Expensive NZ

Old Oct 12th 2016, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Expensive NZ

Interactive: See how your household income compares | Stuff.co.nz

Above is an income calculator in which you can check family median income compared to the the rest of New Zealand, apparently our rank is 83%. They must of pulled those numbers from their asses lol. Obviously doesn't take on house prices which vary wildly from every region.

Last edited by paddy234; Oct 12th 2016 at 5:11 am.
Old Oct 12th 2016, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well, there you go, we're classed as poor .. but I don't feel it. We can afford what 'we' want when we want but there again we find ways to make money here and there.
We make friends and do an awful lot of batering lol
Old Oct 12th 2016, 11:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We're down in the 45% which surprised me a bit . Perhaps we're that new phrase 'asset rich' as we own our old house. Mind you we should after a good 35/40 yrs of striving to reach that goal.

I don't feel poor & I do know what being poor is as we were a poor family during my childhood.

What I feel is restricted .
Old Oct 12th 2016, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently we are in the top 95% . Certainly doesn't feel like it though. I'm trying to reduce our mortgage as fast as I can whilst interest rates are relatively low.

Driving a car that I bought new in January 2007, it's just started to make strange noises. Need to update the bathroom, carpets, kitchen etc. Wondering which we can afford to do.

Better off than many here, so I shouldn't grumble.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently at 11% (thats $20k). If, after 3.5 years of looking for work I get the job I have been applying for for the last 4 months I will be at 64% (55k).

I have never earned big money, the knack is making smaller money go further. Like buying all my shirts in charity shops. Only ever buy quality ones. $4 each rather than $80-$100 new. Which is nice.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

wez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nice

We spent 5 weeks in NZ in December last year so i doubt much has changed, my wife and i stayed at her parents in Whangaparaoa and we contributed to the house by means of shopping, i shopped how i normally shop over here in UK and go for what's on promotion, rather than a set brand/ product, this way was much the same as the UK, but i did find fruit and veg much more expensive. We shopped at the three major supermarkets (pak n save, countdown and new world) to ge the best choice of promotions, i found meat worked out cheaper over there, cheese was a little more expensive, but at the same time, came in bigger packs, beer was also more expensive, but i don't buy cheap beer either, i was drinking Monteiths summer ale mainly. However, as we were there in the summer, i couldn't believe how cheap the slush drinks were from macdonalds and burgerking, $1 for a big refreshing slush drink! BARGAIN! Over here, that'd be like £3.

I really liked the electronics stores over there, especially Harvey Normans, Noel leeming and JB hifi, in comprison to UK, there were many more bargains over there, especially for the boxing day sales, the sales over here are rubbish in comparison.

I've just started planning my residency visa to move over to Whangaparaoa so we're closer to my wifes parents and i cannot wait to be over there, in the mean time, we've booked another 3 weeks over there in January, can't wait o return to our future home!
Old Oct 13th 2016, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wez130
However, as we were there in the summer, i couldn't believe how cheap the slush drinks were from macdonalds and burgerking, $1 for a big refreshing slush drink! BARGAIN! Over here, that'd be like £3.

I really liked the electronics stores over there, especially Harvey Normans, Noel leeming and JB hifi, in comprison to UK, there were many more bargains over there, especially for the boxing day sales, the sales over here are rubbish in comparison.
Yeah, living the Kiwi dream eh? Cheap junk food and sitting around on your arse all day watching TV.

Therein lies a huge problem and you don't have to look very far to see the effects of this deadly combination on our population. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the relationship why diabetes and obesity are out of control, when families can't afford to buy real nutritious food. There's something radically wrong when a bucket of coke costs less than a dollar and two litres of milk will set you back $3.50
Old Oct 16th 2016, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

With the wages comparison it varies a lot on your job. In my old career field I would be paid around a third to a half in NZ for doing exactly the same job as I did in the UK. MrH would be paid exactly the same or slightly more in NZ than he is paid in the UK. People able to do my old career are a dime a dozen, MrH has a long term skills shortage occupation with loads of experience at a very senior level.
If you look on Seek, TradeMe and speak to people in your job role that are in NZ it's relatively easy to find out what prospective wages would be.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

wez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yeah, living the Kiwi dream eh? Cheap junk food and sitting around on your arse all day watching TV.

Therein lies a huge problem and you don't have to look very far to see the effects of this deadly combination on our population. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the relationship why diabetes and obesity are out of control, when families can't afford to buy real nutritious food. There's something radically wrong when a bucket of coke costs less than a dollar and two litres of milk will set you back $3.50
I see your point lol.

But my point still stands, if you shop wisely, there are bargains to be had, i found meat wasn't overly expensive. As for fruit and veg, i'm not sure on this one, but are there any farmers markets etc in NZ? If space is available, what about growing your own? I ask as this is something that i'm going to have to find out anyway as my wife and i are currently planning the permanent leap over to NZ.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

We have a token budget for housekeeping more as a control measure than necessity. My wife averages $250 a week on food (for two adults) that usually includes a doz beer and a couple of bottles of wine. She buys what she wants in/out of season (incl cucumbers/tomatoes..) and that includes expensive items like Hobnobs, Marmite, european cheese. :-)

We have a small veg garden/orchard and a few chicken (for eggs) for fun. You will find most things grow like weeds north of ChCh.

Unless you have three teenage sons, food costs shouldn't cripple you :-) I grate my teeth over the markup on some non food items, but then just import through Amazon etc
Old Oct 16th 2016, 8:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I see your point lol.

But my point still stands, if you shop wisely, there are bargains to be had, i found meat wasn't overly expensive. As for fruit and veg, i'm not sure on this one, but are there any farmers markets etc in NZ? If space is available, what about growing your own? I ask as this is something that i'm going to have to find out anyway as my wife and i are currently planning the permanent leap over to NZ.
Most of us do all the above exactly as you have suggested . Some of us have been here for years & very much have to live this way & be mindful of our budgets all the time.

Yup. NZ is an expensive place to live these years.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I see your point lol.

Yes there are farmer's markets, there's one at Matakana, one in Parnell & one in Hobsonville. What you save on the fruit & veg you'll make up for in the cost of driving to them.

I do like the beef here & yes it's cheaper than the UK. The chicken tends to be very watery and I've bought all different brands over the years. I only buy free range chicken. It's expensive though. I used to eat a lot of turkey when we lived in the UK but it's hard to get here. I've not managed to buy a fresh turkey yet .

There's Fruit World in Whangaparaoa and one at Silverdale but they aren't necessarily cheaper than the supermarkets. Another thing I miss is fresh baby corn, can only buy it in tins and it's .

We'll have been living on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula for 10 years in January. It was good fun at first finding out where to buy stuff at the best price. I've no longer got the time or the energy to do such things. I know that prices won't be much different, the choice will be exactly the same and that I've spent ages in traffic wasting my time.

Traffic on the Peninsula is hideous now. Lots of new homes being built but of course, in true NZ fashion no new infrastructure is put in place. Hence, an accident grinds the whole place to a halt & that's before you even reach SH1.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Ahhh yes, one way in, one way out, I heard there were plans for another way in / out at Stillwater on the cards, when we were there in December, we carried on up highway 1 to Silverdale and back down to Whangaparaoa. Traffic was horrendous. There's been a lot of houses built in the last year or 2 but no means of supporting it.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

Ahhh yes, one way in, one way out, I heard there were plans for another way in / out at Stillwater on the cards, when we were there in December, we carried on up highway 1 to Silverdale and back down to Whangaparaoa. Traffic was horrendous. There's been a lot of houses built in the last year or 2 but no means of supporting it.
Ah yes, Penlink! That's been on the cards for donkeys years. One of the reasons we moved to GH was because they were going to be building this. Don't hold your breath
Old Oct 17th 2016, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
<snip> I used to eat a lot of turkey when we lived in the UK but it's hard to get here. I've not managed to buy a fresh turkey yet . <Snip>
Up North (trying to remember where) we were amazed to see wild turkeys.

A lot thinner and faster moving than the UK farmed ones, bur definitely turkeys.

So all you need is a shotgun.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.