Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Down under love expo- is it worth it?

Down under love expo- is it worth it?

Old Oct 10th 2016, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Rwilkins1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Down under love expo- is it worth it?

Hi
Thinking of a move to New Zealand I am a U.K. Registered nurse and my husband is a vet nurse. Would people recommend the down under live expo or is it a waste of time and money?
Thanks
Old Oct 10th 2016, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Down under love expo- is it worth it?

Originally Posted by Rwilkins1989
Hi
Thinking of a move to New Zealand I am a U.K. Registered nurse and my husband is a vet nurse. Would people recommend the down under live expo or is it a waste of time and money?
Thanks
I think they are worth it, have been before and I'm going again this weekend, lots of info to be gained and several health recruitment companies are going to be there
Old Oct 10th 2016, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

spideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nice

Oh boy have I got some advice for you don't do nursing in New Zealand the health boards are a mess, they operate with a type of cronyism and there is also some prejudice against other nationalities. The other factors you need to consider as a nurse the promotional prospects are terrible its almost basically your a nurse or a manager and believe me there is very little support from management. The othe
r issue there is very little further education for nurses and most places you will find will give you very limited further education due to the cost. Another issue you need to consider is that compared to the UK New Zealand doesn't have a huge nursing shortage its there but nowhere near as bad so you will not have job opportunities as you would in the UK. Basic pay is ok but there are issues around bonuses and overtime rates the health boards have cut back considerably and its getting worse all the time and there have even been staff freezes due to budget issues. The other issues you need to consider is New Zealand right for you there are a number of thread on the net about what are the real problems in New Zealand as the government promotes it as paradise when there are some serious issues here. Main thing is check out the cost of living and property but that will also depend on were you want to live forget Auckland even if both of you are working and prob even Wellington and Christchurch as house prices are very expensive, hope this helps any more questions give us a shout.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 11:45 pm
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spideyo
The other issues you need to consider is New Zealand right for you there are a number of thread on the net about what are the real problems in New Zealand as the government promotes it as paradise when there are some serious issues here. Main thing is check out the cost of living and property but that will also depend on were you want to live forget Auckland even if both of you are working and prob even Wellington and Christchurch as house prices are very expensive, hope this helps any more questions give us a shout.
On the plus side, if you rent there's no council tax or water rates. Didn't realise that at first when contemplating the eye watering rents in Wellington. Take off $100 p/w and that's roughly equivalent to UK rent. Rubbish collection costs are paid for by buying special bin bags, recycling is free to collect. It's a foreign country even though they speak English, eyes wide open and be prepared for a culture shock. Wild swings between thinking its fantastic to thinking it's a nightmare. Hopefully when things settle down you'll be somewhere in the middle and settle down to life in a foreign country which not everyone gets the chance to do. Of course there are problems with NZ, name one country that doesn't have some sort of social problems. It's pretty standard and if you come here to live rather than as a tourist, you will just accept these things as we do living in UK. Don't be put off by the negative stuff but don't ignore it completely as there are elements of truth. Give serious thought to the exchange rate though, the pound is seriously devalued here. On the plus side, if you live here you won't be paid the semi-worthless quid.

All the best
Old Oct 11th 2016, 12:40 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Munchkjn;12073181]recycling is free to collect.
/QUOTE]

Really ? We rent/lease a couple of recycling crates as well as leasing our wheeled bin. Our recycling is collected every fortnight. It used to be every week but then they changed it to every fortnight for the same payment !

Our rubbish is collected every week. We can buy stickers to put on our rubbish bags if we have any, 'overflow' of rubbish that won't fit into the wheelie bin. The stickered bags mean that we've paid for their removal from the same rubbish company that deals with our wheelie bin. I believe prepay bags are available too.

We went to an emigration expo at Sandown Park, Esher, Surrey a few years ago.

It was ok. It was for lots of different countries. We only paid attention to the NZ focussed things. We pretty much only went as a, 'by the way'.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 11th 2016 at 12:45 am. Reason: rubbish
Old Oct 11th 2016, 1:02 am
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Really ? We rent/lease a couple of recycling crates as well as leasing our wheeled bin. Our recycling is collected every fortnight. It used to be every week but then they changed it to every fortnight for the same payment !
Maybe it's different where you are. In Wellington we have a wheelie bin for recycling thats emptied every other week (no payment) and yellow bags for all other waste that we buy for about $1.50 that are emptied every week. We get through about one yellow bag in a normal week and fill the wheelie every other week.
Some people use green bags for recycling and you can get those free from the council.
Old Oct 12th 2016, 9:32 am
Just Joined

partnersincrime is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been to a few Down under Expo's in Birmingham. It has varied each time we have been. Last time we got nothing from it at all, times before we have taken away some useful information. NZ does seem to be "by the way...." as someone else said, much more focused on other counties. I would say worth a visit.... just depends which company's are there & which staff are there. Think we got early bird tickets which were a little cheaper.
Old Oct 12th 2016, 9:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one at the thread title?
Old Oct 12th 2016, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Thank you for bringing it to my attention can't believe I didn't notice
Old Oct 13th 2016, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Oh I was, that was why I clicked on it. I thought it was about finding partners for farmers in remote communities.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 10:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Oh I was, that was why I clicked on it. I thought it was about finding partners for farmers in remote communities.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

JoviPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spideyo
Oh boy have I got some advice for you don't do nursing in New Zealand the health boards are a mess, they operate with a type of cronyism and there is also some prejudice against other nationalities. The other factors you need to consider as a nurse the promotional prospects are terrible its almost basically your a nurse or a manager and believe me there is very little support from management. The othe
r issue there is very little further education for nurses and most places you will find will give you very limited further education due to the cost. Another issue you need to consider is that compared to the UK New Zealand doesn't have a huge nursing shortage its there but nowhere near as bad so you will not have job opportunities as you would in the UK. Basic pay is ok but there are issues around bonuses and overtime rates the health boards have cut back considerably and its getting worse all the time and there have even been staff freezes due to budget issues. The other issues you need to consider is New Zealand right for you there are a number of thread on the net about what are the real problems in New Zealand as the government promotes it as paradise when there are some serious issues here. Main thing is check out the cost of living and property but that will also depend on were you want to live forget Auckland even if both of you are working and prob even Wellington and Christchurch as house prices are very expensive, hope this helps any more questions give us a shout.
Sounds like the NHS just with pretty scenery!!!
Old Oct 25th 2016, 12:45 am
Just Joined

spideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nice

Yes you could say that prettier scenery but like the NHS,
but you would be wrong yes it has extreme funding issues like the NHS but the Nepotism in the DHBs borders on criminal and career advancement is almost non existent.