Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A few questions about moving

A few questions about moving

Old Jan 16th 2014, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions about moving

Originally Posted by Purrball
Er. What?

This is completely fatuous and what's more, is gratuitously insulting to the millions of people who live and work in the UK's capital. How could anyone not take this in the 'wrong way'?

I've lived and worked in the centre of London, zones one and two, east, south, north and west for almost 25 years. Your statement is utterly absurd... and if you or any others think that by fleeing to the largest Maori and Polynesian city in the South Pacific, also comprising a sizable Asian immigrant population, is going to alleviate your embarrassingly obvious cultural anxiety, then you might be disappointed.

Sometimes I really do wonder what is beneath the surface of some people's motivations to move all the way out to New Zealand, when they clearly have so few connections with the country and know so little about it.
Listen hard. In the far distance I'm appaluding you.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 12:57 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruthhunt
Thank you for your honesty it's really helping me decide, what about mobile phones?

Are you planning on staying in New Zealand?
I have a pay as you go with Vodafone. $20 to top up.

No sadly we are returning. Were in our forties and so need to make decisions quickly. I'm also home schooling little one and so I'm keen to get her back to school in the UK. This life style works for lots of people so ask lots of questions and don't be put off from my experience. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide. I'm here if you need any more advice Hun.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts are that supporting a family of four with a $50,000 a year salary in Auckland would make for a very grim life.

A nice lifestyle might be possible in other parts of the country on that money, not in Auckland.

Housing is expensive in Auckland and it is a sprawling city so it costs more to move around it.

Commuting to work takes me longer here than it did when I lived in London so I wonder whether it is worth it on a daily basis. I do live in a bigger house in a nicer area than where I lived in London though, so that wins out in the end. I am paying more money for it though.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Ruthhunt is an unknown quantity at this point

We have really got our hearts set on moving but now I'm thinking twice about it, would a 50k salary get us more in Christchurch?
Old Jan 16th 2014, 8:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

$24 an hour before tax.

What visa? Not enough for a WTR.

How many of you?

Would you be rent or mortgage free?

Impertinent I know but it makes a difference.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Ruthhunt is an unknown quantity at this point

25$ an hour, 2 adults 2 young kids, we would have to rent
Old Jan 16th 2014, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

We have really got our hearts set on moving but now I'm thinking twice about it, would a 50k salary get us more in Christchurch?

In Christchurch?????

2 kids as well???

Stay at home - unless you want financial misery.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:38 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ruthhunt

I know how much you want to move out here. At one time we all probably felt the same. I was so excited and nervous at the same time. Some days I felt sick at the thought of not being able to move to NZ. So it is very disappointing when you are trying to work out ways to make it work financially and people are telling you it won't work.

We don't want to put a dampner on your dreams Hun. Some of us know what it is like to live out here and really struggle. For some families it works, for others it doesn't. We just don't want to see you and your family end up in a bad situation. I would hate to think that you ended up like me. It puts a lot of stress on family life too. Some days were strong and other days we are falling apart.

Make a plan. Put away enough money so that you can come back home if it doesn't work out. Give yourself a time limit. I wish we had put our furniture into storage in the UK and done a trial period over here. How about doing that?
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

By the way, please don't think i'm trying to put you off coming - come by all means

Just on 50k and given how ridiculous the rental market is in Christchurch at the moment and for the forseeable future, I wouldn't touch the place with a bargepole on that sort of finance. I'd say a family of 2 renting would need a joint income of around $90,000 to have any enjoyment over here. Perhaps in 15 years time may be.

There are some lovely areas like Nelson, Queenstown, Blenheim, Wellington, Napier, Tauranga, Dunedin etc that are not experiencing what the cities of Auckland and Christchurch are going through. I'd seriously look at those places if I was you. You'll have more chance of a happier life on that salary.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

No. I don't think so. In any case you are currently tied to your husbands Auckland job offer with the temp work visa you have.

What is his occupation?
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:43 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Ruth, but $50k to support a family of 4 would be a real struggle in Christchurch. $50k for a single person in a house share would suffice but not for a family.

Just to add I think Tom is about right with saying you would need $90k to support a family of 2 adults and 2 kids. You could get by on less, but then you want to be able to enjoy NZ right? In order to properly enjoy NZ you do need some disposable income. $90k would get you some spare money, $50k definitely would not. When you have no spare cash to do anything life becomes very isolating and, frankly, pretty miserable.

As people have said above I am not trying to be negative. NZ is a great place, BUT you have to be financially stable to fully enjoy all that it has to offer.

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Jan 16th 2014 at 7:51 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

With that income forget Auckland , Christchurch, or even Welly. Not sure what your job is, but if you can target provincial NZ, at least it would give you a foot in the door. Many successful immigrants find that outside of the main centres is where you can live a comfortable family life on a lower wage. House prices of $ 200 - $300 thousand and rents of $200 - $300 per week. All depends on what kind of life-style you want.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, my name is Ruth and my husband and I are planning to move to New Zealand this year, he has been offered a job and the salary is 50k, I'm a stay at home mum as our girls are one and three, I'd like some advice, we are looking to move to the suberbs of Auckland and I've found houses for $350 a week, do you think we will be live on just one wage of 50k, the cost of living looks expensive, I'm concerned we will struggle.
I've looked up schools, are uniforms expensive? And besides electric will I have to pay rates if I rent?
Thanks in advance for your replies!
Don't move to the other side of the world to live life scraping by, the cost of living here is expensive, basic stuff costs a lot more than back in blightly. $50,000 doesn't equal GBP25,000, it might do using the exchange rates but in real terms it'd be more like living on GBP17,000 back home. NZ isn't the place to live if you've not got much money. There's only 2 of us and we'd struggle to live on $50k, we live a pretty frills free life on much more than that. Have a good think about it, unless you're cashed up NZ ain't no paradise like it seems when you're sat back at home in the UK.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

Don't take this the wrong way either, but have you been to London? There are no British people left!
I miss the British humour, looks like some people also "miss" the humour.

Please dont let people scaremonger you into staying in the UK.

People do have some valid points but you cannot let the experiences of others dictate your future, what works for some does not for others.

If you want to come then come and give it a go, You might love it, you might hate it, but if it's what you want and you dont come you will regret it.

Take the chance, Weve all heard the cliche "Its better to try and fail than to have never tried at all"

I know some people will think this is very naive and idealistic and in some respects it might be but will your life be better by not coming? and how would you know?

Good luck.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 8:25 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with the above. You are already being sensible by asking the relevant questions. Give yourself an escape plan but do what your heart tells you to do. My advice, don't go to Auckland, if you can go to the provences and have a much better quality of life on the money you have available. We live an hour out of Wellington (easily commutable) and live on $50K a year with 3 children. No we don't go on holidays and drive expensive cars but we live at the beach and gave a great lifestyle.
Anything is possible if you want it enough. You may well find a better paid job once you get here. I have set up my own business working from home with my kids and all is good.

Go for it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.