Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A dog's life in New Zealand - (posts moved from an Immy query to keep that on track.

A dog's life in New Zealand - (posts moved from an Immy query to keep that on track.

Old Oct 31st 2014, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A dog's life in New Zealand - (posts moved from an Immy query to keep that on tra

I agree, owed Border Collies in NZ and they had a great life! Could go all around Wellington and surrounds, one or two places that restricted dogs, but thats usually for good reasons. Yes we did get a permit to take our dog and horses into a DOC area, no problem, they just gave us information on the local wildlife and we had to check them out at the end of our trip, they only needed to know the dog hadn't run away and was safely out of the area, no big deal at all, didn't even have to pay for the permit either! BTW fines in area (still in OZ) $200 instant fine for not picking up poo on the ground, $400 if your dog is found off lead in public other than the few off lead areas, possible death for the dog if it (even on lead) snaps and barks at another walker even if no physical contact is made, thats of yesterday. Even bought in tough fines if your dog barks and scares someone walking past your hour house while the dog is secured behind a fence, totally nuts, can't wait to get my puppy back to NZ!
Old Nov 1st 2014, 2:32 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A dog's life in New Zealand - (posts moved from an Immy query to keep that on tra

Originally Posted by Polly 3
possible death for the dog if it (even on lead) snaps and barks at another walker even if no physical contact is made, thats of yesterday. Even bought in tough fines if your dog barks and scares someone walking past your hour house while the dog is secured behind a fence
Good. I wish New Zealand would adopt these laws. It's about time people had some rights not to be harassed by dogs. It's about time dog owners gained some sort of proper control over their dogs. Not just excuse the dog's poor behaviour, or as is usual, pretend they don't own the dog because they don't want to be identified as it's owner when it's misbehaving.

I got sick to death of being barked and growled at by someone's Labrador when I walked past their house. I used to dread it, this went on for a year and a half. Yes, I did complain to animal control. Problem solved itself when the family and their (damn) dog moved away.

Dog owners won't have it their dog is misbehaving anymore than parents will accept that their children are misbehaving. I assume dog owners actually enjoy the sound of their dog barking incessantly. Oh that's right, they're not there are they ? It's just something to entertain the rest of the neighbourhood with.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Nov 1st 2014 at 2:39 am. Reason: formatting
Old Nov 1st 2014, 3:05 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to sound moany but I totally agree with Snap Shot. If you own a dog please take it to doggy day care instead of leaving it home to howl and bark all day. Also, if you own a dog, no it's not OK for your dog to run the fence length barking madly at anyone who walks the footpath. If you own a dog, ffs, keep it on a lead unless you are in off-lead areas because your idea of exuberant friendliness just looks terrifying to anyone who is not comfortable with boisterous dogs. Also, if you own a dog, ffs, do not ever let it roam the neighbourhood turding everywhere; ditto the beach - those rules about high season dog free or leash-only areas they apply to YOUR dog too cos it's horrid when dogs turd and pee on the beach where kids play. Australia's new dog rules sound sensible to me.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold

I couldn't agree more Snap Shot, so over people how think they can just get dogs and leave them to their devices all day, no training, no care. Here all dogs must be mircochiped before sale and that helps. I must say people in my area of OZ, own horses in the same way, we rescue horses and care for them, then try to find a responsible owner for the horse once its recovered. We have seen some shameful behaviour from people that think its their right to own animals and starve them to death, thinking though, that anyone spending the huge dollars transporting animals across the world are probably responsible, well I hope so anyway!
Old Nov 1st 2014, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I also have no problem here with my dogs - yes they are small but I walk them 5k a day and take them to the local park in the evening - however, I brought mine over with me from Australia where the rules regarding dogs off leash are even stricter than here.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 10:19 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

The amount if blimin dogs roaming around her is ridiculous ! I count at least one most day and sometimes up to five dogs wandering about owners not to be seen.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree that a dog should be put down for barking at someone! I work hard to train my dog, and I know we will have a settling period with her o be she gets over. However, my dog doesn't snap or bark at people when out, but I have no problems with another dog giving her a warning nip, as its a warning for her to back off... She can be over friendly and loves anyone. Yes if someone comes and knocks at our door, she will bark... I can only work to lessen that, and it's not something that is constant.
I do not expect my dog to be put down for barking a bit to warn of someone coming onto our property and warning us. I can only assume this is aimed at dogs who snap or could have a chance of causing harm in social situations
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 8:55 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2NZ2013
The amount if blimin dogs roaming around her is ridiculous ! I count at least one most day and sometimes up to five dogs wandering about owners not to be seen.
That's something that really made me cringe when I lived in Christchurch. It's something I was not sorry to leave behind.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

I accept at a point, enough is enough. But generally speaking; Barking dogs, screaming kids and fireworks going off (topical) - aren't they a part of life?

I'm far from being a dog person, but I know enough dogs to know that a barking dog isn't necessarily an aggressive dog.

Not cleaning up dog poo though, there is no excuse for it.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 11:40 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
That's something that really made me cringe when I lived in Christchurch. It's something I was not sorry to leave behind.
I know. I'm outside chch but in canterbury .A friend of mine was bitten quite badly today by a good roaming around. she had her dog on the lead but the other one was not and the owner was nowhere to be seen.

This puts me off having a dog. Iv been here two months and already have had dogs come into my garden. I don't know if it's a nz but you can be sure if this was in uk they would all be taken away by the warden.

Last edited by moving2NZ2013; Nov 3rd 2014 at 11:43 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It seems every house that borders us has a yappy bloody dog and I step out of the front door, do gardening, put out my washing, my rubbish or get my post without setting at least one of them off into a mental barking frenzy. They sound like they are about to spin off their axis and really do sound like they are going berserk. All of these dogs are left outside in all weathers, often confined to decks and /or tied up - they're not house pets as I know it and they are certainly not treated like part of the family.