Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

"Everyday" costs in NZ

"Everyday" costs in NZ

Old Aug 16th 2012, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of
Default Re: "Everyday" costs in NZ

What would a old wizard need with the pill?
Old Aug 17th 2012, 1:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Dumbledore
BTW - if I call the GP up and ask her to mail me a prescription for the Pill, that costs me $15 !!
Local surgery tries to charge the OH $10 for taking his repeat script a 2 min walk to the pharmacy without telling him.

Nopes. We can walk that over ourselves .
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisamct
Not here, $29 for mine ($26 for a GP appt and $3 for the script)
dread to think what mine is going to cost. I've managed to get my GP in England to prescribe me a years worth before I came out, and then my mum went back just short of a year later to get another years worth.

I don't think she'll be able to get anymore and they are due to run out in a couple of months.

The last ones I had to pay for in Aus were $80 for a 3 month supply (....i'm limited with the kind i can take.)
Old Aug 17th 2012, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dumbledore
Yup, food is extremely expensive in NZ.

re other costs, here are some examples :-

6 mths supply of contraceptive pill $130
Latest annual rates bill (4 bed house, central Auckland). $2.850
Pub meal for 2 (one drink each, garlic bread + main). $60 - $70
Water bill - quarterly (2 people) $150
Cleaner (2.5 hours) $92
Night's accomodation for weekend away -motel. $150 for room
Car insurance - per year. $850
Visit to GP (central Auckland). $50
Shoes - decent, leather. $150 - $200
Books - very dear. $30 - $50
Cinema ticket - weekend. $18

Australia is a lot cheaper relative to incomes for everything other than housing (Sydney, Melbourne).

Unfortunately NZ was a very affordable place to live when I first arrived in the late 90's (I remember Petrol at $0.70 per litre), but costs now going through roof whilst incomes & opportunities have been static for the past 5 years

Shit

Our cleaner is 15 bux an hour and we run 2 very expensive european cars and our ins is not that much

It,s been a while since i bought the pill so i cant help u on that one, everything else seems about right

Neil

Last edited by Jan n Neil; Aug 17th 2012 at 6:45 am.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Cornishkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

At the moment we are on tank water so don't pay any water rates, but when we were on the mains supply we paid the same per year here in NZ that we used to pay per month in Cornwall.

Supermarkets are more expensive I think. When we were back in the UK last year we were pretty amazed at how cheap food shopping seemed to be. We were expecting to pay 2-3 times what it actually costs. We also cook most things from scratch and buy quality meat/veg etc.

If you are a wine drinker then you'll appreciate the fantastic wines NZ has to offer. We do

Petrol is cheaper than the UK.

Overall for us our standard of living is better. But then we earn a lot more in Auckland than we did in Cornwall (rural County -v- City)

Anything else you need to know?
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cornishkiwi
Overall for us our standard of living is better. But then we earn a lot more in Auckland than we did in Cornwall (rural County -v- City)
This is good stuff.

Interesting that you say you get paid MORE in New Zealand, the general perception is that one earns LESS in NZ.

Anyway. I'm fully prepared, expectation-wise, for earning less in New Zealand.

I will be emigrating from the UK never having a debt in my life except for my student loan which was paid off a few years back. Credit card companies don't make a penny from me - I pay off in full every month, much to my personal amusement.

To that end, I'm coming to New Zealand and looking forward to starting with a blank canvas; what will be will be, money comes and goes, you don't take it with you, [add your monetary cliche here].

My wife in the enviable position of having some reasonably valued assests in NZ, which when sold will go a long way to buying a house. So saving for a house isn't a priority. So long as we've got enough money to put a roof over our heads, get food and the table and afford a car we'll be doing just fine. Any extra will go on holidays, sport and gym memberships, I imagine.

On the back of this, we're also leaving a reasonable amount of cash here in the UK to accumulate interest - if we need to break in to it, which we shouldn't, it's accessible. Also the money I cheekily invested in a business - which should give me a return of at least £10k GBP per year, for 3 years.

So there you have it. All planned out and fingers in pies - clearly, I'm not moving to NZ to make money. My reasons are far more important than that.

In fact, once settled in NZ, I'm tempted to do some studies in NZ with the intention of a change in career.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Aug 17th 2012 at 11:00 am.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
This is good stuff.

Interesting that you say you get paid MORE in New Zealand, the general perception is that one earns LESS in NZ.

Anyway. I'm fully prepared, expectation-wise, for earning less in New Zealand.

I will be emigrating from the UK never having a debt in my life except for my student loan which was paid off a few years back. Credit card companies don't make a penny from me - I pay off in full every month, much to my personal amusement.

To that end, I'm coming to New Zealand and looking forward to starting with a blank canvas; what will be will be, money comes and goes, you don't take it with you, [add your monetary cliche here].

My wife in the enviable position of having some reasonably valued assests in NZ, which when sold will go a long way to buying a house. So saving for a house isn't a priority. So long as we've got enough money to put a roof over our heads, get food and the table and afford a car we'll be doing just fine. Any extra will go on holidays, sport and gym memberships, I imagine.

On the back of this, we're also leaving a reasonable amount of cash here in the UK to accumulate interest - if we need to break in to it, which we shouldn't, it's accessible. Also the money I cheekily invested in a business - which should give me a return of at least £10k GBP per year, for 3 years.

So there you have it. All planned out and fingers in pies - clearly, I'm not moving to NZ to make money. My reasons are far more important than that.

In fact, once settled in NZ, I'm tempted to do some studies in NZ with the intention of a change in career.
You need money to study.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 8:49 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
You need money to study.
Study here is cheap, way cheaper than the UK. But you won't get student loans until you've been here two years.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Erm ... Yeah, I'm quite aware of the requirements the are necessary to make studies possible.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:16 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
You need money to study.
Did you read his post? Seems somewhat financially astute to me....
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by simonsi
Did you read his post? Seems somewhat financially astute to me....
Some call me tight ...

Always first to the bar though
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:20 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Averages are only meaningful to statisticians, immigrants only have what they did earn and what they will earn as relevant factors....
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by simonsi
Averages are only meaningful to statisticians, immigrants only have what they did earn and what they will earn as relevant factors....
The are lies, there are damned lies, then there are statistics ...

You make a salient point. I've noticed on here that people in the healthcare industry can earn more in NZ for instance and seem delighted about that.

But generally people are at pains to stress that YOU WILL NOT EARN AS MUCH HERE ... As if the majority of immigrants go to NZ to make money, unless they have an amazing business idea that's likely to take off in a big way in NZ.

To me the quality of life is important, I don't have a bad life in the UK, but I'm willing to take a pay cut to see if family life is significantly improved in NZ as I suspect it will be.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

The are lies, there are damned lies, then there are statistics ...

You make a salient point. I've noticed on here that people in the healthcare industry can earn more in NZ for instance and seem delighted about that.

But generally people are at pains to stress that YOU WILL NOT EARN AS MUCH HERE ... As if the majority of immigrants go to NZ to make money, unless they have an amazing business idea that's likely to take off in a big way in NZ.

To me the quality of life is important, I don't have a bad life in the UK, but I'm willing to take a pay cut to see if family life is significantly improved in NZ as I suspect it will be.
When I first came over to NZ I was paid far less as a midwife than I was in the UK. But then the $ to the GBP was higher. Now it's 2:1, salaries seem much better in NZ. I had a good salary in the UK because I had been qualified a number of years & also had 42 days annual leave.
We didn't come here to get rich but we certainly didn't come here to become poor either.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Study here is cheap, way cheaper than the UK. But you won't get student loans until you've been here two years.
Just finished my Master at a UK uni and had a look at the unis here and don't think it is way cheaper. In Germany it is way cheaper as it is basically for free but not NZ. I think it is expensive to study here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.