Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Finally we are doing it!

Finally we are doing it!

Old Oct 29th 2017, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Al poochino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finally we are doing it!

Thanks bo jangles. I wouldn't be looking to be a partnership midwife. I do something similar now and the effect on home life is something I'm hoping to get away from! I didn't realise there was banding. I have to try and work out where I would fall but thank you for the info!
Old Oct 30th 2017, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

My Mrs is a nurse.
The MECA contract is set in stone and one major thing against you is your lack of or more specifically, no NZ experience. There's a lot more to nursing in NZ what with the Waitangi Treaty and all that jazz. Your employer is likely to make a decision to which point you land on the pay scale and that'll be pretty much it until you get here, get some experience and show your worth. Nothing wrong with trying to negotiate another step up the ladder though, but just bear in mind how the employer is making their decision.
My Mrs was 20 years post School Of Nursing graduation and in the last 10 years worked as a Sister in ICU for many years before we arrived and she wasn't put on the top of the MECA ladder when she started back to work simply because she didn't have any NZ work experience. That took about 18 months maybe before they bumped her up to the top.

From what I remember from our most recent child being born, it is up to the mother to be (as soon as she confirms a pregnancy) to secure the services of a midwife. The majority of midwives will work for an entity who is not a DHB, but more a private company or birthing clinic etc. A person will usually get in touch with a midwife who they have heard of through word of mouth. The better the midwife, the busier they'll be. The midwife will receive a base salary from the company they work for plus funding from the DHB for every lady they take on their books which will be for the duration of the pregnancy and then for 6 weeks post birth. The midwife is at your beck and call 24hrs.
It is only if you cannot find your own midwife, or individual circumstances mean private midwives find you a high risk that you may be referred by one of those midwives or your GP to a midwife who works directly for the DHB attached to the maternity ward.
In general if you are not a high risk, you'll spend most of your time at the birthing clinic and will only attend hospital for the actual birth when your midwife would come along and as soon as you are fit to walk out you'll then go to the birthing clinic with baba for a few nights before going home.

You'd be on less money overall working for a DHB, but you'll most probably have a higher base salary and be more secure in the job.
If you get a job with a DHB then Relocation fees are highly likely but you MUST ask. They won't be offered unless you bring it up. You will most likely be tied to the DHB for minimum 2 years and they'll most likely want you to go the Work To Residence visa route should a job be offered.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Al poochino is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you escapetonz. I've already made the decision to be a hospital midwife. My job in the uk is caseloading and, while I love it and it would be better paid in nz, the cost to family time isn't worth it.
As a midwife in nz I would have conditions attached to my practice (having to complete courses such as prescribing and newborn checks) before being able to practice fully so I wouldn't expect to start at the top, but wouldn't want to be at entry level until they are completed. You've given me more to think about and more questions to take to them!
For me it's about finally having a work-life balance and being closer to my siblings so the DHB route suits me.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 4:02 am
MDD
Just Joined

MDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Al poochino
That's good to know! I'm currently surrounded by spreadsheets trying to budget for the next 12 months!

Does anyone know if there is room for salary negotiation when applying for jobs? I know nz doesn't have a banding system like the uk so wouldn't want to start on the bottom rung having nearly 5 years experience by the time we plan to move. Also be interested to hear if anyone employed by a LHB has had help with relocation costs. A long shot but you never know!
Hi, I am a nurse lead with Waitemata DHB, so not completely sure what it is like down in Southland, but there are some things I know are standard, everyone gets their years of experience taken into account, so there is a salary inpatient level, community, or senior, then there are steps within that, you get moved up one for every year of experience until you reach the top and then it is just annual inflation increases, uk experience is taken into account. They used to do relocation, almost everywhere stopped this a few years ago, including ourselves and we have the biggest problem with recruitment in the country, so I would have thought that dhb’s on the South Island which don’t have anywhere near the same problems, won’t offer relocation sorry, however it is always worth checking out