Dunedin

Old May 10th 2016, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold
Default Dunedin

Hi All
Is there anyone living in Dunedin who could give me an idea as to where I should be looking for nice areas to buy/live in Dunedin and not to far from the CBD. I'm sick of Auckland and toying between Nelson and Dunedin to get on the housing ladder.
Thanks
Old May 10th 2016, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dunedin

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY
Hi All
Is there anyone living in Dunedin who could give me an idea as to where I should be looking for nice areas to buy/live in Dunedin and not to far from the CBD. I'm sick of Auckland and toying between Nelson and Dunedin to get on the housing ladder.
Thanks
Don't be silly - Nelson - decision made :-)
Old May 10th 2016, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Im moving down to Dunedin next week from the Waikato

We visited twice, looked at just about every suburb in Dunedin before deciding on Lawrence about 90km away.
Places we liked were St Clair, Belleknowes, St Leonards, Sawyers bay, Port Chalmers, Portobello.
There are plenty of really nice places dotted all around the place but on the whole, the city and surrounding suburbs
were just a bit too hilly for what we were after. We left Auckland for Cambridge 3 years ago to buy a home as prices
were ridiculous then, so I can't imagine how difficult it is now. We looked at one place in Lawrence that was very similar
to the place we left in Devonport but it had half an acre of garden, all for $225k. I know prices are location based but
the point I'm making is, there are houses of a very high standard for very affordable prices in some lovely locations

Because of my work, we couldn't consider Nelson but the wife tells me it is a very very nice place.
Old May 10th 2016, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Im moving down to Dunedin next week from the Waikato

We visited twice, looked at just about every suburb in Dunedin before deciding on Lawrence about 90km away.
Places we liked were St Clair, Belleknowes, St Leonards, Sawyers bay, Port Chalmers, Portobello.
There are plenty of really nice places dotted all around the place but on the whole, the city and surrounding suburbs
were just a bit too hilly for what we were after. We left Auckland for Cambridge 3 years ago to buy a home as prices
were ridiculous then, so I can't imagine how difficult it is now. We looked at one place in Lawrence that was very similar
to the place we left in Devonport but it had half an acre of garden, all for $225k. I know prices are location based but
the point I'm making is, there are houses of a very high standard for very affordable prices in some lovely locations

Because of my work, we couldn't consider Nelson but the wife tells me it is a very very nice place.

Dunedin seems to be the place and it always surprises me how many people don't consider it, but then again expats are focused on Auckland/Wellington because of employment. I wouldn't mind the hills, think that makes it great.
Old May 10th 2016, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

The hills were only an issue because we wanted a big garden, i didn't fancy pushing my lawn mower up a 30 degree slope.

I've preached the "dont go to Auckland" mantra for so long, it never ceases to amaze me how many still
want to go and be a slave to a mortgage, its not why I came to NZ

Last edited by Justcol; May 10th 2016 at 9:53 am.
Old May 10th 2016, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
The hills were only an issue because we wanted a big garden, i didn't fancy pushing my lawn mower up a 30 degree slope.
That's true. Have no slope and am wrecked after mowing
Old May 11th 2016, 12:35 am
Just Joined

kiwi white is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the Waverley/Andersons Bay area and really like it. And everywhere is quite close to the CBD in Dunedin!
Old May 22nd 2016, 3:07 am
Just Joined

stubarrhamilton is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been here 5 years, dunedin is nice enough to live in but it's easy access to central otago wins it for me plus easy affordable housing, but yes don't count on finding a flat or decent garden in the town itself. For recommended areas, I guess people here decide that based on how cold it will be so places in the valleys eg. Northeast Valley kaikorai valley and any streets in low sun hrs should be avoided. House quality just depends on the house rather than the area. Plan on spending some money on your house to make it warmer. For security most areas are ok I think the crime is pretty low. Locals may say avoid caversham, brockville, halfway bush, dunedin is small and each street is different. Just out of town could be nice near the sea but you have to consider the weather. The only thing I found difficult was finding friends and a girlfriend lol.
Old May 22nd 2016, 9:33 am
Just Joined

kakapo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, depends of course what you want but some good areas are:
hill suburbs - Maori Hill, Roslyn, Belleknowes, Mornington
beach - some parts of St Clair
peninsula - Musselburgh, McAndrew Bay, Andersons Bay
Old May 23rd 2016, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

I looked at St Clair, then saw the photos of the flood
then read the report that its only half a meter above sea level
So decided it wasn't worth the risk.
Old May 23rd 2016, 8:19 am
Just Joined

stubarrhamilton is an unknown quantity at this point

Well a lot of St clair is on a hillside as well but it's over rated, yes avoid the whole area down there near sea level