English test

Old May 20th 2016, 9:56 am
Just Joined

jinjan22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English test

My wife has secured a job in Auckland as a community mental health nurse but could anyone confirm or deny if I need to sit the IELTS. We are applying through the skilled migrant category visa as a family with three young children.
Old May 20th 2016, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English test

Without knowing your command of English, or the length of time spent reading and speaking it, how could we know?

You have to prove adequate ability through things such as studying for a qualification on an English based course, or other provable evidence that you are an English speaker.
Old May 20th 2016, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

If she is the applicant, she will need to do the test. I'm not sure if you are asking if you need to do it too? If so, then I don't think you will.
Old May 20th 2016, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jinjan22
My wife has secured a job in Auckland as a community mental health nurse but could anyone confirm or deny if I need to sit the IELTS. We are applying through the skilled migrant category visa as a family with three young children.
IELTS is mandatory for anyone applying for nursing or medical registration. Doesn't make any difference what your background is, where you were born, educated etc etc. It is also the Academic test that you must complete and at a higher level than what would be required for Immigration - minimum overall of 7.0 whereas for Immigration purposes it would be minimum overall 6.5.
IELTS may not be necessary specifically for Immigration purposes if you are English born and have English parents and have been brought up with English as your only language, but you can use the results for the registration and Immigration.
So, your wife must complete IELTS.

You would only need to sit IELTS if it is mandatory for any professional registration (like nursing registration) or maybe if you are claiming your partner points on the Skilled Migrant application and there is no other way that you can prove you are English - however as I said above, if you are English from English parents and have been brought up in England all your life then there should be no doubt in Immigrations eyes that you meet the minimum basic English requirement.

Last edited by escapedtonz; May 20th 2016 at 7:55 pm.
Old May 21st 2016, 11:46 am
Just Joined

jinjan22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. It was to see if I had to sit it. We know that she has to pass it for registration and visa.
She has booked it now so fingers crossed she passes.
Once again thanks.