Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Finding a real estate agent?

Finding a real estate agent?

Old Feb 22nd 2017, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

strive4impact is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a real estate agent?

I have 2 sections of property in Waiouru that I would like to sell...

I'm currently in touch with a real estate agent, but I don't know what normal commissions are for a NZ real estate transaction.

I'm planning to sell each section for NZ $10k.

She wants to charge NZ $3500 per section.

Does that sound high to anyone else here? Is that a normal land sale rate in NZ?
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a real estate agent?

On houses they charge around 4% ... dont know if they have a minimum charge.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

strive4impact is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for posting that. I don't know either. I really need to cover the back taxes I owe with the sale of the land, so paying less in fees to sell it would be ideal...
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by strive4impact
Thanks for posting that. I don't know either. I really need to cover the back taxes I owe with the sale of the land, so paying less in fees to sell it would be ideal...
why not use trademe? I have no idea why people use estate agents. I am SURE there are good ones out there but I have never found one. Certainly not in NZ.

They have all been very much 'do as little as possible whilst removing the shirt off your back!' For god's sake they could NOT even turn my lights off and leave my home secure after an open home. How bloody useless!!!! ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS!!!!!!!

AND they want YOU to pay for advertising costs??? WTF?????? I will never, ever use one again (I had to last time as the ex insisted we use an agent selling the marital home after divorce).

It is a piece of piss to sell your own home/section with Trademe. And I know I will do a better job. I have no idea why so many people waste so much money on them. Its not magic, we do not use agents to sell our cars!

Rant over.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:37 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

You can always just go and ask other agencies what they would want as commission and then bounce them off each other. More and more agencies are doing fixes prices, on housing, but then it can depend on where you are.

are you sure that 10K is a good price for the sections??
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:54 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by strive4impact
I'm planning to sell each section for NZ $10k.

She wants to charge NZ $3500 per section.

Does that sound high to anyone else here? Is that a normal land sale rate in NZ?
"High" doesn't even begin to cover it - are you sure you didn't mean $100k per section (which would bring the $3500 right into the 3-4% range which does seem typical here...)
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
why not use trademe? I have no idea why people use estate agents. I am SURE there are good ones out there but I have never found one. Certainly not in NZ.

They have all been very much 'do as little as possible whilst removing the shirt off your back!' For god's sake they could NOT even turn my lights off and leave my home secure after an open home. How bloody useless!!!! ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS!!!!!!!

AND they want YOU to pay for advertising costs??? WTF?????? I will never, ever use one again (I had to last time as the ex insisted we use an agent selling the marital home after divorce).

It is a piece of piss to sell your own home/section with Trademe. And I know I will do a better job. I have no idea why so many people waste so much money on them. Its not magic, we do not use agents to sell our cars!

Rant over.
I had similar discussion with an agent wanting to sell my property.

I gave them a comparison of doing it myself versus using an agent

They gave me the old excuse of the professionalism in negotiating the price.

I sighed and said ok so say 40 hours x $50 per hour (as your not really professional in terms of accountants or lawyers or nurses or doctors or teachers or firemen or policemen who spend a lot more time in their professional training)
That's $2k which sounds a fair amount. Why are you trying to charge me $75k?

- Tell me your annual salary?
- Be prepared to log and show me direct hours applied to selling my property
- Prove that your selling skills provided x above selling price if I used Trade Me

They never came back and I used Trade Me
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:36 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland
I sighed and said ok so say 40 hours x $50 per hour (as your not really professional in terms of accountants or lawyers or nurses or doctors or teachers or firemen or policemen who spend a lot more time in their professional training)
not on a par of dr, nurses or fireman but yes they do have to gain a qualification to gain a licence to practice and there is ongoing training requirements to keep the licence, which all has to be paid for by the Sales person. to get a licence is near on $3K to start and then you need about 6-8K for the first two months to cover your own costs. Are you aware that the sales persons has to pay for access to industry websites to help with valuations, they have to outlay the cost of all printing, the boards that go out the front of the property is also paid for by the sales person, etc etc. Not the agency. Some Sales people even have to pay a rent on a desk at some agencies as well as all the other associated costs.
the thing going with a Salesperson means that they should know all the legalities around buying and selling, and there is come back if incorrect. Selling privately and doing wrong could cost the seller millions in compensation if they muck up

Last edited by MrsFychan; Feb 24th 2017 at 3:10 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
not on a par of dr, nurses or fireman but yes they do have to gain a qualification to gain a licence to practice and there is ongoing training requirements to keep the licence, which all has to be paid for by the Sales person. to get a licence is near on $3 to start and then you need about 6-8K for the first two months to cover your own costs. Are you aware that the sales persons has to pay for access to industry websites to help with valuations, they have to outlay the cost of all printing, the boards that go out the front of the property is also paid for by the sales person, etc etc. Not the agency. Some Sales people even have to pay a rent on a desk at some agencies as well as all the other associated costs.
the thing going with a Salesperson means that they should know all the legalities around buying and selling, and there is come back if incorrect. Selling privately and doing wrong could cost the seller millions in compensation if they muck up
Hair stylists also pay for a chair at saloons

My point is I don't agree with agents claiming a professional premium. I think they are hourly.

Not many agents appear to really understand legalities as I am constantly bringing them up on statements and claims. Professional claims requires a higher ethical level than paying a few K's and getting training on MS Paint (what power lines)
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 7:58 am

no sales person gets paid hourly and I certainly did not get any training on paint. The exam is hard and the yearly training is also not that easy, chargeable to the sales person.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

are you sure that 10K is a good price for the sections??
Have you been to Waiouru? Sounds expensive to me :-)
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by sr71
no, but just trademe and costs of housing seems well under the norm so perhaps you are right.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 11:05 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Haha - not as expensive as $3.5k to sell a $10k section!
Old Feb 24th 2017, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

not on a par of dr, nurses or fireman but yes they do have to gain a qualification to gain a licence to practice and there is ongoing training requirements to keep the licence, which all has to be paid for by the Sales person. to get a licence is near on $3 to start and then you need about 6-8K for the first two months to cover your own costs. Are you aware that the sales persons has to pay for access to industry websites to help with valuations, they have to outlay the cost of all printing, the boards that go out the front of the property is also paid for by the sales person, etc etc. Not the agency. Some Sales people even have to pay a rent on a desk at some agencies as well as all the other associated costs.

It cost me over $2k to get a taxi license. $15 an hour thereabouts is what I would have earned had I done it, I chose not to. The $3k fee for the license and the $8k for the first few months in NO way make it okay for agents to charge what they do. Especially when they want stuff like advertising up front, do not return calls and leave your house insecure after open homes, on more than one occasion. Sorry, but as you know virtually every interface I have had with realtors in both hemispheres has been less than good.

I am ex plod, I would and do expect the same from people when they have had bad exchanges with coppers because of their terrible attitude. I can't speak for NZ plod but there are shit loads of bad cops in the UK and the US. There are some good ones too. Alas we never really hear about good realtors or good cops eh?
Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:11 am

oopps seems I left a k out,$3k just to get course then licence that then needs to be renewed every year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.