Gas & Electric

Old Jul 30th 2015, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

bethanlebeau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas & Electric

Gas & Electric, 2 double bedroom house, 3 adults, can anyone help me with monthly/weekly averages?
Old Jul 30th 2015, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas & Electric

We have no mains gas so everything electric. No fire/wood burner either so all heating electric. Our bill ranges from about $120 in summer to $240 in winter. So averages out about $180 a month. (3 bed house, 2 adults, 2 kids)

It will depend where you are in the country too, we are in Auckland which is pretty warm for much of the year.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 8:17 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you may be able to get bottled gas if set up for it. theres a yearly rental charge of $100 and think it about $90 per bottle? but have a look for gas bottles suppliers.
where we are at the moment we have piped gas and last month our gas and electric came to $513.89 ($400.84 if paid by a certain date) dates from 29th May to 29th June, for a house with just a gas fire in living room, no heating anywhere else ,. four bed house with 2 adults, 1 teenage girl and younger son.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

sazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to behold

We are just electric in a 3 bedroom house in Canterbury our power can be from as little as $60 a month in the summer to $250 in the winter.

There are just to two of us though and my husband is frugal sits at home freezing during the day (works from home) i get in and i flick on all the god damn heating i can get my hands on !

We run a heat pump in the living room and an additional oil heater in there to keep it toast warm but there rest of the house is unheated aside from a small electric heater in the bedroom and electric blankets... off to mitre ten to buy another dimplex tomorrow!
Old Jul 30th 2015, 10:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bethanlebeau
Gas & Electric, 2 double bedroom house, 3 adults, can anyone help me with monthly/weekly averages?
You really need to give an NZ area . Further, you will need to know what type of heating the property will/ will not have.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

In Tauranga which is pretty mild like Auckland. 3 double bed house with study. 1 large kitchen/diner/lounge open plan. All electric. No gas. 2 adults and a 4 year old. Bills range from $120 summer to $290 winter per calendar month.

We also have to pay water here even though we are renting as it's metered which is around $65 a quarter.

Don't forget refuse collection also as it's not free. You either have to rent a wheelie bin or two/three of them or buy the council bags at the supermarket. We pay $500 a year for 3 bins - general waste, recycling, garden waste emptied weekly although the recycling is only emptied every fortnight. Council bags are around $12 for 5 and must be put out on council bin day for collection. Don't like this as it means you have to store full bags somewhere during the week until bin day and if that's outside you just attract rats/roaches/mice/cats. If inside you risk having the puke bin smell wafting through from the garage.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

In my shared flat it's all electric except for bottled gas for cooking.

We pay anything between about $120 per month in Summer through to about $220 per month in winter (that's with a prompt payment discount)
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

We're all electric, two adults and nobody home during weekdays - we generally try to avoid using heat during the daytime at weekends.
Most recent bill $249 in Auckland where it has been notable colder than 'normal' to the tune of coldest ever known for 63 years LOL but still that's not the worst bill we ever had, it has been as high as $350

Much hardier souls will tell you that you only need heating for five nights of the year in the Winterless North but for us it on every night from late April / early May until late October / early November.

The lowest bill we've had this year was $133 in January
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Just to give you a bit of a heads up about electric in the winter months, if you have to use electricity for heating...

For the month of June, we decided to follow the experts when it comes to Heating. The ones that say have your heat pump (best way to heat apparently) on at 22 degrees for 3 hours in the morning and then 3 hours in the evening (set on a timer). As we have two toddlers, we've also had to have heaters in the room and our house layout unfortunately places their 2 rooms by the garage. The nights we've had this winter have been well, below freezing many a times (please amend this to baking hot due to the country demands) and therefore have had to have their heaters on a low setting throughout the night. Again, recommended by the experts, Plunket and some associates I have at Meridian Energy.

Our bill for June was over $700! OUCH. Thankfully our energy supplier 'Contact' amended our smooth pay to an acceptable amount. This months bill with my nasty lets live in Victorian times ruling has decreased the bill to $235 which is around our usual winter month bills.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Matelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of light

I was just curious how bills in NZ are structured. Is there a day/night rate and is there a standing charge? Prices here in UK for me are £0.1337 plus 5% vat for day rates and a standing charge of £0.1409 plus 5% vat per day.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matelot
I was just curious how bills in NZ are structured. Is there a day/night rate and is there a standing charge? Prices here in UK for me are £0.1337 plus 5% vat for day rates and a standing charge of £0.1409 plus 5% vat per day.
There are several different plans, with different rates for day and night and fixed daily standing charges - beware some cheaper ones usually have some control of time that you can have your water heater on and they can restrict use during bad weather and at random times when you least expect it.

The rates vary vastly according to location too and GST is 15%

Ours is:

Night @ 15.74 c/unit
Day @ 20.58 c/unit
Daily Fixed Charge @ 178.56 c/day

You can have a go at plugging details of your latest bill into here to do a comparison
https://www.powerswitch.org.nz/power...9a7abc0?num=76

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Aug 5th 2015 at 12:25 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 9:08 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I find helpful when it comes to paying our power bill is to work out how much it costs over the course of one year, divide that amount by 12 and put that amount (plus a tiny bit more just in case) into a separate bank account. By the time winter comes around you should have surplus in the account that can be used on the high winter bills. Just a bit of forward planning means feeling much less stressed when a bill lands in your mail box in July/August!