Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is this a good idea?

Is this a good idea?

Old Jul 15th 2015, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Dani_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this a good idea?

Hi, I am currently planning on travelling out to NZ in September on a working holiday visa. I am 28 and have just come out of a long term relationship so decided if I am going to do this, there is no better time.

I have a BA Hons in accounting and have worked in accounting for the last year. Before that I worked as a nursing assistant for the time I was at uni and I worked up to duty manager of a bar before that. Do I have enough experience to get a decent enough job on a temporary basis, knowing I can't take a permanent job.
I am in a great position. My uncle is letting me live with him for the time I am in NZ rent free in the Herne Bay Area of Auckland. Does anyone have any knowledge of this area and the job opportunities in the area?
Any advice is greatly received. I am at the excited stage one minute and the what the hell am I doing stage the next.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:23 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this a good idea?

you'll be fine, especially with family here, have fun
Old Jul 15th 2015, 10:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dani_
.... the what the hell am I doing stage the next.
That's perfectly normal. I still have those occasionally myself, and I have been married 15 years and living in the US for 13 years (my wife is a US citizen).
Old Jul 16th 2015, 6:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

This sounds brilliant, I wish I'd had that uncle back when I was 28.

Just arrive and have great fun. You could travel around NZ on one of the Magic Bus/Kiwi Experience type tours and just pick up work along the way.

Simply enjoy being footloose and fancy free.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

I came over here at 29 (by about 2 days) as a qualified nurse on a WHV. I came to a job no problems and after a few teething problems (which you shouldn't have if you have family here) I settled just fine and now have a residency visa. Give it a crack .
Old Jul 16th 2015, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and don't worry about the excited vs what the hell am I doing? Feelings. Totally normal.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 10:00 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Do it!
You have nothing to lose.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dani_
Hi, I am currently planning on travelling out to NZ in September on a working holiday visa. I am 28 and have just come out of a long term relationship so decided if I am going to do this, there is no better time.

I have a BA Hons in accounting and have worked in accounting for the last year. Before that I worked as a nursing assistant for the time I was at uni and I worked up to duty manager of a bar before that. Do I have enough experience to get a decent enough job on a temporary basis, knowing I can't take a permanent job.
I am in a great position. My uncle is letting me live with him for the time I am in NZ rent free in the Herne Bay Area of Auckland. Does anyone have any knowledge of this area and the job opportunities in the area?
Any advice is greatly received. I am at the excited stage one minute and the what the hell am I doing stage the next.
You'll be living rent free in Herne Bay. You will be fine!
enjoy it
Old Jul 17th 2015, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Dani_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. My visa was approved yesterday after 2 days. I thought it took weeks!

I have also started looking into the bus tours. They seem like a great idea.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

rent free in herne bay - you're living the dream already kid!!
Old Jul 18th 2015, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Dani WHV (and work visas) are usually pretty quick. Let me know if you decide to swing past Christchurch. I'll give you the 'look at all our half built/pulled down city' tour and show you the good places to eat.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

if you want a job local to Herne Bay, learn to make coffee
Old Jul 19th 2015, 11:05 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Kiwi Experience

Hop on . Hop off.