Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Employment Dance

The Employment Dance

Old Mar 29th 2015, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

McLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really nice
Default Re: The Employment Dance

Originally Posted by Chocoholics
I don't know the area well but you could check on Jobs on SEEK - New Zealand's no.1 Employment, Career and Recruitment site and Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me
websites to get an idea of who is hiring. I agree with others that your chances will be much better if you come here. Good luck!
Thanks for the links, I already have them in my frequently visited sites though

Trade me is pretty useful though, if a bit clumsy to filter your results.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 10:43 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McLeod
Ha! We have all that where I live, edge of the north York moors.
I've heard people raving about how good the North York Moors are. I'd really love to visit one day.

I much prefer being in a rural spot.
Yep, I'd prefer to live in a town rather than a suburb of a larger town. However, I'm prepared to be flexible.

How come you found it hard to settle in ChCh?
It was 3 weeks after the fatal earthquake on 26 Feb 2011 that we arrived in ChCh. We were due to fly from Britain on 28 Feb. It was to late to change our plans. We had sold our house, converted our money into NZ dollars and sent it to NZ, quit our jobs, said goodbye to friends and family. On arrival we stayed in Auckland for a couple of weeks longer than planned whilst visiting my husband's mother and sister and while waiting for things to settle in Chch. I quickly realized this was a silly idea and we'd better get to ChCh soonest as our ships container with all our stuff was due to dock there.

My husband was getting job interviews but no job offers in Chch. I got a temporary job for three months that lasted four weeks as they got a previous employee to do the job instead, yeah, that old chestnut. We were going nowhere fast while our 'start up' capital was dwindling. We even handed back the rental car to save costs. Yes, we were that broke. I have an all time memory of going on the bus to collect our groceries and loading them into our backpacks to make them easier to carry.

My husband took the view that, well, he got us into this. The unspoken, 'and he better get us out of it' was kinda self evident.

That's when he accepted the job he's doing now. I would have sold my own grandmother to raise funds to get out of Christchurch. The fact that she died in 1983 was neither here nor there.

I hope you stick it out, you should at least get citizenship before coming back here.
We will. I will.

Why you want to live in a place that has 6 months of perpetual darkness though is beyond me!
I've told you a million times, do not exaggerate ! Since when has Britain been in the Arctic Circle ? It's dark at 5.15pm in the winter in NZ and not light till about 8am. OK, the days are longer in the winter but would will you be doing with that extra daylight in the winter in NZ anyway ? Indoors 'cause it's cold ? Thought so.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Apr 1st 2015 at 12:26 am. Reason: old chestnut
Old Mar 29th 2015, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

McLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really nice

It starts getting dark at 3.45 in winter here, you forgot. And its not just cold, it eats your bones away! And it might be light in summer, but its still blumin cold, apart for that 1 week in august when its sunny and when you can't get time off work.

And only mentalists swim in the sea here, cause it's colder than an Eskimos winkie.

Better than the north York moors is glen ridding at the end of summer. Most beautiful part of the UK IMO. Not that the north York moors isn't amazing itself.

None of it is a patch on the scenery the south island has to offer though. Lake Pukaki?

It sounds like you had quite a bumpy start getting settled in NZ, and I keep reading similar stories on here, not just with people moving to NZ but Canada and AUS too.

Scary stuff, but glad you found your feet.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 1:17 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Not that i think AKL is bad, but its where ever bugger goes, and I prefer being close to rural areas. I live in a tiny village on the border of the north york moors in the uk, where captain cook grew up. We love it here in fairness, its nice, and being near the coast is nice.
Marton? Great Ayton?
I have fond memories of going on many Captain Cook related day trips from school. Only a few years ago.....ahem!

Im half tempted to apply for the AKL role and be done with. I just know tht if i move there it will be a huge struggle for me and the family - it being so expensive, and we would just want to move to south island, but would be stuck due to the visa.
I've nothing to add to what has already been said by others really.
However if you really don't want to be in Auckland and you have good or reasonable prospects elsewhere then I'd consider waiting to get the job you want even if it takes a bit longer. Easier and cheaper than moving again and spending time somewhere you don't want to be.

You can change jobs if you're on a WTR [accredited employer] visa as long as the new employer is also accredited and all the conditions such as salary, job length and hours mean you are still eligible for that visa.
It limits your options but can be done. You could also apply for residency under the SMC whilst on the WTR visa. Once that is granted you are free to work anywhere- you can flip burgers at Mcdonalds if you so wish
Old Mar 30th 2015, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

We came from Scarborough 3.5 years ago. Only way I'm going back is either deportation or in an urn. Lovely scenery, nice picture postcard villages etc but no thanks, Christchurch has been a revelation and opened so many doors.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
We came from Scarborough 3.5 years ago. Only way I'm going back is either deportation or in an urn. Lovely scenery, nice picture postcard villages etc but no thanks, Christchurch has been a revelation and opened so many doors.
I'm 15 minutes outside Scarborough. It is nice out here in the countryside, and being close to the beach, even if it is too cold to do anything on said beach.

Its nice when its not covered in tourists and all the crazy traffic, winter walks along the north beach are something I enjoy.

Christchurch is our intended destination too Mark, and my attitude will be similar when we get out there. Don't want to visit the UK, it will be a place in the past.

How long have you been out there?

And where ever I go in the world, there's always a Mark Smith!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

We are like a plague us Smiths.

We've been here since Nov 2011 and settling nicely, got here next to nowt financially and only a job offer for my wife.

Still not all roses here, plenty of rush hour traffic, interesting styles of driving, living costs, no NHS etc. Although good local craft beer scene emerging at the moment
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Well, i like making my own beer too.

Decided that a trip out to do a reccy is the best way forward, so I might be out there soon for a week or two, just to get a feel for the place and try get a few face to face interviews.

Not sure what employers are accredited in ChCh for my line of work, I only know of the one.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Give me a shout if you fancy a beer, good luck with the reccy
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Give me a shout if you fancy a beer, good luck with the reccy
Will do Mark, you can show me where to avoid
Old Mar 31st 2015, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot

I've heard people raving about how good the North York Moors are. I'd really love to visit one day.

Yep, I'd prefer to live in a town rather than a suburb of a larger town. However, I'm prepared to be flexible.

It was 3 weeks after the fatal earthquake on 26 Feb 2011 that we arrived in ChCh. We were due to fly from Britain on 28 Feb. It was to late to change our plans. We had sold our house, converted our money into NZ dollars and sent it to NZ, quit our jobs, said goodbye to friends and family. On arrival we stayed in Auckland for a couple of weeks longer than planned whilst visiting my husband's mother and sister and while waiting for things to settle in Chch. I quickly realized this was a silly idea and we'd better get to ChCh soonest as our ships container with all our stuff was due to dock there.

My husband was getting job interviews but no job offers in Chch. I got a temporary job for three months that lasted four weeks as they got a previous employee to do the job instead, yeah, that old chestnut. We were going nowhere fast while our 'start up' capital was dwindling. We even handed back the rental car to save costs. Yes, we were that broke. I have an all time memory of going on the bus to collect our groceries and loading them into our backpacks to make them easier to carry.

My husband took the view that, well, he got us into this. The unspoken, 'and he better get us out of it' was kinda self evident.

That's when he accepted the job he's doing now. I would have sold my own grandmother to raise funds to get out of Christchurch. The fact that she died in 1983 was neither here nor there.

We will. I will.

I've told you a million times, do not exaggerate ! Since when has Britain been in the Arctic Circle ? It's dark at 5.15pm in the winter in NZ and not light till about 8am. OK, the days are longer in the winter but would will you be doing with that extra daylight in the winter in NZ anyway ? Indoors 'cause it's cold ? Thought so.
I'd love to see his reaction when he's in a freezing damp cold rental in Christchurch. All those silly comments about the UK and weather will be regretted

Warm weather... Dubai or Sharm El Sheikh.... that way

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 1st 2015 at 2:49 am. Reason: quotes
Old Mar 31st 2015, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blade Down Under

I'd love to see his reaction when he's in a freezing damp cold rental in Christchurch. All those silly comments about the UK and weather will be regretted

Warm weather... Dubai or Sharm El Sheikh.... that way
No, I'm well aware of what to expect.
And I wouldn't live in any of those countries as I prefer my head in the attached fashion I've grown accustomed to.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 1st 2015 at 2:48 am. Reason: fix quote as requested
Old Mar 31st 2015, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Have you given Assurity a try McLeod??? I know they are a software company that do all things IT. I saw somewhere that they were looking for a software developer but I think that was based in Wellington. I see you want Christchurch but I highly recommend you do not rule Wellington out.

There is also IBM but they're in Auckland. I wouldn't recommend Hewlett Packard. I think the government jobs are opening up to offer to migrants but again most of those are in Wellington. Finally there's Intergen in Christchurch as well which I believe a Hammer on here got a job through...

Also look at Dunedin. Not trying to put Paradise City off to you, but keep the options open. Each city has a huge selling point, particularly Wellington in my opinion.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tom H
Have you given Assurity a try McLeod??? I know they are a software company that do all things IT. I saw somewhere that they were looking for a software developer but I think that was based in Wellington. I see you want Christchurch but I highly recommend you do not rule Wellington out.

There is also IBM but they're in Auckland. I wouldn't recommend Hewlett Packard. I think the government jobs are opening up to offer to migrants but again most of those are in Wellington. Finally there's Intergen in Christchurch as well which I believe a Hammer on here got a job through...

Also look at Dunedin. Not trying to put Paradise City off to you, but keep the options open. Each city has a huge selling point, particularly Wellington in my opinion.
Tom - thank you!
Its that sort of info that makes this place so good. I will check them out, not ruling out Wellington, but doesent it get a battering by the wind a lot?

Not that ChCh is Miami, and not that it doesent have its own weather...

Dunedin I do like the look of, but is more the kind of place I would visit, not live. Not ruling it out.

Hawkes bay area seems to have a fair few web companies, but a lot seem to be one man band retiree in the back bedroom affairs.

Also Napier looks like the NZ equivalent of Florida - full of white haired people with other white haired people visiting to enjoy cups of tea and play crown green bowls.

My impressions on these places are not first hand

I'm planning on a trip out soon, will see which places I can visit and job hunt along the way.

I'll definitely check those places out, thanks again Tom!

Last edited by McLeod; Mar 31st 2015 at 11:05 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Tom - thank you!
Its that sort of info that makes this place so good. I will check them out, not ruling out Wellington, but doesent it get a battering by the wind a lot?

Not that ChCh is Miami, and not that it doesent have its own weather...

Dunedin I do like the look of, but is more the kind of place I would visit, not live. Not ruling it out.

Hawkes bay area seems to have a fair few web companies, but a lot seem to be one man band retiree in the back bedroom affairs.

Also Napier looks like the NZ equivalent of Florida - full of white haired people with other white haired people visiting to enjoy cups of tea and play crown green bowls.

My impressions on these places are not first hand

I'm planning on a trip out soon, will see which places I can visit and job hunt along the way.

I'll definitely check those places out, thanks again Tom!
Once you discover the famous North-Easter of Paradise City, you'll understand that there's not a great deal of difference in wind between Wellington and Christchurch

If you are a city person in particular (though I see you're from North Yorkshire so this may not apply), you may want to consider Wellington. Christchurch is going through major repairs and given the outlook of the new plans, it won't have that city CBD feel that Wellington and Auckland have in particular. It's not a criticism, but if one likes his/her city centre shopping and not overload of malls - then this isn't really the city

Jade software and ARC are other companies to look into by the way. Or you could look into going to and fro the Tasman working for Talent2. Their software is brilliant!!!!

Lastly, if you have a lot of time on your hands, you could search the accreditation employers on INZ. A former colleague I worked with who was desperate to come to NZ did that, sadly things didn't work out and she's now back in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.