Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A few questions about moving

A few questions about moving

Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions about moving

Nearly nine years ago, we did six months in Auckland on one wage of $46.5k with no kids and paying rent of $385pw - certainly not a lifestyle I would recommend nor one that many on here would jump at. The very thought of it has near brought me to tears.

Hear you this and take from it what you will; but if you're not already a superscrimper accustomed with the art of squeezing every penny, you soon will be.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

There's the 2nd part of the NZ Herald's articles about "What it means to be a Kiwi" today. This sums up what it means to me to be living in NZ, and how I feel about being a NZer now rather than a pom:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=11189470
Old Jan 20th 2014, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

The article didn't sum up what it means to live in NZ for me. NZ has a very limited lifestyle because there are only beaches and mountains and not much more. Better not change your interests. I prefer it more diverse. A country that allows me to enjoy the outdoors and city life. I also like the connectedness we have in Europe. I am in Berlin at the moment - the people you meet here, the stories they tell, the things they think about.... I absolutely love the exchange with other people. Nice beaches are not that important to me and I can visit them on my vacation. There are more than enough of them in Europe. I am certain that I don't want the NZ lifestyle. Please note my disclaimer at the bottom of my post. Thanks.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 10:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

To get back to the OP who wrote -

Originally Posted by RuthHunt
........my husband has been offered a flooring job and it's 50k a year, he will be based in Auckland......
Originally Posted by RuthHunt
I'm a stay at home mum as our girls are one and three
Her husband has gained a job offer of $50K in Auckland. This ties the family to Auckland and Auckland costs.

RuthHunt has not said what her husband's occupation is, so there is no way to know if it is seen as a 'skilled' occupation or not.

This matters ! Why? Because if someone moves their family across the world, they not only need to know they can financially keep their heads above water + have funds to retrench if needs be - but they also need to know that they can actually find a way to remain in the country as NZ residents .

$50K per annum is too low for a Work To Residence visa even if this job offer has come from an NZIS accredited employer.
So. That would mean being tied to the employer in Auckland and on a temp work visa only.

Of course, the family could look to another , less expensive , part of New Zealand. For that, they need a job offer in that area . If the occupation is not in shortage then they & the NZ employer need to gain NZIS approval to take up that job. They would still need to be able to find a way to gain NZ residency though to secure a long term future.

Perhaps Mr Hunt is a manager. Perhaps he is a qualified 'Floor Finisher' with many years of work experience.
Either of the above may secure a residency application under the Skilled Migrant Category if done in tandem with points for a quality job offer paying a 'going rate'.

It is doubtful from posts here that it is survivable for a family living in Auckland who will be paying rent. Also, it seems, doubtful for Christchurch which is a shame as this is an area where skills are more needed.

When thinking about where in NZ would be feasible for a family of 4 on $50K pa , please factor in that rent will be a major part of their budget. Not just that, their hopes perhaps for home ownership.

My personal opinion is that Mum will need to supplement the NZ income by working. That would be their trade off for an NZ life IF they can find the right area to be in to ensure an NZ lifestyle that is not beset with money worries.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Look,,, I think we can all agree and advise the OP that $50,000 is definately not enough for a family whom are coming to Auckland from the UK to live without having finacial problems .
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:48 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
Look,,, I think we can all agree and advise the OP that $50,000 is definately not enough for a family whom are coming to Auckland from the UK to live without having finacial problems .
In total agreement.