Doing the sums

Old Jul 13th 2015, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doing the sums

UK qualified plumber coming over here regardless of experience will most likely start at the bottom or maybe a couple of rungs up the ladder. The tasks and responsibilities of a UK plumber against those of an NZ plumber are probably slightly different and the fact you have no experience of working in the trade in NZ will go against you. Granted an NZ employer will want your skills here but it'll take maybe a year to prove your worth and gain some NZ experience before you'll be able to earn a decent wage. You'll also have to become registered in NZ which won't be as simple as just filling in an application form. They'll most likely have to assess your work experience and qualifications before explaining what you'll need to achieve and spend in order to become registered in NZ. It is only from this point that you'll have the status to earn a decent wage in the field.........isn't that correct Bev's ?

Just for argument's sake....$1000 is approx £432. Could you live on this weekly wage in the UK without outgoings of rent/mortgage but with the usual household costs for groceries, utilities, phone, internet, sky tv, rubbish collection, insurance, vehicles, school fees, the doctor, the dentist, childrens activities etc etc.....If not then you've no chance of affording to live on $1000 here in NZ as the cost of living is higher unless you seriously cut down on anything remotely lavish.
If you earned $52k per year, you would pay $8620 per year income tax and $754 in ACC contributions leaving $46 626 as your annual net pay which relates to a take home pay of $820 per week and that does not include any Kiwisaver contributions or regular savings for your retirement.

I had the opinion that a new migrant wouldn't be able to claim any benefits for a period of at least 12 months, maybe 2 years, however looking through the work and income site you may be eligible for accommodation, childcare and temporary additional support supplements ?
Probably better to ask the professionals via that site as if you intend to rely on some form of support from the state you'll need the guarantee that you'll actually get it on arrival before taking the leap.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 10:48 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom H
$1,000.00 a week without a mortgage...

That should be doable. We live off $1,500,00 a month when you take away the mortgage from ours, and we have 2 kids. I think you'll get about $75 FTC and $150 IWTC (or the other way round) per week for your kids. We get $38 per week for our two since the wife doesn't work anymore. Lets just say for us, that money pays for the infant formula since my wife can't breast feed (before the judges arrive).

It mainly depends on your lifestyle mind.
Are you sure you mean per month? That's less than $350 per week!
I could do that with very young kids for a short period of time if I knew it would change in the future; no way Jose could I do that with kids the age mine are or without being sure it was a short term stop-gap. And no way would I encourage people to come and live half way round the world for anything close to that.
Once kids are older they cost more in food, clothing, petrol, and in hobbies/ interests. And then there's school costs - stationery for primary kids is in region of $50-$150 depending on the school plus 'donations' (if you choose to pay them) but for high school you can be looking at $400 for stationery/ workbook/ exam costs and up to $1000 for the uniform. For example, one of our daughters dances and the lessons alone set us back 1200 per year and then there's the leotard(s), shoes, dance pants, etc., which though we buy second hand and only when absolutely needed we budget $150 per year. Exams are $50+ a go, workshop costs can be in the region of another $300 per year. That's 1 kid, 1 hobby, granted an expensive-ish one but the other daughter did a season of rowing which made dancing look like cheap streets ...

I am sure you mean $1k fortnightly or weekly?
Old Jul 14th 2015, 7:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
UK qualified plumber coming over here regardless of experience will most likely start at the bottom or maybe a couple of rungs up the ladder. The tasks and responsibilities of a UK plumber against those of an NZ plumber are probably slightly different and the fact you have no experience of working in the trade in NZ will go against you. Granted an NZ employer will want your skills here but it'll take maybe a year to prove your worth and gain some NZ experience before you'll be able to earn a decent wage. You'll also have to become registered in NZ which won't be as simple as just filling in an application form. They'll most likely have to assess your work experience and qualifications before explaining what you'll need to achieve and spend in order to become registered in NZ. It is only from this point that you'll have the status to earn a decent wage in the field.........isn't that correct Bev's ?
An overseas plumber is not seen as fully qualified in New Zealand. They must work under complete supervision until they have taken the PGDB registration exam and completed a practical assessment. For the most part this is at the overseas plumber's own cost . One would need to check with the NZ PGDB for the current costs but it did run into thousands of $$ one time.
I do believe that someone is offering a service for this in the UK. That also costs many lots of quid notes.

Even as a registered plumber you may not become self-employed without a certifying plumber willing to sign off your work. To become certified is another exam .

$700/$800 per week would be a low offer for a start wage & $700 would be below the 'going rate' for immigration purposes. I did originally read the amount as $1000 per week which would peg at $25 an hour. This is a good wage for a newly arrived plumber.

I rather thought that benefits depended on visa status & even that could be complicated with regard to IRD and also the 4 year tax exemption.

Still. The OP has not been back.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Smurtonio is an unknown quantity at this point

$1,000.00 a week without a mortgage...

That should be doable. We live off $1,500,00 a month when you take away the mortgage from ours, and we have 2 kids. I think you'll get about $75 FTC and $150 IWTC (or the other way round) per week for your kids. We get $38 per week for our two since the wife doesn't work anymore. Lets just say for us, that money pays for the infant formula since my wife can't breast feed (before the judges arrive).

It mainly depends on your lifestyle mind.
Thank you so much for all the very useful info.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there are any special requirements on tax credits and working tax credits Bevs

You just need to be a Resident holder of a visa at least. When I did our application, I couldn't see anything on time lines. Just residency requirements

You can't get student allowances/loans etc until you've been a resident for at least 3 years.

The OP indicated they'd be coming on a Resident Visa so they should be able to get the tax credits.

However, given the racist housing issues coming out from economists and MPs regarding foreign buyers, there may be a change in the house purchasing rules. The OP may want to keep an eye out on that.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

However, given the racist housing issues coming out from economists and MPs regarding foreign buyers, there may be a change in the house purchasing rules. The OP may want to keep an eye out on that.
I've been keeping a wary eye on that debate and it does concern me. If we couldn't buy or self build a house it would severely damage the NZ experience for us.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Smurtonio is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone, I guess there is a bit of how long is a piece of string going on here, nobody's lifes are the same so everyone has different expenditures, I did not mean to ruffle any feathers when mentioning what we could expect, moving with 4 children is a mission in its self and all I was trying to do was see wether it was viable, Thanks again
Old Jul 16th 2015, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
I've been keeping a wary eye on that debate and it does concern me. If we couldn't buy or self build a house it would severely damage the NZ experience for us.

I am hoping they'll be a bit more clear on this. I think what is annoying folks in particular, is foreign investors purchasing all the land and properties - with no intention of living there. It's a bit similar to the UK I feel with London properties as an example

I think the aims that the banks and NZ First, Labour, Green are to only be able to sell NZ housing to folks that are intending to stay here (residency is probably a key). Also it adds to the huge debate of affordable housing - given the Auckland crisis.

I think you and partner are trying for a residency visa so ideally you shouldn't have any problems in the unlikely event a new housing policy comes in. The only thing that may come into play is a time line for residency - as mentioned earlier with the student loan for example. Under National though, I doubt that'll ever happen - but strange things have happened with money orientated parties.