Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Emergency mobile alert test - 26th November.

Emergency mobile alert test - 26th November.

Old Nov 26th 2017, 7:58 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emergency mobile alert test - 26th November.

Originally Posted by BEVS
It didn't seem to reach my J2 Samsung phone . Not even a txt.
Yep J3 or later to be supported, its not a txt msg so zero chance for unsupported and older phones, not sure why they don't do both TBH and maximise coverage that way...
Old Nov 27th 2017, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they thought the Luddites with the old phones would probably know someone who lives in the 21st century who could be relied on to tell them what was going on.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 6:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Yep J3 or later to be supported, its not a txt msg so zero chance for unsupported and older phones, not sure why they don't do both TBH and maximise coverage that way...
Have to say I am baffled by the use of smartphones - and only selected smartphones at that.
We've been involved with Emergency Alert in my unit ever since it was first proposed, and the over-arching guideline has always been that we must reach the largest number of people possible - hence the fact we even do voice messages to landlines.
It defeats the object of having a mass warning system if you are only reaching a small subset of the population.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't the old nuclear attack / air raid warning sirens but just as effective
Old Nov 27th 2017, 8:40 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Some areas here do have sirens, but there are issues - pick a site relatively safe no matter what disaster is coming, keep thhem all maintained, and above all - they give you no idea what the disaster is, nor whether you should go to a shelter, move to high ground etc.
In some places there could be risk from Fire, Earthquake, Tsunami, Flood Cyclone and Storm Surge. We have even issued alerts lately for contaminated water supplies.Always helps to be able to give peole an idea what the threat is, and what action to take.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 8:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
Please see my post further up about the sirens and use of .

People with older phones, which will likely be the majority here, are NZ thrifty perhaps or maybe it is simply that we don't all need the latest wazzoos & gadgets. Just a phone that works.

Nowt wrong with wanting all the latest stuff if that is what you are into. It's all a part of the consumer market after all. I don't need that. Just something that works .

BTW. What phone do you have? It recd the alert .

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 27th 2017 at 8:58 am.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it on the supported phone/software list?
Nope but I tried to play around with other settings to see if I could get it.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Please see my post further up about the sirens and use of .

People with older phones, which will likely be the majority here, are NZ thrifty perhaps or maybe it is simply that we don't all need the latest wazzoos & gadgets. Just a phone that works.

Nowt wrong with wanting all the latest stuff if that is what you are into. It's all a part of the consumer market after all. I don't need that. Just something that works .

BTW. What phone do you have? It recd the alert .
Quite. I resisted getting a smart phone for a long time. I still prefer my little Nokia that did me proud for many a year.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 7:12 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have to say I am baffled by the use of smartphones - and only selected smartphones at that.
We've been involved with Emergency Alert in my unit ever since it was first proposed, and the over-arching guideline has always been that we must reach the largest number of people possible - hence the fact we even do voice messages to landlines.
It defeats the object of having a mass warning system if you are only reaching a small subset of the population.
https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT202743

This is a specific notification method only open to Govt agencies - to differentiate it from normal sms/txt.

No idea why they only chose this or why they didn't fund multiple systems to increase the coverage - but a report here:

http://www.researchnz.com/pdf/Specia...martphones.pdf

Shows 70% penetration of smartphones as of 2015 so they have likely been guided by that, factor in only 1 smartphone in the family may need it for the overnight hours or in an office and that probably gives a really good coverage result, capable iPhones will likely be updated within a year to iOS 11 etc etc...

Note if you want to use an old phone then make sure you have a good buddy with a smartphone to let you know...
Old Nov 28th 2017, 2:27 am
Home and Happy

https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT202743

This is a specific notification method only open to Govt agencies - to differentiate it from normal sms/txt.

No idea why they only chose this or why they didn't fund multiple systems to increase the coverage - but a report here:

http://www.researchnz.com/pdf/Specia...martphones.pdf

Shows 70% penetration of smartphones as of 2015 so they have likely been guided by that, factor in only 1 smartphone in the family may need it for the overnight hours or in an office and that probably gives a really good coverage result, capable iPhones will likely be updated within a year to iOS 11 etc etc...

Note if you want to use an old phone then make sure you have a good buddy with a smartphone to let you know...
The very idea that they can turn them OFF astounds me. We do get requests from the public to opt out of the system but in Aus it impossible. If your phone - any phone - is in range, it will get it, like it or not. I don't have a lot of praise for things Australian, and its not perfect, but this in one system that I think is world class
Old Nov 28th 2017, 4:52 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If your phone - any phone - is in range, it will get it, like it or not.
Not quite, it can be muted, blocked etc. If enabled (and they are all enabled by default), on the smartphones that are supported then it should cut through the modern features like do not disturb, silent etc etc

And as I said, most people are in areas/groups where a smartphone is present, it isn't necessary to hit every individual phone to get an effective warning to a high %.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 6:13 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Civil defence will just have to send a boy scout around on his bicycle with a letter signed by the prime minister to inform the rest of us of the impending disaster we are about to befall.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 9:17 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Civil defence will just have to send a boy scout around on his bicycle with a letter signed by the prime minister to inform the rest of us of the impending disaster we are about to befall.
Or in the case of here , a couple of well-meaning elderly folk unable to ride bicycles.

I am not talking me and 'im.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 2:41 pm
Home and Happy

Not quite, it can be muted, blocked etc. If enabled (and they are all enabled by default), on the smartphones that are supported then it should cut through the modern features like do not disturb, silent etc etc

And as I said, most people are in areas/groups where a smartphone is present, it isn't necessary to hit every individual phone to get an effective warning to a high %.
The Australian one cannot be blocked, Admittedly if your phone is on silent you won't hear it, but it will still get to the phone.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone tried

Reply All?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.