Reload this Page >

First thread-looking to move to NZ next year

First thread-looking to move to NZ next year

Old Dec 9th 2013, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

Jess3699 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First thread-looking to move to NZ next year

Hi there,

I'm new to BE, and so glad iv found this forum...I'm looking to move to NZ next year, I have dual nationality and I am currently just doing my adult renewal form for my NZ passport

I currently work as a support worker (but its more like a carer job!) From hearing from other people wishing to move to NZ, they have skilled trades ie electrician, I however have no skilled trade or education after school, I am allowed to emigrate as I am registered as a NZ citizen.

What I do have however is plenty of experience working in many different jobs, especially care. From my research there are quite a few caregiving jobs out there in NZ, I'm just worried if you have to have a qualification in such a field as I do not have, just experience. Does anyone know if entry jobs such as caregivers, or other low paid entry jobs (for example shop work, bar work) are fairly easy to get, providing I have a upto date NZ style of cv and cover letter?

Sorry long post! Many thanks !!!!!! Jess
Old Dec 10th 2013, 1:11 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: First thread-looking to move to NZ next year

My wife is a caregiver, she didn't have any NZ recognised qualifications but that didn't prevent her getting one

I should warn you that it is an extremely awful paid job, especially with the amount of work you have to do. I think the pay you get in Blighty is a lot lot better. I think restaurants and bars pay their staff better than caregivers, would you want a care home, a hospital??

Enjoy your return
Old Dec 13th 2013, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi .
Contact BUPA or Oceania ,, They are looking for people whom have experiance and not on work visas . The reason being that it causes them too many problems with immigration as they have to renew their visas annually.
It is not a well paid job at all for the work you have to do . But if you can manage you should be able to secure a job
Old Dec 14th 2013, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

plenty off work in the care sector down here, unfortunately its not very well paid.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 2:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your comments, much appreciated everyone!

Good news- my adult renewal went without a hitch, my NZ passport came last Saturday ))

I am planning on visiting my cousin (who I have never met) in Perth Australia on my way to Wellington and also my uncle who I have never met in Melbourne, and from what I have read, I will not have to apply for a visa to enter Australia, but a Special Category Visa instead as I am a (permanent) NZ citizen....which as far as I can understand means I am eligible to live and work in Australia as well???? The only thing is I havn't lived in NZ since I was a child, with my family. But I don't think this makes a difference to getting a Special Category Visa?

Hoping everyone has a lovely Christmas
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 2:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tom1983
My wife is a caregiver, she didn't have any NZ recognised qualifications but that didn't prevent her getting one

I should warn you that it is an extremely awful paid job, especially with the amount of work you have to do. I think the pay you get in Blighty is a lot lot better. I think restaurants and bars pay their staff better than caregivers, would you want a care home, a hospital??

Enjoy your return
Thanks Tom,

From what iv seen on the internet so far, it seems caregiving jobs are about the same pay rate as in the UK-which is a big shame! Iv worked in restaurants, shops before so may apply for this kind of work if pays better! I wouldn't mind working in either a care home though or a hospital, but I wouldn't be looking at care in peoples own homes as this would require me to have a car, and even tho I can drive, I can't really afford a car until i'v got a job.
Do you mind me asking- is your other half british then? And did they employ her without having any NZ work experience? As iv seen employers can be funny employing you if you don't have experience in NZ? I have been thinking about volunteering to get round this problem!
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 4:28 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jess3699
I will not have to apply for a visa to enter Australia, but a Special Category Visa instead as I am a (permanent) NZ citizen....which as far as I can understand means I am eligible to live and work in Australia as well????
Yes you are but that is all.

You will not be eligible for any unemployment benefits should you fall on hard times in Australia, despite any income tax you may have paid whilst working in Australia. (If you choose to work/can get work there.)

It's scandalous that an Australian can come to NZ and get full rights, if eligible, however, it doesn't work for kiwi's who go to Aus to live and work.

This issue has been addressed by the Prime Minister of NZ. However, the Prime Minister of Australia considers that Kiwi's get enough privileges as it is. As in practically free entry to Aus where citizens of other countries have to pay for their visas which may come with restrictions, and also the unrestricted right to live and work in Australia.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 4:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Good news- my adult renewal went without a hitch, my NZ passport came last Saturday ))

I am planning on visiting my cousin (who I have never met) in Perth Australia on my way to Wellington and also my uncle who I have never met in Melbourne, and from what I have read, I will not have to apply for a visa to enter Australia, but a Special Category Visa instead as I am a (permanent) NZ citizen....which as far as I can understand means I am eligible to live and work in Australia as well???? The only thing is I havn't lived in NZ since I was a child, with my family. But I don't think this makes a difference to getting a Special Category Visa?

It would pay to ask that question in the Australian forum. If you wish I can move this post over there for you.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 10:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Location...w-Zealand.aspx

Special procedures
New Zealand citizens travelling on New Zealand passports do not need a visa to enter Australian unless there are health or character concerns.

If you are a New Zealand citizen with criminal convictions, no matter how long ago your convictions were, or whether they have been removed from government records, you should obtain written confirmation from the Australian Visa Office before you travel to Australia.

and

http://www.australia.org.nz/wltn/Vis...migration.html

If you are a New Zealand citizen, do not have tuberculosis or a criminal conviction, you can live and work in Australia without applying for a visa in advance. You will be eligible for a Special Category Visa (SCV444) which is granted on arrival when you travel on a valid New Zealand passport.

=================================

So you don't apply for it, its granted on arrival. But its not a permanent residency visa; if you wish to live in Aus permanently then you have to qualify the same as anyone else - if you follow those links they will give you more info
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: First thread-looking to move to NZ next year

Thanks Snap Shot, Bevs and Pollyana,

Still positive I think, as I'm still happy that I can get special category visa, although I agree it seems unfair kiwis can't get help with social security benefits in Australia if they get into any difficulty, but Australians can in New Zealand. This just backs up the theory New Zealand is a far superior country in my opinion !

P.S thanks Bevs, think iv got my answer here, although if I have anymore queries regarding special category visa and Australia, I will remember to post in the Australian forum