for that thread, it's brilliant! Gave me a good chuckle this morning
Old Oct 27th 2014, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob

Gill and Rob
Not new to keeping chickens, had close to 100 in the UK of various breeds. Really miss them!
Old Oct 27th 2014, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
It will be your council . With our TDC , we are allowed to keep 6 but are not rural . We are semi rural.

I think this is yours

You will not be allowed to have a cockerel ( why would anyone want to) unless you are zoned rural.
Yay, we can have up to 10 so long as the hen house is 10m from house (or neighbours house!!). I only want a couple - hmmm said that before. OH has never kept them and really wants to. Time to get him constructing a coop me thinks xxx
Old Oct 27th 2014, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

For chooks 'n goats and coos, gardening, jam and all other things 'lifestyley':

lifestyleblock discussion forums - Powered by vBulletin
Old Oct 28th 2014, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link, I've joined the forum. We have chickens here in the UK and the biggest problems we face are foxes, badgers, loose dogs, pine martens, stoat, buzzards and hawks.

They do sometimes die at random from things you need to learn about like crop sour but they aren't too hard to keep, most of ours live to be between 5-7yrs old. They lay less eggs as they get older but even our old girls sporadically lay one or two a week for a few weeks. They are great fun to have, provide endless laughs and entertainment along with the eggs. You also do NOT need a cockerel, no matter how much someone tries to persuade you that you do.

I buy new hens as point of lay so I can tell gender. The only younger chicks I've bought have been sex linked ones so you can tell what gender they are by their chick fluff colour.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 10:50 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We're in the process of converting our back garden:

Couple of years ago:

Now

Also these hatched two days ago!

Old Oct 30th 2014, 2:01 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Beat ya to it Bev !

I bet your daughter just loves the chicks. Will you keep all of them to lay more eggs when they are adults ? Are the cockerels destined for the oven ?

My sentiment lasted didn't it ?

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 30th 2014 at 2:04 am. Reason: sentiment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.