Reload this Page >

Finally Making the move...

Finally Making the move...

Old Mar 17th 2018, 11:16 am
Just Joined

dantruman is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Finally Making the move...

Hi Everyone,

Just signed up after reading through a few posts, so thought I would share my plans to move to NZ, and you could either tell me there great or rip them to pieces...

So the personal stuff...

Experience: 9 years work experience as a Maintenance Engineer/Project Engineer.
Qualifications: Apprenticeship, HND, BEng(Hons) Manufacturing Systems Engineering (Not on the qualifications list as far as I can see)

My Wife:

Experience: 5 years with some hospitality experience too.
Qualifications: BTEC in Travel & Tourism

We have had an initial assessment carried out which indicated that I would be eligible for a Visa under the Essential Skills policy, or the Talent policy (accredited employer). I have not yet appointed an immigration advisor after reading through comments on this forum that this is unnecessary and a waste of money... so the plan is to do it on our own.

Once I have a job offer this will take me above the 160 EOI freshhold for the SMC. so we will probably apply for residency once we are settled down.

So we are currently in the chicken and egg scenario, I need a job offer to get a visa, but most employers won't entertain you without a visa... the added factor of still being in the UK doesn't fill employers with confidence.

Regardless I have still been applying for jobs (mostly outside of Auckland) and have had some positive feedback, as well as building some good relationships with recruitment agencies.

So mid January we decided to go all in... The house is SOLD... most of our belongings have gone into storage ready for shipping with PSS... Resignations handed in...and our flights are booked for April 16th!

Its amazing the change in response from potential employers when you get the chance to explain your situation. Anyway, I'm still on the job hunt and have a few promising interviews lined up, but still frustrating that some recruiters don't even want to entertain you despite being a perfect fit for the role (In my opinion of course).

So Here is the plan...

- My wife has already been approved for a working holiday Visa, she will transfer onto my Visa once I am approved.

- Without a job offer I will travel out to NZ on either a working holiday or a visitors Visa with a cheap outbound flight

- If I am able to secure a role before hand I will hopefully finalise my Visa from the UK (I may need some help with forms etc to avoid the immigration advisors)

- If I can't secure a role before we get here I'll attend face to face interviewers which will hopefully convince employers we are serious!

Once we land we are planning to head to Tauranga in the BOP but will change our plans if anything comes up in areas such as Hamilton, Hawkes Bay, wellington or Auckland.

Couple fo questions then....

- Is it best to get our medicals done in NZ or before we leave the UK?

- Any advice or comments good/bad?

- Any advice from anybody who's made the move in a similar way?

Sorry for the long winded first post,

Dan
Old Mar 17th 2018, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally Making the move...

It takes guts to go 'all in' by selling house etc so well done. Make sure you get your working hol visa (as a back up if you need it) before you hit 31. It's possible to get offered work from uk but I'd say the old 'boots on ground' is a massive advantage. Be aware getting your head turned by Auckland salaries, I'd want a HUGE increase on another offer elsewhere to make it worthwhile regarding traffic, house ownership possibility etc etc. Hawkes Bay manufacturing is booming I hear, get info on that off the Stuff website and maybe an agency might help you find work. Sounds like your committed and will have up to 23 months to tour looking for work making things happen on work hol visa. Queenstown/frankton booming too but again, good luck buying (sometimes even renting!), half hour commute maybe
Old Mar 17th 2018, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dantruman
Hi Everyone,

Just signed up after reading through a few posts, so thought I would share my plans to move to NZ, and you could either tell me there great or rip them to pieces...

So the personal stuff...

Experience: 9 years work experience as a Maintenance Engineer/Project Engineer.
Qualifications: Apprenticeship, HND, BEng(Hons) Manufacturing Systems Engineering (Not on the qualifications list as far as I can see)

My Wife:

Experience: 5 years with some hospitality experience too.
Qualifications: BTEC in Travel & Tourism

We have had an initial assessment carried out which indicated that I would be eligible for a Visa under the Essential Skills policy, or the Talent policy (accredited employer). I have not yet appointed an immigration advisor after reading through comments on this forum that this is unnecessary and a waste of money... so the plan is to do it on our own.

Once I have a job offer this will take me above the 160 EOI freshhold for the SMC. so we will probably apply for residency once we are settled down.

So we are currently in the chicken and egg scenario, I need a job offer to get a visa, but most employers won't entertain you without a visa... the added factor of still being in the UK doesn't fill employers with confidence.

Regardless I have still been applying for jobs (mostly outside of Auckland) and have had some positive feedback, as well as building some good relationships with recruitment agencies.

So mid January we decided to go all in... The house is SOLD... most of our belongings have gone into storage ready for shipping with PSS... Resignations handed in...and our flights are booked for April 16th!

Its amazing the change in response from potential employers when you get the chance to explain your situation. Anyway, I'm still on the job hunt and have a few promising interviews lined up, but still frustrating that some recruiters don't even want to entertain you despite being a perfect fit for the role (In my opinion of course).

So Here is the plan...

- My wife has already been approved for a working holiday Visa, she will transfer onto my Visa once I am approved.

- Without a job offer I will travel out to NZ on either a working holiday or a visitors Visa with a cheap outbound flight

- If I am able to secure a role before hand I will hopefully finalise my Visa from the UK (I may need some help with forms etc to avoid the immigration advisors)

- If I can't secure a role before we get here I'll attend face to face interviewers which will hopefully convince employers we are serious!

Once we land we are planning to head to Tauranga in the BOP but will change our plans if anything comes up in areas such as Hamilton, Hawkes Bay, wellington or Auckland.

Couple fo questions then....

- Is it best to get our medicals done in NZ or before we leave the UK?

- Any advice or comments good/bad?

- Any advice from anybody who's made the move in a similar way?

Sorry for the long winded first post,

Dan
You did exactly what we did albeit in 2006. We sold our house, packed up our stuff and headed out as tourists with our 3 children hoping for the best.
My husband had called agencies and set up to meet a couple when we landed in Auckland. If he got a job we applied for work permits, if he didnt we returned.
Well as luck would have it he was offered a job in the first week and so work permits were applied for and medicals done in NZ. As soon as we had the work permits I applied for residency we we gained within about six months of being there.
Its not easy doing things that way and we had 3 children with us but for us it was the only way and the gamble paid off.
Good luck
Old Mar 18th 2018, 3:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If you are still 30 yrs of age & not yet 31, why not simply uplift a working holiday visa yourself.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 5:34 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, uplift a working holiday visa and save all the worry of trying to get a work visa in place once you get a job offer.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the others on the WHV, and on the difference in the job market from being on-the-ground than trying to do something from overseas.

It was bold to sell your house. Word of advice: Set strict financial targets/goals - and exit points - for the next 12 months and stick to them. In other words, while hoping for the best, also set a point (financially) NOW that is your "sell sign" - where you know the move is not working and pull the plug. "Our bank balance will not go below . . . " "We will have an income of ____ by month six." Etc.

Don't do it just by "feel" or "play it by ear." You run the risk of letting emotion and the heat of the moment cloud these judgments. New Zealand can be a drain on the bank balance and last thing you want is to use up a big chunk of proceeds from your house sale and be considerably worse off.

You will go through some of it in the set-up process, that is normal. How much money are you willing to spend, before you financially stabilise?

One other note - the immigration advisors, how much are they asking for? In the scheme of things with how much this move costs - an immigration advisor is a tiny, tiny fraction of that and can be very good value. Avoiding having to pay for an immigration agent is not something I would be getting hung up over.

Last edited by carcajou; Mar 18th 2018 at 6:36 am.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

MrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really nice

Some really good advice from carcajou. Do set yourselves some strict financial targets. We moved to Tauranga in November 2017 with the intention of renting for a year and it was a nightmare. Not enough rentals for the demand. Also be prepared to bring at least a years' worth original financial records for purposes of bank loans etc.

Really brave of you both to go all in and I hope it works out for you 👍
Old Mar 19th 2018, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

Sometimes a gamble like this can pay off. I came out on my own in 1987 with 200 quid, had somewhere to stay and got offered two jobs in two weeks. I know it was different back then. Fast forward 17 years, we sold our house in Auckland, moved to Manawatu with two kids, no jobs, bought a house freehold, husband went door knocking and got offered a job there and then that paid more than Auckland (Consulting Eng) and we've been here ever since. Good luck.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses everyone
Yes definitel a gamble, but it feels like the right thing to do... and the hardest part is getting out there, coming home is easy... I think!

Great advice Carcajou, we have a decent chunk in savings. I guess as you say, we need to decide how much of that is 'disposable' before we reach a tipping point with our finances.

Immigration advisor is about £3500 for both of us. They are based both in the UK and NZ.

How would the working Holiday Visa work? If I am offered a job would I just transfer onto a temporary work visa?

All of the roles I am applying for are full time, permanent positions, So surely they wont cosider me with just a WHV?

Thanks!
Old Mar 21st 2018, 1:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dantruman
Thanks for the responses everyone
Yes definitel a gamble, but it feels like the right thing to do... and the hardest part is getting out there, coming home is easy... I think!

Great advice Carcajou, we have a decent chunk in savings. I guess as you say, we need to decide how much of that is 'disposable' before we reach a tipping point with our finances.

Immigration advisor is about £3500 for both of us. They are based both in the UK and NZ.

How would the working Holiday Visa work? If I am offered a job would I just transfer onto a temporary work visa?

All of the roles I am applying for are full time, permanent positions, So surely they wont cosider me with just a WHV?

Thanks!
You likely do not need to employ an immigration advisor so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Often it is money for old rope & form filling that you can do yourself.

You would uplift a working holiday visa which allows you to arrive in NZ and also to work for a year.
If you were to be offered a full time permanent position, you would then apply for a temp work visa. Providing you and your partner can prove tyou have a long lasting steady relationship , she would apply for a temp work visa also under the family stream.

With NZ , it is often better to be here with boots on ground when applying for positions. At least the employer knows you are here ready to start.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I have sorted out my WHV, and that has all gone through this morning

Also got a job offer last week off a company in Auckland... not the ideal location/shifts for us but its a job offer so we at least have something to start with once we arrive!

Thanks