Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

"Everyday" costs in NZ

"Everyday" costs in NZ

Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: "Everyday" costs in NZ

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
I love a good food shop and in any case, my food needs are fairly simple, I make most stuff from scratch. My family and I are (supposedly) boring and don't eat a great deal of bread, sugary food, cereal, dairy, saving the naughty but nice stuff for meals out. I'm more likely to bake than I am to buy confectionary.
That's great, because convenience foods (jars/heat & eat) are expensive. There's been some discussion about Fruit World/local grocers. Definitely cheaper and definitely better quality. I too, am amazed at the cost of lamb in the country that produces it ($27.99/kg compared to chicken at $4.99/kg for drumsticks or $9.99 for breast; or pork at around $12.99/kg)
And if anyone does find it more expensive are these costs outweighed by other day to day/month to month expenses, such as; The NZ version of council tax, water rates, energy bills, petrol, home insurance, medical care, car insurance, the NZ version of an MOT, Sky TV ... anything else you might consider as a regular cost?
It's been some time since I budgeted in the UK, but I do remember a LOT more "extra" money at the end of paying all the bills. Luxuries like magazines, snicker bars and impulse purchases are forever gone. Buying a big ticket item like a washing machine is more likely to have me searching TradeMe than Bond & Bond.

On the flip side, I do remember purchasing fully comprehensive car insurance for a giggle because it was so ridiculously cheap in comparison to the Third Party that was all I could afford in the UK. Glad I did really, as some bugger ran into my car when it was on the drive and took off... Wouldn't be without it now, as a scary number of people drive without insurance as it's not compulsary here.

The MOT is a WOF here and is done six monthly, not annually, so that's another one to be aware of.

My one tip to any newbie is, if you see a bargain, grab it. Nothing worse than missing out because they're not bringing in anymore stock!
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Appreciated dlmckay. Thank you.

As for;

Originally Posted by dlmckay
My one tip to any newbie is, if you see a bargain, grab it. Nothing worse than missing out because they're not bringing in anymore stock!
Already a practice of mine, although with new currency I imagine it'll take me a small while to work out if something is genuinely a bargain or not.

I was delighted to visit earlier in the year and march straight in to a Kathmandu sale - I bought over a $1,000 dollars worth of wet and windy weather gear and a few other bits and pieces for $400.

In. My. Element.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:51 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I was delighted to visit earlier in the year and march straight in to a Kathmandu sale
As with lots of shops here, "Sales" run nearly back-to-back.

Oh and take advantage of the loyalty clubs, the Kathmandu one is def worth it.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Buying a big ticket item like a washing machine is more likely to have me searching TradeMe than Bond & Bond
On a slightly related note, I'm looking for a machine to replace ours. Has anyone got anything good or bad to say about the retailer Norman Ross?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

higgy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are still on Tesco's mailing list

Here is the link incase anyone was interested in current prices.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Speci...s/default.aspx
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Link does not work, sorry I will try later.

It would seem I cannot add the Tesco site. I was only
mentioning out of general interest.

Last edited by higgy2; Aug 22nd 2012 at 8:53 pm. Reason: Added Information
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

No worries Higgy.

People can poodle about via the usual Tesco site. I've used it to send Christmas goodies to my MIL back in Wolverhampton.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Bev
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

In 'everyday' expenses, has anyone mentioned heating costs?

These can be a big variance depending not only on your choice of method, but also on the property itself.

I know people who chew through quite big bills in winter running heaters - even Heat Pumps, whereas our heating bill consists of whatever firewood I have decided to pay for in the autumn. Some years i make the effort to source as much free wood as possible, and sometimes i just pay for a couple of cubic metres to be dumped on the driveway..

In terms of your property... just which way your building faces - ie does it get the sun shining in on a winters day, makes a big difference. Also, is it well insulated (for a couple of days work and a couple $Ks you can fairly easily insulate your above and below) makes a big difference.

I know some families who have gone down the route of a home ventilation system (eg HRV here in NZ) that not only provides enough ambient heating for them to have a tiny heating bill, but has improved other factors in their homes - damp, ventilation, allergy reliefs...

Personally, I'm pleased with the woodburner option we chose when renovating. I just LIKE it. I like chopping the wood (when I have to/choose to). I like laying the fire. I like looking at the flames. I like the heat. I like cooking on the top - it's a radiant version and we use it at least once a week to prepare food on in winter. I like the appearance of it. I quite like the fact that firewood is a renewable resource.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

University of Otago is free, at least it used to be.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Are you guys sure that by moving to NZ WILL (necessarily) put you on a lower wage? Surely it can't be like that for everyone otherwise there's something weird in the maths. If you look it up, the average salary of someone in the UK is very similar to the average salary of someone in NZ. So if someone in making less than they did in UK, then surely someone else must be making more (law of averages)? Or am I completely batty?
At the current exchange rate of approximately 1NZD = 1.95GBP then the salaries in NZ look comparable to the salaries in the UK. Even the legal minimum-wage in the two countries is similar. Of course at this exchange rate then the houses in NZ are more expensive than the UK.

If the exchange rate is 1NZD = 3GBP, which was the rate it hovered around for the ten years before I moved to NZ, then the comparisons are turned on their head.

It makes sense though, if businesses in New Zealand need to do any sort of work with people overseas, good reliable IT is a must, one would think.

I work in IT here in NZ. The technology that I have to work with now would have been considered 'old-fashioned' in the UK twenty years ago. It's a lot of fun.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aucklander
I don't think that this information is correct. I just had a look. Domestic fees are about $600-4500 per paper. Maybe I am looking at the wrong information so please correct me because I would be interested in taking a few courses. I also looked at the courses at Massey a while ago and they all were around $600.
In Germany you pay €200-500 per semester (sic!). That also includes a ticket for the public transport. That is cheap. NZ is expensive. Things are changing in Germany as well though. Some universities start to charge quite a lot for Master programs.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:49 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aucklander
nah but close....S.I.T. advertise zero fees for NZers.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:50 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

One comment about prescriptions, if you're on a particular medication ask your doc whether there is a funded version as this will cost you only $3 per script.
The active ingredients will be the same but the tradename is different. Obviously it all depends on what you take but always worth checking before carrying on with what you were on in the UK. I have changed pills 3 times since getting here-exactly the same dose and active ingredients but different tradename.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 7:03 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
On a slightly related note, I'm looking for a machine to replace ours. Has anyone got anything good or bad to say about the retailer Norman Ross?
I'd be interested in the reply to this as I saw a washing maching for sale at Norman Ross for $349. Our rental period on our washing maching had not expired so I didn't get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.